V10F vs KS18L?

kindnation

I already have the KS18L, excellent wheel. Now I am travelling to Singapore, a wheel friendly city-state. Instead of renting a wheel, I am going to buy the V10F to ride around for the next five years, once every year there for vacation. I like the fact that they both have about similar travelling range and the V10F is usd300 cheaper in Singapore. After I finish exploring this few hundred square miles city-state, I will ship it back to the US.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I own both,  and I can only say that I love both of them, but comfort wise I always go back to the V10f, since I find it more nimble and needs less muscles used to get it turning etc... 

but it's a different wheel 16(17) vs an 18 inch wheel is comparing apples to pears , I do find the V10f to be more natural choice for me, less effort to put in and more comfortable footplates... and if you choose the KS18L do go for the bigger footplates of the XL it's much more convenient, better etc..

cheers

CL

I love the comfort of my V10F, BIG PEDALS! It is also a very SMOOTH ride with a lovely acceleration - a beautiful, gradual build of speed - not for speed demons, more for CRUISING. Top speed of 45kph if you use DarknessBot app. GOOD IN THE RAIN! Decent trail rider. GREAT FOR CARVING!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I own both,  and I can only say that I love both of them, but comfort wise I always go back to the V10f, since I find it more nimble and needs less muscles used to get it turning etc... 

but it's a different wheel 16(17) vs an 18 inch wheel is comparing apples to pears , I do find the V10f to be more natural choice for me, less effort to put in and more comfortable footplates... and if you choose the KS18L do go for the bigger footplates of the XL it's much more convenient, better etc..

cheers

CL

I own an 18XL and a V10F, and even though I use the XL 90% of the time, because of range and off-road capability, I can't praise the V10F enough. So, I agree, for on-road in town use, it's a beautifully balanced, comfortable and nimble wheel. It’s great for light off-road, and if you don’t mind jumping a lot, you could have a lot of fun on more root/stone filled paths as well. If you don't really need a 18" wheel, you won't regret buying the V10F.

1 hour ago, Vince23heat said:

With the 18XL and V10F, do you still ride the 16S?

Almost never:( I got it in a trade, and it started my EUC journey, but I only used it for a couple of months while I waited for my 18XL. My girlfriend learned to ride on the 16s, but now she mostly uses the V10F. It now serves as a loan out wheel.

• 1 month later...

Im quite inexperienced, but I rented the V10F for 5 days and put around 60km on it (city + off road). Then I rented the 18xl for 2 days. I MUCH prefer the solid feel, carving dynamics, and speed of the 18xl. It inspires a lot more confidence IMO and the wheel feels more natural, doing what the mind wants to do effortless. It is much less nimble, but I find it is still way sufficient to carve quickly enough.

Edited by PY ⠀
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 2:37 AM, PY ⠀ said:

Im quite inexperienced, but I rented the V10F for 5 days and put around 60km on it (city + off road). Then I rented the 18xl for 2 days. I MUCH prefer the solid feel, carving dynamics, and speed of the 18xl. It inspires a lot more confidence IMO and the wheel feels more natural, doing what the mind wants to do effortless. It is much less nimble, but I find it is still way sufficient to carve quickly enough.

My experience teaching others is that they all prefer the 18XL in the beginning, because, as you say, it feels more solid and stable, which is quite natural due to the laws of physics. But as they progress in skill level, I see the short and light drift towards the V10F and the meatier stay with the 18XL, again due to physics;) I prefer the 18” in almost every scenario, especially off-road, but when it comes to high speed city riding, dodging in and out of traffic, you can’t beat a high power 16”. A 16” wheel is probably more difficult to master, at least it was so for my meaty bones, so I do believe that an 18” is a better beginner wheel if you can handle the weight and size of the wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Espen R said:

My experience teaching others is that they all prefer the 18XL in the beginning, because, as you say, it feels more solid and stable, which is quite natural due to the laws of physics. But as they progress in skill level, I see the short and light drift towards the V10F and the meatier stay with the 18XL, again due to physics;) I prefer the 18” in almost every scenario, especially off-road, but when it comes to high speed city riding, dodging in and out of traffic, you can’t beat a high power 16”. A 16” wheel is probably more difficult to master, at least it was so for my meaty bones, so I do believe that an 18” is a better beginner wheel if you can handle the weight and size of the wheel.

Interesting as you are deeply familiar with both...This was a nagging question for me when I decided to go with the V10F.

