Jump to content
kindnation

V10F vs KS18L?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

On first ride, yes.   I'm not sure that is true the more miles I put on it.   Right now I just need some more time on the 18l.   My feet fatigue much faster on the 18l though so putting miles on is taking me longer.   I may remove the outside peddle padding (am I even supposed to leave that on there?), See if that helps.

Yes, I experience foot fatigue on my current KS 18. Although, my feet are quite a bit tougher now than they were a couple of years ago, and I can ride much longer distances before needing to rest, I still experience foot fatigue. Actually, ordered an 18L today (matte black) should arrive later in the month. Looking forward to riding the L to determine if the foot fatigue issue is any better than my current wheel. I am sure that the manufacturers will eventually tackle the comfort vs grip conflict with the foot platforms. For now, it seems the buyer must continue to choose which one they prefer to have in greater abundance. By the way, I don't have any outside pedal padding on my current 18. Not sure what purpose padding would serve on the outside of the foot platform, seems better served underneath the feet.

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Yes, I experience foot fatigue on my current KS 18. Although, my feet are quite a bit tougher now than they were a couple of years ago, and I can ride much longer distances before needing to rest, I still experience foot fatigue. Actually, ordered an 18L today (matte black) should arrive later in the month. Looking forward to riding the L to determine if the foot fatigue issue is any better than my current wheel. I am sure that the manufacturers will eventually tackle the comfort vs grip conflict with the foot platforms. For now, it seems the buyer must continue to choose which one they prefer to have in greater abundance. By the way, I don't have any outside pedal padding on my current 18. Not sure what purpose padding would serve on the outside of the foot platform, seems better served underneath the feet.

If you have the the KS18, didn't you learn to ride seated?  I can't give up my 18S because it is the only wheel with the seat that is rideable besides the GW monster.  

The foam on the pedal they put there to prevent you from scratching the case when closing the pedals.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

If you have the the KS18, didn't you learn to ride seated?  I can't give up my 18S because it is the only wheel with the seat that is rideable besides the GW monster.  

The foam on the pedal they put there to prevent you from scratching the case when closing the pedals.

 

Tried it. Didn't like it. Although I can't precisely pinpoint what it is that makes it uncomfortable for me, I suspect seated riding works better for shorter folks; I am 6' 2." That isn't Shaq height, but maybe tall enough to make me prefer resting my feet while sitting on park benches over resting on my seat while riding. I just don't feel as if I have the same level of control over the wheel when seated riding as I do with upright riding. Anyway, its pretty much a moot issue for me when the 18L arrives. By the way, I have definitely used the foam cover pad on the occasions that I ridden seated. I can't imagine appreciating the monstrous wedgie riding atop the bare handle would cause ???

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Tried it. Didn't like it. Although I can't precisely pinpoint what it is that makes it uncomfortable for me, I suspect seated riding works better for shorter folks; I am 6' 2." That isn't Shaq height, but maybe tall enough to make me prefer resting my feet while sitting on park benches over resting on my seat while riding. I just don't feel as if I have the same level of control over the wheel when seated riding as I do with upright riding. Anyway, its pretty much a moot issue for me when the 18L arrives. By the way, I have definitely used the foam cover pad on the occasions that I ridden seated. I can't imagine appreciating the monstrous wedgie riding atop the bare handle would cause ???

It's a skill like any other on the EUC's.  If you want foot relief, that is the only option that I found that works.  It was difficult in the beginning, but then you learn the proper technique for riding seated also learn transitions standing to sitting and vice versa.  It feels scary in the beginning.  Also I still really only use it when I can ride straight or if there is enough room for my current skill level.  It is definitely not as maneuverable seated as you are standing.  But it is probably because you are not used to it.

Also it isn't your height.  I've seen people who sit on much shorter wheels not design with seats.  I have no idea how they do it.  Give it a try if you want foot relief.  It is worth it when you figure it out.  Also I saw a video on it and this guy was big and I took tips from many places to get to my limited skill riding seated.  Sometimes I'm still not comfortable.

Some folks are really skilled like @houseofjob who I've learned from.

