No experience. I'm looking at the Monster 100v, MSuper X, V10F, KS18L

joku

I'd like something that can go 30+ miles and has a seat, cruising speed 25+mph and has the ability to handle abuse and rough terrain. I currently ride a Onewheel, but I see what these EUs can do and I'd love to get into it. Right now, I think the Monster 100v fits my needs the best, but it's heavy at 50+ lbs and I'd like to be able to do quick errands to the grocery store with it. Any suggestions and information is appreciated.

42 minutes ago, joku said:

I'd like something that can go 30+ miles and has a seat, cruising speed 25+mph and has the ability to handle abuse and rough terrain. I currently ride a Onewheel, but I see what these EUs can do and I'd love to get into it. Right now, I think the Monster 100v fits my needs the best, but it's heavy at 50+ lbs and I'd like to be able to do quick errands to the grocery store with it. Any suggestions and information is appreciated.

Nothing currently meets all of your needs (nothing in this world does it all).

The Monster is certainly a tough wheel, but expect the upper parts of the shell to deteriorate under 'abuse'. You'll find many owners (including this one) end up installing ugly thru bolts to hold it together. But the wheel itself is a beast.

Certainly doable, but I would never take mine for quick errands. No trolley handle and it's just plain unwieldy in confined spaces. You may want to consider two wheels; the Monster for your trail riding (I gather that's what you're looking at doing) and a small 'city' wheel for errands and such. I use my Mten3 for many errands and/or my KS14S and/or MCM5. All very fun and practical errand wheels.

The only other wheel that could probably satisfy your needs is the MSuper V3 or MSuper X. Kind of depends on how tall you are. I know someone who sits on his ACM all the time, but he's not a tall guy.

All wheels can actually handle abuse. You'd be amazed to see the stuff I've personally seen mine and other wheels go through, yet they keep on ticking. The shell might get scratch and banged up, but the fundamentals keep working 

Please elaborate on what "abuse and rough terrain" means. Are hills involved?

msuper X 1600Wh seems to be the best fit. Should be easy to learn on and isn't too heavy. Good range, good speed. Technically has a seat and a trolley (neither are too good, but they work).

But your ideas are a bit too much for today's wheels, very fast + comfortable + seat + range + not too heavy/unwieldy is a lot. So the small wheel + Monster thing might also work (get the small wheel first and learn on that: KS14D/S, MCM5, maybe mten3. I don't think learning on a Monster is a good idea.).

Please be aware a wheel isn't just something you quickly buy and then use, you need to read a little bit about the quirks, dangers; don't blindly trust any official lies specs, etc.

The 100V is heavy and would be awkward to manage while doing your groceries. It certainly isn't a wheel for beginners either. With the Monster,  If you think you know what you are doing and you get it wrong, you can ruin everything, big time.

I would suggest an M Super V3 1300wh.

Learn to crawl before you can walk. 

you can still consider the KS18S, that has the seat, no trolley handle, but you can see if it works for you by wheeling it around using your hand on the seat.  it does 50kmph unlocked after 200km of riding.  little over 40lbs.  can cruise comfortably at 25mph or 40kmph.  If you want you can put handle on it.  currently if you buy from ewheels (http://bit.ly/2Iz2Yd3) , i think jason gives you the handle so you can do the diy handle.  I have a video for the diy handle install.  It works great.

It also comes in two battery configs, 840wh is what i have, but you can get 840wh to see if it fits your needs, about 30miles of range and in the future if you need it, you can add another 840wh battery.  shell is very well made, can take abuse. The only other one on your list that has a seat is the MusperX.  But the trolley on that is in the rear and it is not a good trolley handle.

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

you can still consider the KS18S, that has the seat, no trolley handle, but you can see if it works for you by wheeling it around using your hand on the seat.  it does 50kmph unlocked after 200km of riding.  little over 40lbs.  can cruise comfortably at 25mph or 40kmph.  If you want you can put handle on it.  currently if you buy from ewheels (http://bit.ly/2Iz2Yd3) , i think jason gives you the handle so you can do the diy handle.  I have a video for the diy handle install.  It works great.