The turn off of the 18L, XL was really the noise. Of course for my own needs top speed is irrelevant...

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Espen R said:

I have the feeling you’re right on point. I’ve seen Kuji Rolls in the city with his KS16X and he was much more able to move through pedestrian traffic compared to someone else on the MSX. I can see how with time and experience I may appreciate the nimbleness of a wheel like the V10. The ultimate nimble wheel (mTen3) is reported as an absolute blast, but comes with a warning from the owners that it definitely shouldn’t be a first/beginner wheel.

Edited by PY ⠀
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PY ⠀ said:

I have the feeling you’re right on point. I’ve seen Kuji Rolls in the city with his KS16X and he was much more able to move through pedestrian traffic compared to someone else on the MSX. I can see how with time and experience I may appreciate the nimbleness of a wheel like the V10. The ultimate nimble wheel (mTen3) is reported as an absolute blast, but comes with a earning from the owners that it definitely shouldn’t be a first/beginner wheel.

I have to disagree about the mten3 not being a beginner wheel. I learned on the mten3 and I've taught half a dozen friends on the mten3. Its wide tire, high torque (smaller wheel), light weight, and low to the ground makes it easier to stay balanced while moving slowly as beginners tend to do. The fastest way to learn and reinforce muscle memory is to stay balance on the wheel as long as possible. Also, large diameter wheels often require push off technique to get it going before hopping on. Beginners want to get both feet on first then roll. This is easier on the mten3 than on larger wheels. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pico said:

Interesting as you are deeply familiar with both...This was a nagging question for me when I decided to go with the V10F.

The turn off of the 18L, XL was really the noise. Of course for my own needs top speed is irrelevant...

I can understand the noise turn off. I started with the 16S, which has a very loud "brain eating" noise, so the XL was a huge improvement. My brain has stopped hearing the coil whine when I ride the XL alone, but when I ride together with someone on a V10F I hear it loud and clear:( I really hope Inmotion would make a 18 or 19” wheel with decent amount of range, the quality feel is miles a head of Kingsong and Gotway.

• Like 1

V10 and v10f do not go faster than 38 km/h and it is only achievable for first 1/3 of battery after that max speed is reduced even more.

There is no way to increase it speed to 45 km/h.

But it is very good 30 km/h city wheel. You can ride 30km/h almost till empty battery. Riding very comfortable and wheel very nimble, silent.

KS18L is different kind of wheel 18" more stable,a lot more distance, max speed 50 km/h. But has annoying motor sound.

17 hours ago, greentung said:

I have to disagree about the mten3 not being a beginner wheel. I learned on the mten3 and I've taught half a dozen friends on the mten3. Its wide tire, high torque (smaller wheel), light weight, and low to the ground makes it easier to stay balanced while moving slowly as beginners tend to do. The fastest way to learn and reinforce muscle memory is to stay balance on the wheel as long as possible. Also, large diameter wheels often require push off technique to get it going before hopping on. Beginners want to get both feet on first then roll. This is easier on the mten3 than on larger wheels. 

Thats interesting. Makes me want to try it now. Would you say that it may be a better first wheel option than say a v8?

55 minutes ago, Espen R said:

I can understand the noise turn off. I started with the 16S, which has a very loud "brain eating" noise, so the XL was a huge improvement. My brain has stopped hearing the coil whine when I ride the XL alone, but when I ride together with someone on a V10F I hear it loud and clear:( I really hope Inmotion would make a 18 or 19” wheel with decent amount of range, the quality feel is miles a head of Kingsong and Gotway.

Ive heard there might be a v12 next year which would fit your needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skautas2003 said:

There is no way to increase it speed to 45 km/h.

You can use DarknessBot to increase top speed. But it will still throttle early. 

4 hours ago, PY ⠀ said:

Thats interesting. Makes me want to try it now. Would you say that it may be a better first wheel option than say a v8?

Hi. I have not tried a V8. I can only speak for the 14" MCM5, 16" Nikola+, and 18" Z10. The mten3 was the easiest wheel to learn on and the 14" MCM5 was the hardest. I recommend you give the mten3 a try. It's a fun inconspicuous wheel. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 1:51 AM, UniVehje said:

You can use DarknessBot to increase top speed. But it will still throttle early. 

I’ve done that, and it shows 45km/h in the INMOTION app

in reality it hits a maximum 40km/h on the GPS

i have seen 42km/h on the go pro GPS, but very very breifly, it’s a 35km/h wheel!

• 5 months later...