RelaxMore

Why I'm not able to send a member a personal message

Hi there,

if I try that, i receive the following message:

You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day. Please try again later.

Whats wrong?

• Like 1

what if we put a captcha on messages? then allow only one every 5 minutes for people under 100 rep? with a limit of 5/day?

Edited by Esper

22 minutes ago, Esper said:

what if we put a captcha on messages? then allow only one every 5 minutes for people under 100 rep? with a limit of 5/day?

😂🤣😀. Captcha, if I understand it correctly would catch a robot, these aren’t robots they are real. 

One every 5 minutes and a limit of 5/day!” We don’t have a full time staff, or indeed any staff, just volunteers. We were down to one message per day for New members and they were still causing too many problems.

100 reps is far too high as we have many members who read actively but not talk much , for example there was a poster only yesterday who posted his very first post but has been coming to the forum regularly since September 2016. 

Perhaps, the below thread might well illustrate our dilemma at times?

• Like 1

I am no programmer, but I thought it would be easy to implement. If it requires actual approval, wouldn't that defeat the 'Private' part of private message? I have no idea how this runs or how to make it better except for voice my thoughts and ideas. As you mentioned, that rep may not be a good idea after all.

I asked the same question when I entered this forum. There is still no answer, which is the criteria, to send private messages?

10 posts, 50 or hundred?

My really personal opinion to this: not a good idea for a forum. I wanted to contact a member near my location, whom I don't know. Due to this limitation - no chance.

I didn't come across such a limitation on other forums.

Regards