Gotway acm16 84v version - all solid white or red lights

so I've had this for about half a year+ now, got >800km on odometer.

sometimes after riding for a while and powering off, the back battery indicator lights just turn solid white and power doesn't turn on.

after waiting for a while, it does turn on, but if powered down again, the bar is red this time.

what is this a signal of?

internal temperature is 42C.

• Like 1

Update on this, there's apparently a 3rd failure mode as well, when NOTHING lights up when pressing power button.

It seems to go like:

Ride -> power off -> try power on (all white) -> wait -> try power on (all white, eventually turns on) -> ride or just power off -> try power on (all red) -> power off -> try power on (just blank, no leds, no beeps) -> wait a while, will eventually turn on.

Has anyone seen something like this happening? I'll be pinging gotway people directly on monday but curious if someone have seen this before.

This is either a power button issue, a LED issue (but also a power button issue because if it does not work, nothing to do with LEDs), or a (very rare) failure of the non-driving parts of the board.

My bet is on board failure (maybe the connectors on the board for the lights, button etc), and I'd get a new board just to feel safe riding the wheel. You don't want to have a critical board failure (cut-out faceplant). I don't think the LED colors mean anything in this case, it's likely just a random result of a board malfunction.

My bet is the GW people will also tell you to get a new board. Really can't hurt in this case. Strange or changing behavior on a wheel is always a cause for alarm, and I wouldn't risk anything there.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I had this happen once on my ACM2 (the ACM that I converted to an ACM2 by installing new motor and control board).

In my case, I turned the wheel off briefly so that I could lift it over a gate. When I tried to turn it on, the back LEDs were all red. Tried multiple times. After a couple of minutes, the wheel turned on fine.

I'm happy (not for you) to hear that someone else has seen this strange behavior. It's not strange enough to make me replace the board, but I'll have to keep an eye on the situation to see if it gets worse. I asked someone at Gotway about it but I got a nonsensical response.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This is either a power button issue, a LED issue (but also a power button issue because if it does not work, nothing to do with LEDs), or a (very rare) failure of the non-driving parts of the board.

My bet is on board failure (maybe the connectors on the board for the lights, button etc), and I'd get a new board just to feel safe riding the wheel. You don't want to have a critical board failure (cut-out faceplant). I don't think the LED colors mean anything in this case, it's likely just a random result of a board malfunction.

My bet is the GW people will also tell you to get a new board. Really can't hurt in this case. Strange or changing behavior on a wheel is always a cause for alarm, and I wouldn't risk anything there.

It can't hurt except for the cost and time to do so :(

• Like 1

The guy I asked at Gotway was Lukas, on Facebook. His standard response seems to be, "open the wheel and take a picture of the control board". :confused1:

Obviously I will be very interested in hearing any information that you may find. Let them know that I've seen this on my ACM2 also.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

Update according to "donald1" from gotway

it is becz over temperature
yes, over 40 will happen

I'm guessing the red/white colors are different "too high temperature" limits and the board starts up once it drops below 40.

Considering how weather during the summer can easily reach 30C+ ambient here, that's going to be a bit of a bummer...

China thinks I should "replace the board" to solve the "problem" but isn't 40C kinda normal temperature for something that switches kW of power?

• Like 1

40°C is outright cold for a Gotway board. The overheat alarm is at 79°C and can be easily reached without problems. I think Marty does stops when the temperature nears 70, just to be sure. Regular riding, my ACM is alwys between 45°C and 50°C.

Seems like GW is bullshitting you (intentional or not).

Did you have the wheel in direct sunlight and then it refused to switch on? To me, it still looks like they board simply has a low-level defect.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

40°C is outright cold for a Gotway board.

That's what I thought. Today was cold-ish and the wheel started at 29C internally as soon as I powered it on.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Did you have the wheel in direct sunlight and then it refused to switch on?

That's what I told to chinaguy, when its 30+C ambient and I leave this thing out in the sun, its gonna reach 40C just by laying on the ground, is that going to make it not turn on?! And didn't get a reply after that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dongie said:

Update according to "donald1" from gotway

I'm guessing the red/white colors are different "too high temperature" limits and the board starts up once it drops below 40.

Considering how weather during the summer can easily reach 30C+ ambient here, that's going to be a bit of a bummer...

China thinks I should "replace the board" to solve the "problem" but isn't 40C kinda normal temperature for something that switches kW of power?

Very interesting. If this is true, and I turn off my wheel briefly when riding in the mountains, I'll have to wait a looooong time before I can turn the wheel on. Crazy if true because a bunch of people will start thinking that their wheel is broken.

I'm going to test this on my blue ACM2 - ride a little to get the temp above 40 and then turn it off and then back on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A bit late to this (I've dealt with the white thing through out the summer mostly by not turning the wheel off while on short stops/etc).

Anyway, I've finally talked to china gotway and got an answer about something overheating and some boards being made with fake capacitors and needing to solder an electrolytic cap on top of the pads for a 0805 ceramic cap that's (if I remember correctly) an input cap to the high voltage dc/dc converter using XC-something IC (forgot all this, been months). They sent me a replacement board (with proper Infineon FETs this time, not china clones). I've been too busy / traveling to replace the board, finally got to it yesterday. Also some weeks after this thread, the 5 RGB led thing also died and was showing mostly garbage colors, so I had to get that as a replacement as well. China also threw in a 5V fan which is supposedly installed at newer ACm16s which turns on when board temperature reaches above 40C.

After replacing mainboard, led strip, sticking the fan under the mainboard using some 3M tape, and powering it up, I was surprised that there was almost no high-pitch whine coming from the motor anymore. Probably increased PWM switching frequency? Anyway, so far so good, put about 30km on new board (which I was able to request with a pre-set mileage already burned in, by the way), the wheel feels nice and responsive and I have yet to see it cross over 39C (but it is autumn here in Japan and ambient temps are around 18-25C as opposed to 30+C during summer).

Will get back to this later if I notice anything weird.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1