It also comes in two battery configs, 840wh is what i have, but you can get 840wh to see if it fits your needs, about 30miles of range and in the future if you need it, you can add another 840wh battery.  shell is very well made, can take abuse. The only other one on your list that has a seat is the MusperX.  But the trolley on that is in the rear and it is not a good trolley handle.

I'm curious, would you feel safe going 50kmph on the KS18S? For me I'd only dare goes those kind of speeds on the Monster. Anything smaller is too iffy for me.

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm curious, would you feel safe going 50kmph on the KS18S? For me I'd only dare goes those kind of speeds on the Monster. Anything smaller is too iffy for me.

Yes, I would.  @houseofjob has his unlocked and seems to be fine hitting 31mph on the 18S.  Marty, can you do a measurement on the monster on how big the overall wheel size is including the tire?  if you can do that, give me the circumference.  I measured the 18S and it is a 19" wheel.  explains why it is so stable.

2 hours ago, Edddeus said:

The 100V is heavy and would be awkward to manage while doing your groceries. It certainly isn't a wheel for beginners either. With the Monster,  If you think you know what you are doing and you get it wrong, you can ruin everything, big time.

I would suggest an M Super V3 1300wh.

Learn to crawl before you can walk. 

Im more of a get the best your can find, learn to crawl, walk and run on that same wheel. Saves time,  money and worries (as every new tech gadget had a risk of blowing up on your face).

Though not really..i learnt on a ninebot mini plus...i just hope that the knowledge can transfer on a EUC. The learning curve on the mini was faaast, so i hope i will ride my tesla day one...or in some hours..looks easy enough (caughky now,  ask me in two weeks as it has arrived lol)

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, I would.  @houseofjob has his unlocked and seems to be fine hitting 31mph on the 18S.  Marty, can you do a measurement on the monster on how big the overall wheel size is including the tire?  if you can do that, give me the circumference.  I measured the 18S and it is a 19" wheel.  explains why it is so stable.

I just measured the tire diameter of my MSuper and Monster

• MSuper V3: 18-3/4"
  • Monster: 22-3/4"

59 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I measured the 18S and it is a 19" wheel.

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

MSuper V3: 18-3/4"

Does this mean that the new 19" Msuper X doesn't really have a larger wheel?   :blink1:

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Does this mean that the new 19" Msuper X doesn't really have a larger wheel?   :blink1:

Since both Gotway wheels are 3/4" bigger than the stated size, I'm guessing that the MSuperX will be 19-3/4". I'll try and remember to measure tomorrow when I see it.

2 hours ago, Tommy Le said:

Can more people confirm that the ks18s wheel is really 19inch wheel? ?

I roughly measure just now my stock 18" Kenda KS18 tire to actually be 18.5", but potatoe, potáto ?

Remember, a tire can expand with more air pressure, and, while in motion or with more rider weight, compress too. This is why the more diversified classes of motorcycle, car tires and up are measured by [Width (mm)] / [Sidewall-percentage-in-relation-to-width (mm)] - [Rim Size (in)] , if I'm mistaken. As long as there is more shell clearance and rim edge real estate, there is more room for bigger diameter/width (see KS16 2.5" mod). 

Also, most knobby tires in the same "tire-by-diameter" sizing spec will probably be a bit bigger in diameter.

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, I would.  @houseofjob has his unlocked and seems to be fine hitting 31mph on the 18S.

I don't like to hit 30mph+ on the regular, but sometimes NYC road rage is real! :w00t2:

The Msuper X tire has a stamping: ” 18” x 3.0” ”. (Don’t remember which currently active thread had the photo.) A wider tire is also taller, so GW (also) has just turned misunderstandings and messy standards into a marketing ploy. Creating even more misconceptions. It’s most likely just a regular Msuper sized motor and rim.

