V10F vs KS18L?

kindnation

44 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

"First batch of V10F seems to have some issues," from which the bearing going bad for some users. InMotion said they took action but is it true since the V8 already had the exact same problem???

You keep saying this about the V8 but I have never seen a report on this forum of a bad axle and @Jason McNeil has provided some great reports of wheel failures he had seen across the brands and models over time. I think you mentioned that lots of French riders suffered it. I can only conclude there was at some point a bad batch that went to France and it is an isolated incident rather than a design issue. Does anyone else know of this problem? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

You keep saying this about the V8 but I have never seen a report on this forum of a bad axle and @Jason McNeil has provided some great reports of wheel failures he had seen across the brands and models over time. I think you mentioned that lots of French riders suffered it. I can only conclude there was at some point a bad batch that went to France and it is an isolated incident rather than a design issue. Does anyone else know of this problem? 

Perhaps it was batch with motors from the same supplier that provided faulty motors for first batch of V10F? Just speculating.

I have ridden my V8 every day for a year in any weather, jumping off curbs and never had any issue. My weight was around 100 kg (lost 15kg since, yaaay). Mileage roughly 2600km.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

You might be right since I don ' t know much about other countries. But about 5 people just on a small forum had the same issue with their V8 (I posted links to their videos on this forum earlier). So I am glad if that was limited to France, but seing the same on the V10 made be a little suspicious, that is all I am saying.

That said, I still have my V10F on order   ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Juick said:

My weight was around 100 kg (lost 15kg since, yaaay).

Well done!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Edddeus said:

Well done!

I were just about to write the same to you @Juick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

You cannot beat a handle that is right in the center of the unit

The v10f grip point (where it matters) is right in the middle of the unit... unlike msupers for example.    I think the handle is just fine.   They said we would get replacement handles/spacer/something that would fix handle wobbles.  

17 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Here’s my take on this topic after 900 km on the V10F. 

I disagree on the trolley handle. I actually really like the Inmotion style. I don’t see it as an afterthought. It’s very comfortable, easy to rest on walls, quick to open and close and also very robust. It’s the last thing to break. And if it does, it’s very easy to change and spare parts are readily available online. KingSong trolleys are excellent also. I would like them but right now don’t feel like wanting to switch to that design. 

I cannot compare to 18L but some smaller things that in my mind are better on the V10F are the pedals (larger and higher), light, speakers (probably) and side lights. And of course the app as a big bonus. I don’t have problem with slipping on the rubber pedals but your shoes might be different. 

I have been riding as fast as I want to and don’t really reach the top speed often. I don’t think the speeds after 40 km/h are very comfortable anyway for long periods. So personally top speed after 40 is not important to me. Matter of preference. 

Acceleration from 0 is not great on the V10, I don’t know how it is with 18L. I think Inmotion should tune this part as an update. However, I also think acceleration from 0 is made too big a topic unless you want a trick wheel. It’s nice to have but there’s also acceleration after curves. For example the V10F goes from calm 30 km/h to top speed in an instant if I want to. The strongest acceleration is at another place and that becomes handy when coming out of a tight curve and when carving. 

Speaking of carving, the Inmotion behaves extremely well on curves. Takes some learning at first but now I can do 90 degree curves at a very high speed and almost instantly after the curve back to high speed. They really have done some good work on the behavior. Plus it can be adjusted. (Cannot compare this to 18L, probably very good also). 

Both wheels are large and heavy. Inmotion probably a bit higher and narrower, KingSong fatter and shorter. Tire size is the biggest difference but probably not very important. Both are 2.5 inch wide, so they behave as 17 and 19 inch wheels. At least the Inmotion is very comfortable and stable. It can take bumps and holes easily as it can be inflated with less pressure. The V10F with smaller wheel might be a bit more agile and nimble, the 18 a bit more stable at really high speeds. 

I regard the V10F to be comparable to a high end mountain bike. Great for trails and off road, not beating a street bike in acceleration and speed on pavement. 

Inmotion build quality might be better (especially after the first batch) but the price is higher also. Both are great choices! Both will get you smiling a lot when riding! You really cannot separate these based on spec sheets only. There are other characteristics that you should consider also. I love to ride mostly on trails where I cannot even go very fast so I’m very happy with my wheel. I usually ride 2,5 hours a day. If you do long rides on good roads at high speed, buy the 18L. If you drive among pedestrians and in the city for short runs or practice tricks, buy a second smaller wheel, something 14”. 

