E scooter discussion/ area!!!

Moderators and who ever makes decisions, is it possible to create an area to discuss E scooters?. There is few/ many of us have purchased E scooters as well as having UECs. Would be nice to share info., knowledge and trouble shooting issues.

i could look for new forum that discusses E scooters only but it be nice to stay in one area type of thing.

Well, you can argue both ways, and in doubt I'm on the side of "Why not, let's try!", but it is an understandable decision (if it is one... @John Eucist?). If we go for all personal electric vehicles, is this going to become an e-bike, e-skateboard and scooter forum? Because these have the numbers. Keeping the focus on EUCs may have some merit, if only keeping the forum small enough so costs don't explode.

I think it can't hurt to lure others in and show them the one true way (EUCs) because other PEVs would constantly be compared to wheels and the URL shows EUC supremacy - there's some preexisting starting advantage built in here:efee8319ab:, but it's not my forum.

The OT thread idea is good, though. Start a "The official e-Scooter Thread feat. Dualtron and whatever" and see how it goes. Maybe its popularity will speak for itself?

Or maybe a small extra "Non-self-balancing electric vehicles" subforum would be an interesting experiment?

On 6/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, yourtoys7 said:

is it possible to create an area to discuss E scooters?. There is few/ many of us have purchased E scooters as well as having UECs. 

Last October I created a Moderator only thread questioning whether we should have a section for “things wot don’t self balance”.  At that time we were getting an increasing number of eSkateboard posts and attempts at advertising them as well. 

The funny thing is that @John Eucist replied: “trouble is, where do we draw the line, next it will be a eScooters and then ebikes......” As you can see our “guru” was as prophetic as ever ?.

Thereby hangs the problem. We started as a self balancing devices forum and the feeling is that is probably where we need to draw the line. To be honest more often than not we really regret including Hoverboards, as the majority of the sellers and manufacturers have no interest in helping anyone, just making money and the vast majority of users with problems cannot tell us even what make they have got or diagnose the problem further than “It don’t go no more!”

The counter argument is that I’m fairly sure almost all of us are early adopters and will be keenly interested in any and every new PEV on the market. It is also a good argument that if our most active sellers like @Jason McNeil, Speedyfeet, etc are keenly supporting a type of PEV (and that certainly does include eScooters)  then it probably is worthy of a place here.

Our, not unreasonable, conclusion at the time is that there is always the Off-topic section to discuss any new types of PEV and such discussions will be very welcome. If in future a type gets to a critical mass of discussion and those discussions are actually useful and helpful (I.e. nothing like the average Hoverboard post) then that is when we would think about giving it a section - but think about how bombarded we would likely be if we took that as far as an eBike section for example.

15 hours ago, Keith said:

The counter argument is that I’m fairly sure almost all of us are early adopters and will be keenly interested in any and every new PEV on the market. It is also a good argument that if our most active sellers like @Jason McNeil

I would be happy to help support the setup costs of an eScooter dedicated forum. For every one Unicycle that's being sold in the US right now, from what I gather from suppliers like Ninebot, there's well over ten times the amount of eScooters being made. It's almost reminiscent of the Hoverboard craze back in 2015.     

12 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I would be happy to help support the setup costs of an eScooter dedicated forum. For every one Unicycle that's being sold in the US right now, from what I gather from suppliers like Ninebot, there's well over ten times the amount of eScooters being made. It's almost reminiscent of the Hoverboard craze back in 2015.     

eScooters have EXPLODED in Southern California. Last year, as I rode along the beach trails, I rarely saw an eScooter. This spring they've been everywhere. Almost to the point that they are a nuisance. It's a weird business plan, where the user rents them and then abandons the scooter anywhere, often in the middle of a trail :eff0541f4a: 

Apparently they have GPS trackers that scavengers use to locate and then recharge them. The scavenger gets reimbursed for the effort. I've seen a couple of these guys, themselves riding a scooter and carrying multiple scooters laid cross-ways on their scooter. It's a way to make a buck I guess.

I for one think there could be room for an E-scooter section.  It doesn't take much to add one and set it up.  With the cross-interest there is between EUCs and other PEVs I don't see why the line can't be moved over a notch.

With interest in the Dualtron family of scooters growing along with other brands, it would be nice to see it all discussed in one place.  Maybe @John Eucist can revisit the topic and reconsider as there are mixed riders within family units where maybe dad/son ride EUCs and mom rides an E-Scooter.  I think there can be synergy in a common forum for both groups.  Besides, if it will help Jason and Ewheels prosper that's good for everyone considering how dealers have been dropping like flies lately.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

eScooters have EXPLODED in Southern California. Last year, as I rode along the beach trails, I rarely saw an eScooter. This spring they've been everywhere. Almost to the point that they are a nuisance. It's a weird business plan, where the user rents them and then abandons the scooter anywhere, often in the middle of a trail :eff0541f4a: 

Apparently they have GPS trackers that scavengers use to locate and then recharge them. The scavenger gets reimbursed for the effort. I've seen a couple of these guys, themselves riding a scooter and carrying multiple scooters laid cross-ways on their scooter. It's a way to make a buck I guess.

Hmm. These e-scooter people sound like a sketchy bunch. First the damnable bicyclists and now this! 

Does that Dualtron Ultra really have front & rear 1200w motors, top speed of 50 mph, not kph, mph:efee78d764:

Well, whatever ..I for one would never ..front & rear disc brakes huh?:eff02be2d7:

Archived