KS 16S Pedal arm bolt snapped already!

mrelwood

13 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Just curios, where does that 8000km limit come from, did someone calculate a a number from a heavy guy riding in a abusive way in some aggressive environment and then just apply it over the board (which would mean a light guy riding soft in a temperate environment would make it much further), does the manufacturer recommend or what? 

From mrelwood's first post in this thread:  "After only 8000km of taking a 95kg rider (+ gear) through dirt and gravel roads, off-road paths and some pavement, one of the bolts that hold the pedal arm on the axle, snapped. Luckily the other bolt held, so the event wasn't very spectacular."

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

From mrelwood's first post in this thread:  "After only 8000km of taking a 95kg rider (+ gear) through dirt and gravel roads, off-road paths and some pavement, one of the bolts that hold the pedal arm on the axle, snapped. Luckily the other bolt held, so the event wasn't very spectacular."

Thanks Esa, ok so just what started the thread, ok I see.

Yeah that number I would never use personally then, if 1 broke there I back off quite a lot before even starting calling it service life :lol:

• 5 months later...

Sorry, for being late to the debate.  I don't think this is something to worry about.  Firstly, how many wheels have got to 8,000km? How many will ever get to 8,000km?  This may be a "flaw" but KS pedal arms are the easiest to work on of all the designs I have seen.  The Gotway/Ninebot nut and shims and led stopper design, is an absolute joke.  These King Song bolts in question are so easy to remove, tighten, replace, its ridiculous.  You just need a standard Alan wrench, and maybe an extension because they are, in my experience, very tight.  

Anyone who wishes to change theirs for stronger western bolts merely has to remove the wheel from the shelland have at it.  For a few dollars in parts and a few hours on the floor in front of the TV what's the big deal?  How many Gotway owners would like to deal with their pedal/axle problems with this little investment in time and money.

Yeah yeah, I'm personally familiar with the whole cracked axle thing.  Hopefully the newest design has put that problem to bed. 

23 hours ago, Smoother said:

I don't think this is something to worry about

I think we all agree. The tone on the title was intended as a joke, since as you mentioned, 8000km is already a hefty distance for any wheel. And the $2 bolt is a fairly fair cost of maintenance.

If I didn’t yet mention, we did redo the interrupted trip around the large park pretty soon with the new pedal arm bolts. And it was a blast!

Archived