Bluetooth Horn Button???

Harold Farrenkopf

I know the Inmotion app for the V10F has a horn button function already but it requires the phone to be worn and takes time to access it. I see there are Bluetooth push-buttons available that could be worn on the wrist or stuck to the wrist guards and it would be nice if it could be synced to the V10F horn function. I've got no software smarts but it can't be that hard to do??? They have the development code available for them. Here is one example of such a button:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Bluetooth-Wireless-BLE-finger-PTT-for_60709559215.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.58.590b61b7rCb0xu

Or maybe the phone app may need to sync with the button and wheel for this to work. I have no clue.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Esper said:

I know where you are going with this, but there is already a simple easy solution. Your method may be alright, but mine will get the attention of everyone around you.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Mini-Air-Horn-1-4oz/dp/B0019LZTKU

I've got one of these 140dB Hornits on my bicycle. The horn is built into the wheel already and a simple bluetooth button would be perfect instead of a separate device.

https://www.thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140-new

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beowolve said:

Would be nice if the wheel apps could support this 1$ button:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331621279682?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I've seen kits, but they seem like a lot of trouble just to blow your own horn; (unless you get the 'la cucaracha' horn). ?

Edited by RayRay
check out programmable wireless doorbell unit

17 hours ago, RayRay said:

I've seen kits, but they seem like a lot of trouble just to blow your own horn; (unless you get the 'la cucaracha' horn). ?

The V10F I just bought has a nice sounding electronic horn sound that comes out the speaker at a very good volume. I'd like to see a bluetooth button that can access the horn function of the wheel. It's all about software writing for it which I have no ability to do. If it were an actual separate horn, I have no problem interfacing it with a device but this built in fuction requires a software app to work.

Some places need a horn to be "legal" and not fined for not having one.

2 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

The V10F I just bought has a nice sounding electronic horn sound that comes out the speaker at a very good volume. I'd like to see a bluetooth button that can access the horn function of the wheel. It's all about software writing for it which I have no ability to do. If it were an actual separate horn, I have no problem interfacing it with a device but this built in fuction requires a software app to work.

Some places need a horn to be "legal" and not fined for not having one.

Since the 'horn' is just a sound file sent from the InMotion app to the Bluetooth speakers, I would think any Bluetooth MP3 Player would work. However, if there is an actual separate horn in the V10F, I would think it difficult to access thru software (except for InMotion). It still seems like overkill to try and find an appropriate BT Player just for making horn sounds... A separate device like your hornit is more practical (see this mod).

As for the need to be legal, attach any air horn or bulb horn to your wheel and that should be sufficient. (Hey, it's there. What difference does it make if it's totally impractical?) Lastly, if there is an actual vehicle horn (12V) in there, you can buy a remote like this, but you still need to wire it up...

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RayRay said:

Since the 'horn' is just a sound file sent from the InMotion app to the Bluetooth speakers, I would think any Bluetooth MP3 Player would work. However, if there is an actual separate horn in the V10F, I would think it difficult to access thru software (except for InMotion). It still seems like overkill to try and find an appropriate BT Player just for making horn sounds... A separate device like your hornit is more practical (see this mod).

I didn't think about the horn being generated in the app as a sound file. Are you sure that is where it is coming from?

1 hour ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

I didn't think about the horn being generated in the app as a sound file. Are you sure that is where it is coming from? 

Dunno, I've never heard one 'beep'. Does it sound like a 'car beep' or a 'computer beep'?

A sound file seems more straight forward than the alternatives. It has Bluetooth speakers, so a Bluetooth MP3 Player would still work. Anything else would require insider knowledge to trigger the horn. (InMotion isn't releasing any API's AFAIK.)

12 hours ago, RayRay said:

Dunno, I've never heard one 'beep'. Does it sound like a 'car beep' or a 'computer beep'?

A sound file seems more straight forward than the alternatives. It has Bluetooth speakers, so a Bluetooth MP3 Player would still work. Anything else would require insider knowledge to trigger the horn. (InMotion isn't releasing any API's AFAIK.)

The speakers produces sounds on its own without the app being on so that is why I thought the wheel itself was generating the sound. The horn does sound like a car's horn so it is an mp3 or wave type source but from where? If it is in the wheel, then the app just accesses the function which makes me think a bluetooth type button could be paired to the wheel to act as a wireless horn button without the app or phone. Maybe just wishful thinking.

Actually, I don't think it matters if it's a sound file or not. ("Hello Kingsong" had to be a sound file, but thankfully new models don't say that anymore.) :efefc8626c:

I think my point was playing sound files over BT speakers is easy/straightforward, but only InMotion knows how to trigger their 'horn sound' internally. I have no idea how apps like Wheellog and DarknessBot gain so much access to our wheels (so maybe it's possible). Still, just because our wheels are BT capable doesn't mean we can control all of their functions remotely. ?

5 hours ago, RayRay said:

I have no idea how apps like Wheellog and DarknessBot gain so much access to our wheels (so maybe it's possible). ?

It's pretty easy actually. Simply a Bluetooth LE connection. The hard part is reverse engineering the commands. This is often done by some man in the middle sniffer between the official app and the device to see what bytes go around. This is what takes a lot of time. Once you have those actually using them is not that hard.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:30 AM, ir_fuel said:

It's pretty easy actually. Simply a Bluetooth LE connection. The hard part is reverse engineering the commands. This is often done by some man in the middle sniffer between the official app and the device to see what bytes go around. This is what takes a lot of time. Once you have those actually using them is not that hard.

So, all you need is a more convenient way of communicating the (reverse-engineered) command...

Note: read the threads about Pebble watches because I believe they went out of business (but still works).

On 6/14/2018 at 2:23 AM, RayRay said:

So, all you need is a more convenient way of communicating the (reverse-engineered) command...

In code, it should be pretty easy. The real challenge (from my point of view) is building the hardware. 

On 6/15/2018 at 6:05 AM, ir_fuel said:

In code, it should be pretty easy. The real challenge (from my point of view) is building the hardware. 

Yeah, I don't think a BT device from a bin designed for something else would work. A universal button that worked on anything would sell like crazy...

s0105150_sc7

(Now with universal wireless programmable functionality!)

Edited by RayRay

There is also another issue. In order for it to work efficiently it should be connected permanently via Bluetooth LE to your device. Battery issues aside for the button itself, it will never work if at the same time Darkenssbot or something similar are connected to the euc, as only one connection is allowed.

6 minutes ago, nte said:

The horn button could connect to a mobile phone app(DarknessBot) and then app can connect to the wheel. IIRC 9BMetrics has a Man In The Middle capabilities. It seems like it would be a lot easier to do MITM using the mobile device instead of the horn button hardware. 

The IFTTT device mentioned at the beginning would be a solution if the app supported it. Otherwise, we still don't know what command to send because it's an InMotion. (On top of all the other issues...)

• 3 years later...

The important thing about the horn is it has to be loud and responsive - it has to have no latency.

Both of these conditions are not met with Bluetooth button and playing a sound through the wheel.

The loudness is always messed up if you play music at the same time.

The latency can be seconds or it might not play at all, as Bluetooth and software are capricious.

That's why I gave up the Flic2 button and tasker/ifttt contraptions.

I mounted a Hornit db140 on my elbow guard and the button under my thumb on my Flexmeter. Simple and effective.

Edited by Aztek