G-form knee/elbow - need help pick correct size

I'm considering to buy the G-form Elite knee & elbow protectors, but need help to pick the correct size. They have size chart which gives the sizes I've listed below. I've also read some reviews and comments that going one size up can be good too. I don't want it to be to tight, but at the same time I don't want it to slide up/down. I'm going to use them while riding EUC and not while biking (so most of the cases standing with knees bent a little bit). I'm ordering them online so I can't pre-try them, and returning can be difficult if I pick wrong.

Anyone who could pitch in on which size I should pick?

Knee:
- Sitting: Thigh 44cm, Calf 39cm
    Size based on Thigh = L
    Size based on Calf = L

- Standing: Thigh 48cm, Calf 38cm
    Size based on Thigh = XL
    Size based on Calf = L

Elbow:
- Bicep 32.5cm, Forearm 27cm
    Size based on Bicep = M
    Size based on Forearm = XL

gform_size.png

I do not recommend the XL for either the knee or arm. Too much slack with that style pad will be a big disappointment.

I am also at the upper end between medium and large (both arm and leg) and prefer the medium fit (with a just little tightness). The upper thigh and bicep are the most important for determining how much the elastic sleeves will need to stretch. However, the upper-most part of your thigh is never going to be a factor because sleeves inevitably slip down and find a more natural position to take hold (i.e. the silicon grips lose adhesion as soon as you sweat).

I do not have G-Form knee pads, but use Demon pads of a similar design. I bought them in XL (given the upper-most part of my thigh is thicker than yours) and they are true-to-size but much looser compared to the medium knee pads I own. However, I am confident that G-Form products are true-to-size (have their Pro-X shorts) and that you may find mediums tight at first, but are a better fit in the long-run. ;)

I found that the knee pads fit me true to size.   They are very form fitting and stay in place thanks to a silicon band around the top.   I fell today and they didn't move at all.  

I accidentally got elbow pads that were a size too small.   They squeeze my bicep and are uncomfortable , not to mention that they were a struggle to position properly over my elbow.   I am sending them back for an exchange.  When in doubt, definitely don't go down a size.   If I was at the far end of one size I would probably go up.   Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to my original post above. I read everything above, and after much consideration I ordered the Elite version of knee & elbow in size Large. I got them a couple of days ago and immediately tried them on.

Unfortunately, with my stats above and the L size.... these where blood-stopping tight. And unfortunately had to return them. Complicated return system as I wrote above. I thought I had the correct size, but no.

I have set them up to return the XL size for me now, but in the Pro version instead of the Elite version. Elite version also felt uncomfortably long for both knee & elbow.

I'll update here when I got the Pro XL versions :)

23 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Ha! Mine are mediums! Fit lovely!

Your thighs don't expand 4cm when you stand. (Must be a blood-pressure issue.)

On 6/8/2018 at 6:20 AM, Rino said:

Knee:
    Size based on Thigh = L
    Size based on Calf = L 

Size based on Thigh = XL
    Size based on Calf = L

13 hours ago, RayRay said:

Your thighs don't expand 4cm when you stand. (Must be a blood-pressure issue.)

Agree, but these measures where done multiple times and measured at distance from knee as indicated by instructions - I got help from wife on this too. Notice also that calf got 1 cm less when standing. And no, I'm in good health - no blood pressure issues. Only maybe a little overweight (wife wants some of the stomach fat converted to muscle biceps :)

I hear you. It's amazing/sad how much fatter my upper thigh is than the rest of my leg. :efef36327c:

Hopefully the 'XL' won't slip down when you sit/stand, but you did say the 'L' was tight.

For those with access to PayPal you might be interested to do what I did when it come to getting the right size....

Arrange for PayPal credit on your account and then buy the gear you want in all the sizes you think might work direct from G-Form's website. Charge it to PayPal Credit which is no interest and no payments for 6 months. Try all the sizes on and do direct comparisons between the fit of them and return the ones you decide don't work. PayPal will be credited and then just pay down for the ones you kept.

The only cost to you is return postage and I felt it to be worthwile to have the ability to directly compare the sizes and get things just right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, Rino said:

Knee:
    Size based on Thigh = L
    Size based on Calf = L

Size based on Thigh = XL
    Size based on Calf = L

Elbow:
- Bicep 32.5cm, Forearm 27cm
    Size based on Bicep = M
    Size based on Forearm = XL

Just an update :)

I initially ordered the L size of both knee & elbow for the G-Form Elite. As indicated in a post of mine above, this size proved to be way too tight. I returned them and ordered XL size of G-form Pro (not Elite). I have gotten these now, and can report that the elbow version is too big, and I've given up on this one (maybe if I sometime in the future gets bigger biceps...). Regarding the knee, XL size G-Form Pro, I can report that these are totally perfect for me. I've used them on several trips now, and they feel very comfortable, stays put and I feel secure :)

So at least partial success with this :)

Archived