Here are a couple of videos including one featuring @houseofjob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

It's a skill like any other on the EUC's.  If you want foot relief, that is the only option that I found that works.  It was difficult in the beginning, but then you learn the proper technique for riding seated also learn transitions standing to sitting and vice versa.  It feels scary in the beginning.  Also I still really only use it when I can ride straight or if there is enough room for my current skill level.  It is definitely not as maneuverable seated as you are standing.  But it is probably because you are not used to it.

Also it isn't your height.  I've seen people who sit on much shorter wheels not design with seats.  I have no idea how they do it.  Give it a try if you want foot relief.  It is worth it when you figure it out.  Also I saw a video on it and this guy was big and I took tips from many places to get to my limited skill riding seated.  Sometimes I'm still not comfortable.

Some folks are really skilled like @houseofjob who I've learned from.

Here are a couple of videos including one featuring @houseofjob

 

Thanks for the info. I can ride seated, although I would say that my skill with it is limited mostly because of my discomfort with it in the situations that I often find myself riding.

Learning to ride upright felt impossible in the beginning, but since I was determined, my desire to learn propelled me past the pain threshold and I eventually felt comfortable riding. I imagine the experience was similar for most of us in the beginning.

When I learned to ride seated I suppose that I did not have the same level of desire so my weak determination carried me far enough in learning to assess that: 1. Using seated riding was more novelty than necessity. 2. I ride on DC streets a lot, and I can tell you I prefer to be standing when the inevitable hazard rears not ugly head.

Maybe if I used long straight country roads very often I would feel different. While I understand that it could be helpful in resting my feet on some of my journeys, I have found too many suitable substitutes for me to feel compelled as I did with standard riding. I ride recreationally and have found that a combination of alternating pressure from between legs and changing foot position to relieve pressure along with an occasional stop if necessary has helped tremendously.  However, perhaps I should reconsider my position on seated riding. I will certainly take it under consideration. 

Edited by Lutalo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

With either heel-to-pivot feet technique for regular standing riding, and/or seated technique, it's been a really long time since I've experienced foot pain that I couldn't make go

Very true, I can ride substantial distances standing because of alternating pressure between legs and pivoting the alleviated foot to relieve pressure, including lifting it off the pedal entirely. However, perhaps I should reconsider throwing in some seated riding to enhance the experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

When I learned to ride seated I suppose that I did not have the same level of desire so my weak determination carried me far enough in learning to assess that: 1. Using seated riding was more novelty than necessity.

FWIW, I originally had no desire to learn riding seated, as I had thought the same thing.

On my first seated EUC (KS18A), I actually never even rode seated, let alone use the included seat. It took my foray into the OG Gotway Monster and buying that damn expensive seat to push myself to learn, mainly to justify that expensive seat purchase *smh.

 

16 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

2. I ride on DC streets a lot, and I can tell you I prefer to be standing when the inevitable hazard rears not ugly head.

This is true: when sensing potential danger, I am always ready to stand up (and having my arm ready to press against the seat also facilitates this).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

Very true, I can ride substantial distances standing because of alternating pressure between legs and pivoting the alleviated foot to relieve pressure, including lifting it off the pedal entirely. However, perhaps I should reconsider throwing in some seated riding to enhance the experience.

I know for me even a few seconds of seated helps.  Allows me to flex them providing needed circulation to them.  Yes, I remember in the beginning feeling it was impossible to learn EUC.  So much so that it took me 3 years from buying to finally putting in the effort to learn.  That is when I learned that I can learn anything and to recognize the impossible feeling as nothing more than a temporary feeling.  Since then I've learned countless things, like manual unicycling, motorcycling, long boarding, etc...  All with lots of persistence and work.  Now riding is like second nature.  I'm still going though the beginning stages of learning motorcycling so it is still very unnerving to ride.  But I recognize the feeling as temporary and I know all I need is more practice.  Then it will become second nature just like EUC riding.  

Same thing happen with all the skills in EUC, I remember backwards was scary as shit, now it is easy.  But I didn't get here without working at it.  Same with idling.  I will have to learn backwards on a manual unicycle, that scares me a lot, but I'm making slow but steady progress.  Just keep telling myself need more practice.

Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I know for me even a few seconds of seated helps.  Allows me to flex them providing needed circulation to them.  Yes, I remember in the beginning feeling it was impossible to learn EUC.  So much so that it took me 3 years from buying to finally putting in the effort to learn.  That is when I learned that I can learn anything and to recognize the impossible feeling as nothing more than a temporary feeling.  Since then I've learned countless things, like manual unicycling, motorcycling, long boarding, etc...  All with lots of persistence and work.  Now riding is like second nature.  I'm still going though the beginning stages of learning motorcycling so it is still very unnerving to ride.  But I recognize the feeling as temporary and I know all I need is more practice.  Then it will become second nature just like EUC riding.  

Same thing happen with all the skills in EUC, I remember backwards was scary as shit, now it is easy.  But I didn't get here without working at it.  Same with idling.  I will have to learn backwards on a manual unicycle, that scares me a lot, but I'm making slow but steady progress.  Just keep telling myself need more practice.

Good luck!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And best of luck to you with all of the very interesting things you are learning. Motorcycling is one of the most exciting things that I have ever learned. Although I do not currently own a bike; sold my Hyabusa last year. I have been riding for years. I can attest that there are very few experiences that come close to 200 mph on two wheels. Hyper Liter bikes are my favorite, but I like all bikes. My current dream bike is the Lightning LS 218. So yeah. Best of luck with the motorcycling. My next mission is flight. I hope you come to love motorcycling as much as I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

And best of luck to you with all of the very interesting things you are learning. Motorcycling is one of the most exciting things that I have ever learned. Although I do not currently own a bike; sold my Hyabusa last year. I have been riding for years. I can attest that there are very few experiences that come close to 200 mph on two wheels. Hyper Liter bikes are my favorite, but I like all bikes. My current dream bike is the Lightning LS 218. So yeah. Best of luck with the motorcycling. My next mission is flight. I hope you come to love motorcycling as much as I.

I know the lightning well, it won the pike peak last year.  amazing electric bike.  first time an electric won.  i'm on a naked bike, working up the courage to get even up to highway speeds of 80mph.  LOL, my yamaha mt07 can only go about 140mph or so i think.  not going to hit that any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

FWIW, I originally had no desire to learn riding seated, as I had thought the same thing.

On my first seated EUC (KS18A), I actually never even rode seated, let alone use the included seat. It took my foray into the OG Gotway Monster and buying that damn expensive seat to push myself to learn, mainly to justify that expensive seat purchase *smh.

 

This is true: when sensing potential danger, I am always ready to stand up (and having my arm ready to press against the seat also facilitates this).

I greatly appreciate you sharing your experiences with seated riding. I haven't tried it in so long I probably need to practice before trying it. 

Not sure that even my superb reflexes and nerves of steel could handle seated riding on DC streets, but exploring some of the paved trails running through the city might be lovely. ??.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I know the lightning well, it won the pike peak last year.  amazing electric bike.  first time an electric won.  i'm on a naked bike, working up the courage to get even up to highway speeds of 80mph.  LOL, my yamaha mt07 can only go about 140mph or so i think.  not going to hit that any time soon.

Dude, you will get there, soon 80 will feel like 40. I am definitely Looking forward to one day owning a Lightning. It would be my first electric. And how crazy is the idea that an electric is the most badass bike on the planet. I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lutalo said:

And best of luck to you with all of the very interesting things you are learning. Motorcycling is one of the most exciting things that I have ever learned. Although I do not currently own a bike; sold my Hyabusa last year. I have been riding for years. I can attest that there are very few experiences that come close to 200 mph on two wheels. Hyper Liter bikes are my favorite, but I like all bikes. My current dream bike is the Lightning LS 218. So yeah. Best of luck with the motorcycling. My next mission is flight. I hope you come to love motorcycling as much as I.

Remind me old days! I have been using a lot of bikes (Kawa, Suzuki, Yamaha, and even a BMW...) but the Hayabusa has been the best ever! Even my last Zx12R could not compete. The Gsx engine was just magic! That torque... even close to 200, just accelerating and you can still feel it!   ?

But after about 15 crashes on the road, never my fault, and a bad car crash, I had to stop motorbike... so now enjoy my Vette, and EUC will be another kind of enjoyable 'toy' that I hope safe enough.   :w00t2:

Edited by Fastmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fastmike said:

Remind me old days! I have been using a lot of bikes (Kawa, Suzuki, Yamaha, and even a BMW...) but the Hayabusa has been the best ever! Even my last Zx12R could not compete. The Gsx engine was just magic! That torque... even close to 200, just accelerating and you can still feel it!   ?

