Jump to content
denzil

Ninebot One S2 Vibration on 15km/h+ speed

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, after been training to ride for a while, I finally managed to find time to go out in the wild. Rode on normal tarmac road, and noticed when the wheel reaches 15km/h+ speed, it started to make micro turns left and right, continuously, from what it feels like 0.3s for every turn (like micro curves), and it does maybe no more then 3-4", still I can feel it and it makes me uneasy. I can mange it, but its not a comfortable ride for sure. First I blamed the surface, but then I went to a very nice and flat tarmac, and vibration continued.

the picture attached showing its trajectory.

 

 

I tried re-calibration to no avail. 

 

It is normal, or I need to get it fixed?

 

Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.52.48.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by nte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 7:53 AM, denzil said:

Hey guys, after been training to ride for a while, I finally managed to find time to go out in the wild. Rode on normal tarmac road, and noticed when the wheel reaches 15km/h+ speed, it started to make micro turns left and right, continuously, from what it feels like 0.3s for every turn (like micro curves), and it does maybe no more then 3-4", still I can feel it and it makes me uneasy. I can mange it, but its not a comfortable ride for sure. First I blamed the surface, but then I went to a very nice and flat tarmac, and vibration continued.

the picture attached showing its trajectory.

 

 

I tried re-calibration to no avail. 

 

It is normal, or I need to get it fixed?

 

Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 12.52.48.png

if it’s a wobble, try deflating ur tire, squeeze the tire away from the rim, brush out any dirt and use a soapy solution to lubricate the bead and re-inflate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of myself as a beginner, for sure, so I will try the tricks with feet position, it was bothering me before, and will try slow spin vibration. I hope its not the wheel, it was so hard to access the tyre valve I would hate to do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, denzil said:

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of myself as a beginner, for sure, so I will try the tricks with feet position, it was bothering me before, and will try slow spin vibration. I hope its not the wheel, it was so hard to access the tyre valve I would hate to do it again.

I actually meant that let it accelerate very slowly, but keep up the slow acceleration until the wheel reaches max speed. I edited my original reply to be more clear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried different feet positions, and now I'm quite confident its not that. I'm not a professional but it feels like its not that.

When I accelerate it slowly to max, with wheel between my hands, I can feel the vibration, but how do I know its not strong, it manageable to hold, for sure, but I feel it.

I also tried to deflate the tyre and inflate it again to 45-50 PSI and that improved it a bit, but I can still feel the vibration. I don't fancy the weight balance at all, but I was wondering if this might be a warranty case?

I need to do a long ride in order to understand if re-inflating helped, if not I'll try resit it.

Thanks for help!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Update:

I've disabled the handle stop function, and tried to pull it with handle. I definitely don't see the same vibration as on balancing video, its pretty steady. But I can't manage to make it speed up slow. As soon as it airborne it accelerate very fast to the max speed.

Edited by denzil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did u, deflate the tire enough where u can squeeze it on the sidewalls and pull the bead off the rim, take a paint brush and dust off sand between the tire and the rim, take the same paint brush and liberally apply dishwashing liquid in water to the tire, both sides all the way around, and then finally re-inflate to like 5psi over max.

that’s what i did, and it worked. i needed the soapy solution for it to seat properly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

did u, deflate the tire enough where u can squeeze it on the sidewalls and pull the bead off the rim, take a paint brush and dust off sand between the tire and the rim, take the same paint brush and liberally apply dishwashing liquid in water to the tire, both sides all the way around, and then finally re-inflate to like 5psi over max.

that’s what i did, and it worked. i needed the soapy solution for it to seat properly.

I did fully deflate it. I blew the dust off, but next time I'll do it with brush and more as advised. What is the max PSI, I read that recommended is 40-50. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by nte
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you put the wheel on blocks and see if the tire is wobbling like this one?  This is what @novazeus had with his tire.  These are his videos.  

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, denzil said:

I can feel the vibration, but how do I know its not strong,

If you show us a video on the vibration, we might be able to estimate wether it's strong enough to be an issue. A bad vibration should show well in camera when the wheel slows down from the max speed.

After deflating a tire I now check how the tire seats after every few pumps. My current tire tends not to center properly without me doing so.

3 hours ago, denzil said:

I was wondering if this might be a warranty case?

I'm afraid not. I got into the subject because my first wheel had a disturbing wobble, but the seller completely disregarded the issue. I'm sure it's also easier for you to re-seat the tire a few times than to ship the wheel back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Can you put the wheel on blocks and see if the tire is wobbling like this one?  This is what @novazeus had with his tire.  These are his videos.  

 

 

after doing the 2x4 thing and looking at my phone camera menu, i wished i used slow motion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Denzil,

I have excatly the same problem and was unable to find a solution. I already changed the whole tyre, no change. Tried to deflate and inflate, no change. When I lift the wheel up, I can feel a realy, realy light vibration, but not close at all to the video.

