Edmonton Canada

Edmsuper

tl;dr: Ritchie Arena Sundays: 10a skill development / intro for new riders; 1045am group ride. 

We had an awesome little ride on Sunday, three of us a starting from Ritchie, cruising down Mill Creek Ravine to the river, East along the river to the Dawson Bridge, then west along the North side to the Walterdale, and back to Ritchie from there, total distance about 26km. I've posted a couple of videos on the video thread or they can be seen on the yegwheel facebook page as well.

The updated plan for Sunday mornings is to hang out at the arena from 10 to 1045 or so to give any new folk a chance to do some test drives / get an intro to wheels, or work on some advanced skills; then whoever is there at 1045 can come along for a little road trip. We may plan a larger roadtrip in a few weeks when we have a few more people on board.

Congratulations to A.S. who has already moved up to his second wheel.

Meetup #3 this morning we had the usual suspects plus a friend who came down to give electric unicycles a try. A video from the session has been posted over in the video thread, link to it is below.  We all got a chance to try out Adam's new wheel (KS16) and it's great, much better for road trips than the old one, which had done a very nice job as a getting-started wheel. We took it out for a little spin around the ravine and Ritchie just to see how it would perform, it worked just fine as a road wheel.

We have a proper Youtube channel now, "yegwheel", but unfortunately I clobbered all the videos that were in there in trying to move them. Three have been restored (plus the new one today,) but it'll be a while before we get everything back up there. Sadly, the view counts have all been reset to zero.

Next week, now that we have three robust wheels, we're going to take it up a little notch and aim to do a 40k ride around town. @Xoltri and @Edmsuper we'd love to have you out as well if you're around. Planning to depart around 10:30; we'll be meeting up at 10a to do demos for any new users and any prep that might be needed.

Edited by yegwheel

Slight revision to the suggested plan for this weekend; I'm working on a route that goes 40k but has an option to end around 30k depending on how things are going, everyone feeling good, wheels holding up, time is permitting etc. 

We had a great trip this morning. A couple of photos have been posted over in the photos thread, link below. I'll work on getting some video out, but that takes a while to get done. 

We had a four to start with... it was great to see @Edmsuper out. We traveled out to, and around Rundle Park along the river valley and back. We had a bit of trouble with a low battery at the end, but all in all it was great learning experience; it always amazes me what these wheels can do, there were a few intense little hills along the way and all the wheels ate em up and asked  for more. The reaction of the spectators along the way to the four of us in our wheel convoy was an added bonus.

Next week we are planning something shorter and more civilized, just a little trip around some of the sights in the downtown area -- legislature and the university area in particular. Hopefully we can get some video up later. We'll be back to the usual schedule; 10am to work on things in the arena, demos for any new users who might want to try it out; 1045 is when we'll head out on the road. Anyone can feel free to come at 10:30-10:45 if they just want to do the road trip part.

I've finally tossed the old yegwheel site and started to rebuild a new one from scratch. The new one is here. There isn't much there yet except links to the videos we've done so far, but the new format will allow us to to do more stuff such as finally putting in our times from those little test runs we did a few weeks back.

5 minutes ago, yegwheel said:

Next yegwheel meetup...

There has been some discussion of an evening ride as well, I'm suggesting a Tuesday or Wednesday fairly soon (less pedestrian traffic, before temperatures drop too much). We should firm up the particulars for that this Sunday as well. Suggestions on here for how that should go are welcome as well.

18 hours ago, Edmwheel said:

Map of this morning 22km ride

This is fantastic, thanks for putting it up. Next week we'll have the camera going again.

For anyone missing these because Sundays are a bad time, we are planning an evening ride for next Wednesday (Sep 19). We are going to tour the legislature again as well as a couple of bridges and anywhere else where the combination of night lighting and electric unicycles might make for some cool video. We might adjust to Tuesday or Thursday depending on what the weather looks like. Watch this space and the Facebook page for updates.

Sunday morning (Sep 15) we will still be meeting as usual at Ritchie for chat/demos/rink practice @10a, with a group ride (15-25km) departing at 10:30.

Edited by yegwheel

12 hours ago, Edmwheel said:

With the weather not being kind I assume we will not be meeting tomorrow.

Yeah, lets bag it  for this week, especially since my main wheel is still in pieces and the precip is coming down again right now.

I will pop over to the rink at 10 just to make sure nobody goes there.

Hey all, we have a new guy who will be coming to the meet on Sunday looking to try it out and having expressed a strong interest in buying a used wheel to learn on.

I'll be bringing my V8 as an option which was great for me, but I'd rather not sell it if I don't have to.

Anyone willing to sell off one of their wheels (with the excellent side-benefit of getting someone new on board) should bring it down on Sunday.

(For those who haven't been to many or any of our meetups yet ;), if you have a starter-class wheel to unload and Sunday isn't a good time, we could maybe work something else out. )