Edmonton Canada

Edmsuper

The next meeting of the yegwheel group is Sunday June 2nd 11am. Also, we're planning a wheel field trip to Drumheller the weekend of June 22, 23. Anyone interested in participating on one of those days  please let me know.

Next meeting of the yegwheel group is Sunday June 9th, 11am. For the first hour we'll have the cones and obstacles out in the rink. We are scheduled to do the Rundle Park run after that (leaving around noon-1230), about a 35km run, round trip. Photo and video opportunities along the way, everyone welcome.

------

This one was a bit eventful; we're all doing better on the backwards riding a bit, the 18xl technical issues seem to have been resolved. All good until we hit the road to Rundle. It was a good run to about half way then I developed a flat on my creaky old ACM2 (only about a year old, but closing in on 5000kms, much of it rough winter driving.) Then a fierce rain came and drenched us and we called it a day and cabbed it back, drenched and with a flat wheel. 

Once we got back I switched wheels and we were back on the road again, this time over to a coffee shop (Mill Creek cafe) for some hot beverages and to unwind. One of our group is now riding to the meetup on the wheel, kudos to him, that adds 16kms to his riding total for the day.

Next week we'll have the meetup but the  focus will be gearing up to do a quality presentation / demo for the Ritchie Community league the following weekend.

Edited by winterwheel

Not exactly a meetup, but the Ritchie Community League will be having a Personal Electric Vehicle day on June 23rd, wheels, e-boards,  e-bikes in the mix. Yegwheels group will be out with a bunch of training wheels and demo equipment. Awesome way to show support for getting out of cars and into modern ways of getting around town.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder, Ritchie Community League is hosting an alternative wheeling day on this-coming Sunday (June 23rd) from 2-5 pm. We'll have all our wheels out with some obstacle courses and a display, and be doing demos and such over that period. It would be awesome to have a few more people out besides the usual suspects. Apparently some electric skateboard people might be out as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Next Yegwheel meetup is Sunday July 7th at Ritchie Arena. (Check facebook/yegwhel for most up to date details). Training/demos/obstacles in the rink from 11-12, group ride after (at 12:15p), targeting around 30km and intermediate difficulty.

I'm thinking doing a run from downtown Edmonton out to the International Airport, it'd be about a 30km run each way, doable by most mid- to high-range wheels.  We don't need to do any highway to get there, we can do range roads out of Edmonton where there will be minimal traffic. If we could get a few people to do it we might be able to interest the media as a human interest, alternate travel thing. A couple of us took a ride out to the southern edge of Edmonton yesterday, it was an easy, fun ride.

EndOfTheWorld01

From our group ride today... at "the end of the world" lookout point over the North Saskatchewan river. The ride was notable as it included 10km or more of intermediate trail riding along the river, including some nice hills in the forest and not too much pedestrian traffic. Wheels are two KS-18XLs and an MSX (not shown).

Edited by winterwheel

• 4 weeks later...

Next group ride is Sunday August 11, departing at 12:15 or so from Ritchie Arena.

The usual rink training session will take place at 11am for those who wish to participate in that or both. I have found a mini bmx course near the velodrome, I've tried it a couple of times on a couple of different wheels and it is AWESOME, so I'd like to head up there for this one and let everyone try it. It is fun intermediate, with a couple of advanced pieces that have bail out paths for those who need them.

• 1 month later...

Were planning a big (in terms of rider count) ride  for Sunday August 22; we'd like to show Edmonton that there are a lot more than one or two riders in the area. The start time is tentatively noon from the Ritchie area although we may adjust that to be a bit later as we find what everyone's availability is.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, winterwheel said:

Were planning a big (in terms of rider count) ride  for Sunday August 22; we'd like to show Edmonton that there are a lot more than one or two riders in the area. The start time is tentatively noon from the Ritchie area although we may adjust that to be a bit later as we find what everyone's availability is.

Update on this... we are going to put it back a week to Sunday Sept 29th. At least four people can't make it this week but can make it on the 29th, so we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope the weather holds.

Particulars: Assemble at Ritchie Arena at  12pm Sept 29th, depart at 12:30pm.

Please feel free to email me at terry@yegwheel.net with any questions / updates.

For this week we will be doing a smaller group ride on SATURDAY (Sep 21) at 11am from Ritchie arena. No rink session for this one, just meet at 11am and head out. I think there will only be power wheels out for this one, so for those who can make it, charge up your biggest wheels and we'll go out for a long one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

We had our first official meetup today, good turnout with five regulars and three new riders, especially since we put it together pretty quickly and didn't really make a proper formal announcement. The next meetup will be Sunday June 21st at Ritchie Arena. 1-2:15pm practice session and demos/training session for new riders, followed by a group ride around the city for experienced riders.

We have plenty of spare wheels for people to try out, so don't be shy about inviting a friend along, but please give us a heads up so we bring out enough equipment.

• 3 months later...