After haven driven only about 200km on the wheel, I think it's still the "beginner leg" problem. How far have you traveld? Do you feel any diffrence to the vibration at the beginning or that end (when you are more tired) of a tour? Besides, I've heard the S2 ist not an easy wheel for a beginner, more the like the opposit ?

Greetings from Germany,

Fabian

Edited by Obsidian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I have excatly the same problem and was unable to find a solution. I already changed the whole tyre, no change. Tried to deflate and inflate, no change. When I lift the wheel up, I can feel a realy, realy light vibration, but not close at all to the video.

After haven driven only about 200km on the wheel, I think it's still the "beginner leg" problem. How far have you traveld? Do you feel any diffrence to the vibration at the beginning or that end (when you are more tired) of a tour? Besides, I've heard the S2 ist not an easy wheel for a beginner, more the like the opposit ?

 

I have done little, comparing to your milage, only 34km. I'll try some tricks mentioned in the posts above first. Next time I'm on the road I'll film and post it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I'm afraid not. I got into the subject because my first wheel had a disturbing wobble, but the seller completely disregarded the issue. I'm sure it's also easier for you to re-seat the tire a few times than to ship the wheel back.

I find segway/ninebot support awful. I had issue with misaligned tyre valve from new, and called UK office many times with no help at all. I almost arranged return  (considering this new issue I probably should have) but managed to find this forum with was much more helpful then official channels. 

I fear if something happens with devices it will be very hard to return/fix under warranty, and I have 3 :(  I don't fancy repairing on my own.

Edited by denzil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

Here is my "wooble" test result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXdanCkuAA&feature=youtu.be

 

Looks much worse than I thought....

That much sideways movement is notable enough, it well might cause wobbles, especially while braking. I would empty the tire, and check and manually fix any movement you see after every few pumps of air.

Still, I’m pretty sure that is way too small for the seller to be seen as a warranty case.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That much sideways movement is notable enough, it well might cause wobbles, especially while braking. I would empty the tire, and check and manually fix any movement you see after every few pumps of air.

Ok, will try so and keep you updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 10:01 PM, novazeus said:

did u, deflate the tire enough where u can squeeze it on the sidewalls and pull the bead off the rim, take a paint brush and dust off sand between the tire and the rim, take the same paint brush and liberally apply dishwashing liquid in water to the tire, both sides all the way around, and then finally re-inflate to like 5psi over max.

that’s what i did, and it worked. i needed the soapy solution for it to seat properly.

Finally managed deflate, clear, inflate as per above and went on a ride. It is, probably, just me as a beginner, after all, look at the videos and tell me what do you think?

IMG_1694.gif

Edited by denzil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, denzil said:

Finally managed deflate, clear, inflate as per above and went on a ride. It is, probably, just me as a beginner, after all, look at the videos and tell me what do you think?

IMG_1694.gif

ya, i think that is u. try to relax and not grip the wheel tight. unless i’m making tight turns, the only thing touching the wheel is the bottom of my feet.

funny thing about rider induced wobbles which i never had, yesterday i’m riding my V10F which is a very stable wheel, and normally my arms are to my side just like they’d be if i was standing normally, and a bug bit me on the back of my right arm, so naturally i contort to give it a scratch, and the wheel wobbled momentarily.

so i deduce from that and from other reports of new riders having wobbles, that sudden weight shifts cause wobbles because the wheel’s gyroscopic effect while at speed is trying to compensate.

i also noticed that in one of @Duf‘s videos of him testing the 9bot z10. he noticed a wobble but at the same time or moments before he did a jerky motion with his arms.

but what u have isn’t a wobble, looks more like overcontrol. i’m sure there’s alot more experienced riders than myself that could comment.

 

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, denzil said:

Finally managed deflate, clear, inflate as per above and went on a ride. It is, probably, just me as a beginner, after all, look at the videos and tell me what do you think?

31 minutes ago, novazeus said:

but what u have isn’t a wobble, looks more like overcontrol. i’m sure there’s alot more experienced riders than myself that could comment.

 

If i try to have my feet close at the wheel it also starts to "wobble" sometimes - just relax and let the wheel drive!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for replies. Funny thing that I though I didn't ride correctly before I applied the grip to the wheel, as it feels steady, now it looks like I was wrong. I'll try to avoid any grip on a wheel during straight rides and see if it helps. I also tried different feet positions but I need more time to feel the difference.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, just a quick update, I finally managed to do a good long ride, around 15km, on flat and good quality tarmac and I must say it does much better job now (I have done tyre cleaning as recommended above). The wheel is not wobbling any more and very steady! Thanks everyone who contributed and advised!

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×