I’ve been looking hard and close on the 18L teardown photos thinking what I’d have to do to fit a 3.0” tire in there. My current list includes a 1/2” thick spacer between the inner shell halves, a 1/2” wider 3D printed handle (and probably the button mechanism), 1/4” spacers between the pedal arms and the shell, and new attachment points for the control board. Probably some spacers and insulation for the control board cooling plate as well.

Why all this pondering, you may ask? I recently learned rather abrubtly that 2.5” is not enough to keep me afloat on soft and wet gravel. Protection saved me, but I’m still not planning on doing that again.

Why not Msuper X then, you may wonder? Well, I’ve found the KingSong handle to be irreplaceable for a tall person with a bad back in getting the wheel into a car or service table. And... It’s a Gotway.

For someone who's completely without unicycle experience, most people here are not recommending beginner wheels. I also think it's best to start out small and work up. That initial learning period comes with quite a few scrapes. Not something I'd want to subject a big wheel to. I also wouldn't really say any of the seat-sized wheels are suitable for quick errands, but I don't have that experience. I mean, I did take my V8 on a full shop once when on holiday, a bigger wheel like an 18S wouldn't have fit in the shopping trolley (although I've been to Costco, I know you Americans have huge 'carts'.)

On 6/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, Marty Backe said:

Nothing currently meets all of your needs (nothing in this world does it all).

The Monster is certainly a tough wheel, but expect the upper parts of the shell to deteriorate under 'abuse'. You'll find many owners (including this one) end up installing ugly thru bolts to hold it together. But the wheel itself is a beast.

Certainly doable, but I would never take mine for quick errands. No trolley handle and it's just plain unwieldy in confined spaces. You may want to consider two wheels; the Monster for your trail riding (I gather that's what you're looking at doing) and a small 'city' wheel for errands and such. I use my Mten3 for many errands and/or my KS14S and/or MCM5. All very fun and practical errand wheels.

The only other wheel that could probably satisfy your needs is the MSuper V3 or MSuper X. Kind of depends on how tall you are. I know someone who sits on his ACM all the time, but he's not a tall guy.

All wheels can actually handle abuse. You'd be amazed to see the stuff I've personally seen mine and other wheels go through, yet they keep on ticking. The shell might get scratch and banged up, but the fundamentals keep working 

Please elaborate on what "abuse and rough terrain" means. Are hills involved?

I was amazed that my 16 yr old daughter can sit and ride my ACM, not me though as I'm 6' 5" hah. 

15 hours ago, Kael said:

I also wouldn't really say any of the seat-sized wheels are suitable for quick errands, but I don't have that experience. 

I do grocery shopping with my KS18S in cramped NYC Trader Joe's all the time. 

It's really taller than it is bigger (which is one of the reasons why it's one of my favs), and while waiting in line, I have a seat reserved for me!

8 hours ago, Adumb said:

I was amazed that my 16 yr old daughter can sit and ride my ACM, not me though as I'm 6' 5" hah. 

No, no, you can't say this and not provide a cute photo!!

After seeing a few reviews of the z10, it appears to be unimpressive and people seemed to lean towards the ks18l more. So I've narrowed my choices to either a msuper x or ks18l. I'm leaning towards the ks18l for reliability and easier portability. I really want the msx for the speed, off road, greater range and seat capabilities. How useful is the seat? I love the way it looks when you can just sit and cruise.

1 hour ago, joku said:

After seeing a few reviews of the z10, it appears to be unimpressive and people seemed to lean towards the ks18l more. So I've narrowed my choices to either a msuper x or ks18l. I'm leaning towards the ks18l for reliability and easier portability. I really want the msx for the speed, off road, greater range and seat capabilities. How useful is the seat? I love the way it looks when you can just sit and cruise.

Haven't you seen some of the @houseofjob, @Citi Wheel, @Tishawn Fahie, and @eddiemoy videos? The Z10 seems impressive to me. Can't wait to get it :w00t2:

Of course if sitting is a must, the MSuper X should be your wheel. @Jason McNeil is providing the seat if you buy from EWheels, and it looks to be a cool seat. The new MSuper X is taller than the MSuper V3 so sitting should be a more viable option for us taller guys :thumbup:

Archived