Anyone here riding an electric scooter?

ir_fuel

I too also placed an order recently on the Dualtron EX II. I was riding an EUC for a while and until my city fixes its roads, I'll use the Dualtron. For me, its not about the sensation of riding, but the safety of my person while crossing the street. I know for sure that I could just as easily ride at a lower speed with my old Tesla. But what I am not going to do is ride at full speed down a street that hasn't been maintained in over a decade and has more cracks than Deadpool's face. I am getting mine for safety and I'll use an EUC when they come out with a proper high end Z10 maybe in a few years.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, houseofjob said:

What e-Kick Scooters have going for it is no learning curve, but more importantly (with the Pro models) bigger performance than EUCs (they're now reaching 100kph speeds with the upcoming Dualtron X).

100km/h on this thing? That's an accident waiting to happen ... Must be interesting once you get speed wobbles with those small wheels.

I think there is also a vocabulary issue here.

In our country we have 2 different names for what seems to be the same product in English.

We have a "trottinette"

trotinette-lucky-clover.jpg

and then we have a "trottinette electrique"

Trottinette-Electrique-Pliable-Xiaomi-M3

and then we have a "scooter"

TT50SC-A1-2.jpg?1500283752

and a "scooter electrique"

28166618_2045503325691041_24257455457795

In English they are all called "scooters" it seems.

It's like the difference between a bicycle and a moped and an electrical bike.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't go by American English, we bastardize all! ??

To me, makes most sense:

Scooters = too vague, but mostly Vespas, etc, because they have existed the longest

thus, Electric Scooters = Vespas (for me) too!

But classifying the Dualtron types as "electric kickboard scooters" or e-kick scooters, etc, seems most accurate, as they are an electric-motored evolution from the small child kick scooters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

But classifying the Dualtron types as "electric kickboard scooters" or e-kick scooters, etc, seems most accurate, as they are an electric-motored evolution from the small child kick scooters.

Dunno, if you look at the last picture, with the seat and all that ... a motorcycle is also an evolution of a moped.

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Dunno, if you look at the last picture, with the seat and all that ... a motorcycle is also an evolution of a moped.

What would you call it if it had no seat? 
Ultra-Product-Feature-Image.jpg

Had a few more rides with this toy. Instead of just riding around I used it as a real A to B tool. Ok, it has indeed some positive sides for that kind of use (an EUC is more practical to take inside, this is safer wrt bumps and potholes but riding it one-handed is pretty sketchy). Wouldn't want to do an emergency brake on this thing though ... 25 km/h is pretty fast already. And apparently you can unlock them so they go even faster ... pure madness. 

But I can imagine with bigger wheels, dual motors, suspension and better geometry it would become an entirely different beast.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Why does this thing have tyres like on a car and not motorcycle/bike round tyres?

28166618_2045503325691041_24257455457795

Doesn't that suck for high speed cornering?

Dunno, but I’d very much like to find out! ?

Has anyone had any experience on an Inmotion L8F? I am thinking of getting one, I want something light, powerful and discreet, not too obvious looking, I need to be able to get away with it due to Uk Laws. Dualtron looks heavy, like it is on steroids. Do they have a lighter version? 

Edited by Edddeus

36 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

Has anyone had any experience on an Inmotion L8F? I am thinking of getting one, I want something light, powerful and discreet, not too obvious looking, I need to be able to get away with it due to Uk Laws. Dualtron looks heavy, like it is on steroids. Do they have a lighter version? 

The manufacturer is Minimotors. They make 3 lines that I know of, Speedway, Dualtron, and Jeontadae. I know that the Dualtrons are more powerful while speedways are lighter, smaller, and have their own 'mini' offshoot.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

What speeds are you hitting? Seems pretty fast.

I have no idea what speeds he was hitting. But I do know what model he was using and its top speed 65/kph just over 40/mph.

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Had a few more rides with this toy. Instead of just riding around I used it as a real A to B tool. Ok, it has indeed some positive sides for that kind of use (an EUC is more practical to take inside, this is safer wrt bumps and potholes but riding it one-handed is pretty sketchy). Wouldn't want to do an emergency brake on this thing though ... 25 km/h is pretty fast already. And apparently you can unlock them so they go even faster ... pure madness. 

But I can imagine with bigger wheels, dual motors, suspension and better geometry it would become an entirely different beast.

This is the braking. The first half of the video is unboxing and the second half is testing out capabilities.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Kingsong have just released some new scooter models... It would be good to see how they compare with some of these other "serious" scooters.

Do you have a link to share with us?