Ninebot One Z10 eWheels.com Demo: NYC-Style

houseofjob

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, agreed, just the way you wrote earlier, made it sound like no one could possibly do it, to which I was disagreeing.

But yes, the Z is an advanced wheel for learning how to turn at speed, no doubt.

It must have been my fault, the way I described it... English is not my first language after all :P

Towards the end, I discovered a technique for high speed turning that I have to perfect when I finally get my actual copy of the Z, where I shift and throw my butt towards the turn direction, as if I were trying to touch my butt to the ground. If this were motocross, we would climb over the opposite bike body side of the turn and dip the knee of the turn-side leg to the ground, but since we are not riding in that position, I think it becomes trying to touch your butt to the ground (like as if you were constipated(?)). Since the Z is so resistant to minor turns, you can really throw your weight around in a way that would make you fall on a normal EUC.

I think I know what you meant. I ride the same way on Zs. I usually like to keep a as wide as possible stance, that leaves enough room between my legs for quick turning or micro adjustments. The way I ride Z, I always put more weight on my outside foot (opposite side to where I am turning) turn my body a little bit towards the opposite too, that makes "sitting into the corner" easier, I guess that is very similar to what you described as to touch your butt to the ground. It's somewhat similar to turning when I ski.

This makes sudden change of direction possible when cruising at higher speed in a straight line, but it doesn't help much for me, when turning a big corner, for example a corner 90 degree or more, especially those mountain trails with 135+ degree corners, it becomes much more awkward. Make a sudden turn is not that hard once I get the hang of it, but keep it tilting and continuous turning sharply is still very challenging for me on a Z.

And one note on the Z handle disengage mechanism: 

I originally thought the Z implementation was the same buttonless design as the KS-18L implementation, but this is not true.

The Z underhandle has this very stiff / hard foam throughout under it, that when pressed hard enough, will disengage the motor for lifting the wheel up. It's a little finicky, but the most sensitivity seems to be towards the back of the underhandle, as the front has a screw base to it.

The anti-free spin function is kinda unreliable, but it is much much better now than it was one month earlier. you just have to be a little patient, wait for the disengaging sound then lift it up, it takes less than half a second every time. and try alway told the center part of the handle.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Main parts are riding with super wide feet (like outer feet hanging over the side edge of the pedals), so you eliminate the restriction of the Z body hitting your legs (I do this to a degree with most any wheel).

Towards the end, I discovered a technique for high speed turning that I have to perfect when I finally get my actual copy of the Z, where I shift and throw my butt towards the turn direction, as if I were trying to touch my butt to the ground. If this were motocross, we would climb over the opposite bike body side of the turn and dip the knee of the turn-side leg to the ground, but since we are not riding in that position, I think it becomes trying to touch your butt to the ground (like as if you were constipated(?)). Since the Z is so resistant to minor turns, you can really throw your weight around in a way that would make you fall on a normal EUC.

This is well explained. Sounds familiar. I have developed the same technique for the V10F. It’s possible that all the new wheels with larger tires behave this way. The wheel wants to stay upright and I feel like my body leans more than the wheel itself. Kind of like my butt shifts and drops down towards the turn. It requires riding with feet as wide as possible and not touching the pads. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Z10 No Load Lift Speed Test:

What, was that??? Was that voice and cheering coming from the app/wheel?  I'm confused :confused1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

me too. that was a scary fast run up.

Yeah, I always try to do lift tests smoothly, but this was the result over and over.

Dunno if it's because of the heaviness combined with me holding a camera in the other hand, or just the sheer power of the Z (or my poor technique!).

TBF, on any wheel, I’m terrible at the technique of holding and lifting up the wheel right at the balanced point where it doesn’t spin.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yeah, I always try to do lift tests smoothly, but this was the result over and over.

Dunno if it's because of the heaviness combined with me holding a camera in the other hand, or just the sheer power of the Z (or my poor technique!).

i’m glad u showed me that. i’ll be extra careful picking mine up when i get it.

that is warp speed run up though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:shock2:  Note to users with non-button based lift cutoff switches - do not reduce pressure on the handle in any way, shape or form.

As someone who designs and develops industrial control systems and have had personal experience with Murphy’s law, that’s the first thing I’m disabling. 

I doubt Ninebot designed the lift cutout system with control reliable parts that meet ISO 13849-1 performance level. They might have a provision in the firmware to ignore the lift cutout when the wheel is moving, but a bug or hiccup can end up with the rider face planting.

Edit: After watching the video a few times, it seems the wheel was slowing down in steps. I wonder it’s a safety feature to not completely cutout but “gracefully” face plant the rider instead of an abrupt cutout. Perhaps after Marty and Duf, have Ron ride it at full speed until it cutout. 

Edited by Rotciv
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Wow, so there's a touch-sensitive, tap-to-mute BT Music Speaker feature to the Ninebot One Z I didn't even realize when we still had the demo unit! (FYI, the single speaker is right underneath where his holding)

[repost from https://blog.naver.com/j28072/221296947808]

Nice. BTW, I don't recall, does the Z10 have a warning beeper like other wheels, and if so, is it the typical piezoelectric type or does it use that speaker?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice. BTW, I don't recall, does the Z10 have a warning beeper like other wheels, and if so, is it the typical piezoelectric type or does it use that speaker?

Yes, you'll see it in my Z10 teardown video I still have to edit.

Even though I work in music & have an audio engineering (record/mix) background, I'm not well-versed in speaker construction. Maybe you can tell below? (sorry, image is a little overexposed)

zpqBmK8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, you'll see it in my Z10 teardown video I still have to edit.

Even though I work in music & have an audio engineering (record/mix) background, I'm not well-versed in speaker construction. Maybe you can tell below? (sorry, image is a little overexposed)

zpqBmK8.jpg

Looks like a piezoelectric buzzer. And the speaker must be somewhere else? Was the beeper loud or maybe you never heard it while riding?

:shock2: You tore the Z10 down :confused1:  Now I don't know if I want to take it 10-miles into the back country ;)

• Like 2