how to fix a bent euc rim?

Shad0z

I had success with a bench vice (hammering did nothing). Remove air from tire and put the rim in there and bend it back with this. Do it slowly and be careful not to make it too tight (bending it further than it should be), or you might get small cracks (no problem, but still preventable).

Here's my thread about my fix, worked perfectly (minus the cracks):

Good luck.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I had a very bent rim edge, I used vise-grips mostly.  It looks straightish now.   With how bent mine was, there was no way do it without cracking the rim (maybe with a lot of heat I could have done it), but it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all.   That said, its an older model and doesn't do the speeds that a tesla can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I had success with a bench vice (hammering did nothing). Remove air from tire and put the rim in there and bend it back with this. Do it slowly and be careful not to make it too tight (bending it further than it should be), or you might get small cracks (no problem, but still preventable).

Here's my thread about my fix, worked perfectly (minus the cracks):

Good luck.

you saved my day. You rock ? :) 

the bike shop told me a depressing "no way to fix it, buy a new rim"

i will try it out

:)

edit: I checked out your post. I have 3 bench vices so no problem :D 

but how exactly did you do it?

Edited by Shad0z

3 hours ago, Shad0z said:

but how exactly did you do it?

?? Not many options to it. I deflated the tire (didn't want to remove the motor from the wheel or remove the tire), "stood" my ACM into the vice like into a EUC stand where the shell rests on something on both sides, and the tire hangs between the sides, and wound the vice closed (a bit too far, so I got an extra crack). It helped that you could rest the ACM shell on the vice sides and the rim was in a good spot then, so I didn't have to hold the heavy wheel during the process. Maybe it makes sense to fix the wheel upside down somehow, remove the vice from the table, and use it as a loose tool. Or remove the motor from the rest (and remove the tire) then it's easiest to handle the motor, and you see better what you're doing.

But in the end, you only need something that bends the rim back without doing any other damage.

Btw, did this bend happen when you tried a different tire? I'm not sure what happened to my wheel, but somehow I think the Kenda offroad tire I had might have caused this.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

?? Not many options to it. I "stood" my ACM into the vice like into a EUC stand where the shell rests on something on both sides, and the tire hangs between the sides, and wound the vice closed (a bit too far, so I got an extra crack). It helped that you could rest the shell on the vice sides and the rim was in a good spot then, so I didn't have to hold the heavy wheel during the process. Maybe it makes sense to fix the wheel upside down somehow, remove the vice from the table, and use it as a loose tool.

But in the end, you only need something that bends the rim back without doing any other damage.

can you draw what you explained??? i just dont understand. if you mean that you stood you wheel up straight in the vice and just tightened the vice. wouldnt that just compress the rim instead of striaghtening it? o_O

Well, my rim had an outwards dent (see photos in the other thread) so the vice made sense. If you have some other damage (inwards bend?), maybe it makes no sense with the vice. Then you can try pliers and hammers, but this absolutely didn't work for me.

Stood it into there approximately like that. Was a different vice than in the photo (the pictured one is a piece of ****) and I removed the small screw plates that are the bottom of the ACM shell, but it fit quite well.

3JWxy8.jpg

Can you maybe post a photo of your damage? But I guess you see if a vice make sense for you or not depending on your damage.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Well, my rim had an outwards dent (see photos in the other thread) so the vice made sense. If you have some other damage (inwards bend?), maybe it makes no sense with the vice. Then you can try pliers and hammers, but this absolutely didn't work for me.

Stood it into there approximately like that. Was a different vice than in the photo (the pictured one is a piece of ****) and I removed the small screw plates that are the bottom of the ACM shell, but it fit quite well.

3JWxy8.jpg

Can you maybe post a photo of your damage? But I guess you see if a vice make sense for you or not depending on your damage.

my damage is inwards but not nearly as bad as yours. Well Now i need another way to fix it o_o

something that bends it carefully like a vice and is not like a hammer that basically cracks it not matter what

• 2 weeks later...

