MCM5 Modifications

1 hour ago, beast@tanagra said:

That looks really sharp! What did it take to remove the GW logo discs? And what was underneath for attaching your padding to?

Thanks. I first peeled off the disks with my fingers hoping the adhesive backing would dislodge as well. No such luck. I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive and then rolled it off with my fingers. Here is what the shell looked like once the GW disk and adhesive were removed.

42742454381_0c206d231a_b.jpg

The exposed recessed area was flat so attaching my rubber padded disk to the shell with double faced tape was easy. 

42742453281_6b7325d737_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 6:36 PM, Rehab1 said:

28868955198_9b7fceac79_b.jpg

Dude this red stripe is such a nice touch... might be looking into that eventually for my MCM5 (when it arrives).

Edit: Have you noticed a difference in overall temperature after applying the red stripe? It seems to be that the area that you filled is actually used for ventilation.

Edited by nickysneids

• 2 months later...

My new Gotway MCM5 already looks 1yr old and I've only been riding it for 2 days. First wheel, total beginner. I started learning on grass but eventually you see pavement and so it goes. I will cover it up with tape but it's too late for that now. 

Rehab1, do you have a link to the round ankle pads? I would like to order these. My ankles are feeling the most pain from riding. My MCM5 arrived with 2 thick pads for the upper legs which I have not installed yet but the ankle pads are the ones I really need. I am testing the best position for these pads and will perhaps attach them with velcro in case I decide I don't need them later. I heard someone say you can turn better without the pads.

20190725_221501.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wheeliewonka said:

Rehab1, do you have a link to the round ankle pads? I would like to order these. My ankles are feeling the most pain from riding. My MCM5 arrived with 2 thick pads for the upper legs which I have not installed yet but the ankle pads are the ones I really need. I am testing the best position for these pads and will perhaps attach them with velcro in case I decide I don't need them later. I heard someone say you can turn better without the pads.

20190725_221501.jpg

Same boat here.
I've just received this beautiful wheel and I've these two pads to attach.
And, yup, I'd like to cover with a soft material those logos that hurst my ankles a little.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 1:36 AM, Rehab1 said:

I’ve just completed a few mods to my new MCM5. Nothing out of the ordinary but it feels more comfortable and is partially protected from scratches. 

1) Added padding to the side panels in the calf region for better grip. 

2) Removed the metal GW label at the ankle region and replaced it with padding. Much more comfortable.

3) Added red protective molding just above the secondary GW label to protect the shell from the pedal’s abrasive grip tape. 

4) Strategically added red protective molding to the outer perimeter of the shell. The red molding can be purchased here: http://cowlesproducts.com/oldcontent/wp/protektotrim/color-molding/

42024850774_73f77d83eb_b.jpg

42024850724_873eec4a68_b.jpg

28868955198_9b7fceac79_b.jpg

Can anyone tell me that is the size of Gw label?

On 7/10/2018 at 12:29 PM, Shad0z said:

i like how it  turned out. So  you're also a fan of red and black? :D 

Looks nice... it reminds me of the metallic red trim scheme on the Glide3/V8 quite a bit, only more pronounced with the thicker molding.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there are larger pedals available for this wheel? I wear a size 10 shoe (10.5 in the current brand) and my left foot tends to get uncomfortable when riding. It happens with both my old worn out Nikes and my brand new ASICS running shoes so I don't think the shoes are the problem. I don't know if it's because of the angled pedals or what. Are flat pedals more comfortable?