Ninebot One Z10 eWheels.com Demo: NYC-Style

houseofjob

15 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

A note for you, I have just talked to a Ninebot engineer, he said "There is no English instruction while pushing firmware update for Zs via APP, they may experience some weird behavior" So, if you guys do update Z's firmware, have a Chinese friends explain procedures/adjustments necessary after an update. 

Do you know if the latest update is safe for riding? I've been scared to update because of past Ninebot One 16" experiences.

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Do you know if the latest update is safe for riding? I've been scared to update because of past Ninebot One 16" experiences.

The only problem we know is, it might affect bluetooth speakers, ie. you can't hear warnings and music clearly, other than that, no safety problem as far as I know, all updates are safe, and now the public beta is over, firmwares are quite stable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Turbocharged said:

The only problem we know is, it might affect bluetooth speakers, ie. you can't hear warnings and music clearly, other than that, no safety problem as far as I know, all updates are safe, and now the public beta is over, firmwares are quite stable. 

Thanks!

Did a short turning in place vid to demonstrate the 5" pedal height and resultant potential turning radius. Really had to use my hips/upper body + heel-pivoting-and-hanging off the lateral pedal edge, but the result is you can still relatively turn in place, despite bigger width, provided your technique.

(oh, sorry for the crappiness of the video quality, not sure why my iPhoneX reverted to 90's camera phone quality *smh)

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Turbocharged said:

See if you can still hear the warning sound, if you just hear some clicking noise, it is probably caused by the update.

Isn’t this a safety concern? Not hearing the beep can lead to a cut out. 

I hope they’ll fix it soon ?

2 hours ago, Rotciv said:

Isn’t this a safety concern? Not hearing the beep can lead to a cut out. 

I hope they’ll fix it soon ?

I am not sure if they will fix it... Since all beta testers' Zs will receive new board and new shell after production unites hit the market, new firmware will be made to be competible with the new main board, so... there are chances beta units with the old board won't work as it is supposed to ... but again, that's what I hear, it may be false info.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Turbocharged said:

I am not sure if they will fix it... Since all beta testers' Zs will receive new board and new shell after production unites hit the market, new firmware will be made to be competible with the new main board, so... there are chances beta units with the old board won't work as it is supposed to ... but again, that's what I hear, it may be false info.

I find it interesting that they are beta testing a board that is so radically different from production that it won't accept the same firmware. Who beta tests the final board/firmware/product? Us?

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I find it interesting that they are beta testing a board that is so radically different from production that it won't accept the same firmware. Who beta tests the final board/firmware/product? Us?

It's not Radically different, the firmware works, just the speaker may have some problems. and as I have mentioned, I only hear this from a beta tester, so his information may not be 100% accurate.

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

This is usually done to insure test units are sent back. Someone can flash a test unit with the released firmware and call/sell it as final product. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quick note on Z10 & bumps, as I just did an early morning Park Ave bomb with @Citi Wheel filming.

• Let out some more air from the tire now, and I think the tire cushion balance (at least for my rider weight) will be as good as it can be on this CST x NB tubeless 18". It's noticeably better cushion, but still in a strong thuddy kind of way, not the ideal springy/bouncy kind of way. But works for me though!
  • On the current more performance-driven 0.4.4 Z10 firmware, hitting each bump at speed tend to land with the pedals tilting a bit back on the landing, something we've seen from EUCs before (speaking in general). I'm guessing they're fine-tuning as we go with the FW rollouts, hopefully they can smooth that out.
  • Like 2

In that V10F vs Z10 photo shoot, the Z10 pedal look tiny.

Any comments on the comfort level of the pedals and their grippiness?

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yeah, they're literally the same pedals as the first OG Ninebot One 16", which are short, wide, and zero grip, with much exposed metal surface in key places.

Test-riding at high speed, I was getting major slippage, so I bought a roll of Jessup griptape and at the very least, applied them to the front and back surfaces.

But originally, it was zero grip. Comfort-wise, I never minded these OG NB pedals, but I do have smaller feet as a wide USM 8.5, and heel-toe pivot dance around my pedals constantly ha.

Oh, and if you're not familiar, those stock protrusions are rubber, not grippy at all.

25xrqVE.jpg

:crying:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yeah, they're literally the same pedals as the first OG Ninebot One 16", which are short, wide, and zero grip, with much exposed metal surface in key places.

Test-riding at high speed, I was getting major slippage, so I bought a roll of Jessup griptape and at the very least, applied them to the front and back surfaces.

But originally, it was zero grip. Comfort-wise, I never minded these OG NB pedals, but I do have smaller feet as a wide USM 8.5, and heel-toe pivot dance around my pedals constantly ha.

25xrqVE.jpg

That's how I originally did my E+ pedals, along with a long strip on the outside edge of the pedals and in the middle.  Looked like the letter E.   @SuperSport did a mod of taking the top of the pedal off and pushing the rubber piece out and covering the whole metal plate with griptape and trimming around the slots for the rubber cushions.

Yeah, way too slick without griptape.  In the photos the top of the pedal is black, I was thinking it was factory applied grip tape like most of the other wheels have.  Maybe on the production models they will do that?  Seems strange that a high performance wheel has non grippy pedals.  :huh:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On the pedals, I believe @Jason McNeil is still fighting for the final production pedals to be the ones we saw on both the announcement model Z and the 2018 CES demo model Z.

Just now, nte said:

Was the top speed for the Z10 raised to 31mph or is it still 28?

28.6 mph according to the app. I've hit 28.4 mph.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nte said:

Is there a tilt back at 28mph?

Yes, somewhere in that range, although I wasn't looking at the app to see the exact speed of initiation. 

High battery percent tiltback is pretty mild, and I think lower battery percent tiltback starts feeling like legit tiltback according to what @Tishawn Fahie was telling me (haven't experienced it at that low a battery myself), but the Z10 tiltback curve on lower battery is still a gentler initiation than the Ninebot tiltback we remember of old.

• Like 1