I went off-roading today, was going at a good clip, must have caught a rock on the edge of my rim - instantaneous loss of air, from full to flat in a second. Bent rim - ?. First a broken leg, now a broken rim. Maybe EUCs and I weren't meant to be.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

I went off-roading today, was going at a good clip, must have caught a rock on the edge of my rim - instantaneous loss of air, from full to flat in a second. Bent rim - ?. First a broken leg, now a broken rim. Maybe EUCs and I weren't meant to be.

What?  how bad?  Man hope you are okay...  I've broken my leg in 3 places but I was young then...  Hope all is well with you...  :confused1:

Edited by Mark Lee

Here is a post I replied to in one of this forum's many injury threads. This happened back in late January - I'm at 95% now but when it happened, it probably was one of the most painful experiences in recent memory for me.

Welcome to the club!

I got a knee injury about 5 weeks ago. Still can't walk.

image.png.b17dd0ebfc346ba65fc93daf0d693685.png

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that about your injury to your knee.  Are you Okay otherwise, no injury from this fall?

Edited by Mark Lee

• 3 weeks later...

So one of my customers also had a bent rim that needed to be fixed. I was able to carefully heat up the area using blowtorch and then squeeze that area carefully with a vice to straighten it out. You can see the before and after pictures. Also did this with the tire off in order to squeeze just the bent area.lPNqP9c.jpg

lhzf0hD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

So one of my customers also had a bent rim that needed to be fixed. I was able to carefully heat up the area using blowtorch and then squeeze that area carefully with a vice to straighten it out. You can see the before and after pictures. Also did this with the tire off in order to squeeze just the bent area.lPNqP9c.jpg

lhzf0hD.jpg

But how would you do it if it was inwards?

23 hours ago, Shad0z said:

But how would you do it if it was inwards?

The same process should still work if the rim was bent in since the vice will straighten out the entire rim no matter what direction it was facing. 

16 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

The same process should still work if the rim was bent in since the vice will straighten out the entire rim no matter what direction it was facing. 

How would you do it? give me a little process in steps. maybe some drawings. In my head when i picture what you typed i just think of a vice as conpressing the rim making outwards bends fixed but inwards would still be inwards just conpressing the rim further so it becomes deformed. Just explain a little. thanks in advance :D

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

How would you do it? give me a little process in steps. maybe some drawings. In my head when i picture what you typed i just think of a vice as conpressing the rim making outwards bends fixed but inwards would still be inwards just conpressing the rim further so it becomes deformed. Just explain a little. thanks in advance :D

Just put the bent side in the vice, not the entire rim?  As in:

mIqq0iK.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I used a blow torch, a hammer, piece of cloth, and some vice grips (the plier kind). Now it's arguable whether I made an improvement or not but the wheel works. Getting the KS16S was a pain in my ass, probably took over two hours. Use soapy water fellas, it makes hell of a difference getting the tire off and on. I wanted to try out some off-road tires but find out I much prefer the road tires. However, I won't be changing it until I get another flat since it is such a pain in the ass. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gr8ps said:

I used a blow torch, a hammer, piece of cloth, and some vice grips (the plier kind). Now it's arguable whether I made an improvement or not but the wheel works. Getting the KS16S was a pain in my ass, probably took over two hours. Use soapy water fellas, it makes hell of a difference getting the tire off and on. I wanted to try out some off-road tires but find out I much prefer the road tires. However, I won't be changing it until I get another flat since it is such a pain in the ass. 

Dont change your tire yo the Schwable mad mike tire. I put it on. Big mistake! It seemed to work well a little noisy. But not a big issue. and amazing grip. Good upgrade. I rode it like normal on asphalt and on some forest trail. And by the end of approximately a few weeks the middle column of studs were weared down totally. Less than a milimeter of them less and the side studs only half of them was left. The tire is made of a way too soft rubber for normal euc riding. Unless you live in the forest where there is no asphalt or concrete. Actually by day 2 i notives that the small details in the studs were disappearing. I cant reccomend this tire to anyone. The cons outweigh the benefits hugely

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2018 at 5:02 PM, gr8ps said:

Your third sentence is missing a word or something..... you mean getting the KS16S tire off the rim? Or just getting to the wheel/tire out of the shell in the first place?