I agree with this.   Most of the "issues" with the v10f are really small things.   It really does ride great and looks/feels amazing.   Great build quality.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

The v10f grip point (where it matters) is right in the middle of the unit... unlike msupers for example.    I think the handle is just fine.   They said we would get replacement handles/spacer/something that would fix handle wobbles.  

I agree with this.   Most of the "issues" with the v10f are really small things.   It really does ride great and looks/feels amazing.   Great build quality.  

when the handle is locked in the upright position for use, it is in this weird up diagonal position.  it isn't comfortable.  you are right, when it is like this it is in the middle, but it isn't comfortable to hold.  for it to be comfortable, it needs to be horizontal.  you don't exactly have good leverage to turn it.  

I finally decided and ordered KS18L from speedyfeet.co.uk . After owning Inmotion V5F and later V8 (and being very satisfied with both) I'm surprised at my own decision. Always thought my next wheel will be Inmotion again and it would be, If the shipment weren't delayed and Inmotion Czech got their batch on time, I wouldn't have time to change my mind. Now the wait continues, just for different wheel. Also I need some serious protection gear, time to go shopping. Thanks everyone for your input.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

Hmmm I might have a bad batch of Inmotion V8 then...I weigh about 72-73ish kg  and have not lost any weight...I blame the wheel ? now I lost a notch or 2 on the belt...But still same weight. 

And @Bobwheel already commented that it was a bad batch on some V10 (f) from one subsupplyer. Action has been taken to address the issue. It is what happens in any business.  Btw Bob thanks for recommending the V8 to me. Now 260ish Km later this is how it look riding go work ??? today new record 5ish min...

On my way home I saw we got new asphalt on a bad part of the down/uphill section next the fench. So potential I might be able to go a little faster in the next few days.

Enjoy!

On 6/14/2018 at 5:34 AM, that0n3guy said:

That's what I was thinking.  Hear that @Bobwheel?   Since both of those are potentially just firmware changes, seems do-able. 

After riding my v10f and feeling limited at around 22mph, I don't want to regret the v10f purchase.

Sorry but I guess it's not very possible for InMotion to change the max speed officially, since the safety is the top priority for us to consider, and we may be able to do it with a more powerful motor and a upgraded control board. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bobwheel said:

Sorry but I guess it's not very possible for InMotion to change the max speed officially, since the safety is the top priority for us to consider, and we may be able to do it with a more powerful motor and a upgraded control board. 

Thanks Bob! Can we at least expect a new firmware to make the wheel a little bit more reactive at start since people complains about acceleration from 0?

UPDATE: You just replied... thanks!!!

Edited by Fastmike
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

@eddiemoy  How did you think the the acceleration/breaking felt on the v10f vs ks18l?   I wonder how the ks18l would do on grass vs the v10f, you probably didn't test it on the group meetup.

I don’t normally ride on grass.  I don’t like the slippery feeling.  But I did a chase video of Chris on the 18L, I was chasing on the V10F.   I felt the 18L was more familiar and more agile.  Also seem to have less lag from start.  Braking was good too, but hard to say without doing test.  

• Upvote 2

Hi, 

I also am on the fence. I may cancel the V10 (not the F) and order the KS18L. Main reason is the video I saw about the V10 overheating and the guy said he never had a problem with his KS16 on the same hill. So, the 18L sould be even better. Also I never liked the V5 handle. 

I might stretch a bit my budget (+200€) and get the KS. I never use the app and I just need the power to climb hills. Also the horrible and annoying noise at top speed in the V10 is completely unnecessary, since the tilt back can force the driver to brake. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Acácio Nuno Bernardo said:

Hi, 

I also am on the fence. I may cancel the V10 (not the F) and order the KS18L. Main reason is the video I saw about the V10 overheating and the guy said he never had a problem with his KS16 on the same hill. So, the 18L sould be even better. Also I never liked the V5 handle. 

I might stretch a bit my budget (+200€) and get the KS. I never use the app and I just need the power to climb hills. Also the horrible and annoying noise at top speed in the V10 is completely unnecessary, since the tilt back can force the driver to brake. 

Understand the feeling... I might cancel as well but still hesitating because of the price difference. But for sure 2 more people reporting the bearing problem in the last 12 hours, added to overheating when max speed is really lower to KS makes no sense...

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I have only tried V10F of the two, but from what I've read and seen, the 18L seems to be much more than $200 difference of a wheel to the V10F.

It really depends on where you are buying it from... in US, both wheels are about the same price. In France, the KS is 400 euros more expensive than the V10F. If you are in Europe and buy from electricunicycles.eu, the KS is about 180euros more expensive, but I don't know about the support from them in case of problem...