But after about 15 crashes on the road, never my fault, and a bad car crash, I had to stop motorbike... so now enjoy my Vette, and EUC will be another kind of enjoyable 'toy' that I hope safe enough.   :w00t2:

I hear you. I know that there are other hyper bikes out there now. The 1,000cc bikes produce incredible speed these days and Kawi is putting out some crazy stuff in the Ninja 1400ZR and the H2, but I am a Busa boy from the cradle to the grave; still the fastest and most beautiful production bike ever, and Popular Science's number one motorcycle marvel of all time (so far/ I think the all electric Lightning LS 218 could take that title). I sold my baby last year, and didn't buy another because I am waiting patiently for the third gen Busa to return to the throne and end the terrible reign of the Kawi Ninja 14ZR, and the H2. If Suzi doesn't do a third gen I will take it as omen that it is time to end my relationship with combustibles and point my sights toward the Lightning LS 218. ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

Also, update from my last 2 rides:

  • 18l is more stable at higher speeds than v10f - I hit 40kph all the time on the 18l riding in the same places I would usually start topping out at 35kph on the v10f (just because of how comfortable I was at those speeds on the v10f).   On the 18l, you don't notice how fast you're going.   On the v10f I feel like I had to really try (hard forward lean) to hit 40kph and maintain that speed on flats.
  • I think the v10f has more torque at low speed than the 18l
  • The auto-shutoff handle on the 18l sucks, never works when you want it too... on the plus side though, it doesn't accidentally trigger either (firmware 1.0.7).   I'll re-calibrate it again, maybe I lifted it too fast making it very insensitive.

 

Got an 18L en route to the household. Should arrive in approximately a couple of weeks. I have heard that the wheel shut off feature can be turned off in the app. Since I rarely actually lift my wheels, I feel that I am on the page where I don't want to be bothered with finicky sensors. I think that KS will address it, but until then I plan to just turn it off (if I actually can).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Thank goodness you’re ok. I’m 200lbs too, and the fear of what happened to you makes me hop even for small obstacles. For a good reason it seems.

 

Very nice video. Keep the posts coming ? so I can learn not to end up in another accident, or atleast be prepared if it should happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

Also, update from my last 2 rides:

  • 18l is more stable at higher speeds than v10f - I hit 40kph all the time on the 18l riding in the same places I would usually start topping out at 35kph on the v10f (just because of how comfortable I was at those speeds on the v10f).   On the 18l, you don't notice how fast you're going.   On the v10f I feel like I had to really try (hard forward lean) to hit 40kph and maintain that speed on flats.
  • I think the v10f has more torque at low speed than the 18l
  • The auto-shutoff handle on the 18l sucks, never works when you want it too... on the plus side though, it doesn't accidentally trigger either (firmware 1.0.7).   I'll re-calibrate it again, maybe I lifted it too fast making it very insensitive.

 

It seems to me that some KS18L riders complains that speedo is not really accurate so please verify that when KS app says you are hitting 40kph, you are really at 40 and not 35-36.  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good point.  I'll find a GPS app.  I heard the same for inmotion's app too though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 12:19 AM, houseofjob said:

main reason: speed throttling: V10F currently speed throttles after ~70% battery. You only achieve 25mph at the upper 70/80-to-100% battery, then it dips for the majority in the 22mph range. The KS18L should be a solid 50kph / 31mph for the majority of the battery. InMotion really should just state the V10F speed max as 22mph+. This could possibly be fixed with a firmware, but unlikely as we never saw the V5F+ FW bump from 15 to 16-17mph proposed early.

I found 24.17mph with 46% power on my V10F using the original firmware 1.07. It was still at 22 mph at 26% when I finished.

So I am not sure what happened. I wrote about it in my review in the Inmotion section. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 12:18 PM, Fastmike said:

But after about 15 crashes on the road, never my fault,

that would make me think. I had a much fewer crashes and it was always my fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 4:06 AM, that0n3guy said:

Anyone else have this problem? 

Yes. Bending the knees quickly(!) and profoundly, thereby lowering your center of gravity by at least 10-15cm without leaning the upper body further forward momentarily relieves the wheel and let it catch up under you. This should solve the problem.

Edited by Mono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...