Help me choose my first EUC

kinggus

3 hours ago, kinggus said:

the 16s doesn't cut the power when lifted? so if i manage to somehow get my leg under while caring I'll get "burnt"?

Yes, as with most EUCs.

It will turn off when it has reached its maximal (spinningspeed and it cannot be recommended (at all) to put it on the floor (or foot) before that has happened. If you are talented you may be able to slow it down by doing controlled forth-and-back swivels (I can only do it with one of my wheels and not quite reliably).

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

You don't lift a running EUC unless it has the handle switch, so no you won't. You'll turn it off first.

Have unintentionally lifted a powered on EUC many times and many people that I have let try have done it despite my warnings (some literally 2 seconds after I told them not to). It's quite unintuitive to grasp that one should not lift it even for a short moment. We are all humans, while you must be super-human, clearly.

Edited by Mono

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Might want to consider the gotway Tesla.  It is another good 16” wheel.  Maybe for your size, maybe consider the king song 18s.  It has a seat. The 18s is very robust and has a great track record.   The 18S is also fast.  50kmph when you unlock it. 

Wait, what? :blink:  Marty!!!!!  Mahhhhtee!!!  Paging @Marty Backe!!!!

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

.Maybe I'm wrong, as they offer a Probefahrt, wondering what would happen if you show up there.

You are not wrong there.  Let me tell you, it's not pleasant!  Do not opt for the "Probefahrt," or at least make sure you have a clearly defined "safe" word.  :innocent1:  I'm still a little bit traumatized.  :cry2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wait, what? :blink:  Marty!!!!!  Mahhhhtee!!!  Paging @Marty Backe!!!!

You are not wrong there.  Let me tell you, it's not pleasant!  Do not opt for the "Probefahrt," or at least make sure you have a clearly defined "safe" word.  :innocent1:  I'm still a little bit traumatized.  :cry2:

@eddiemoy has been complimenting the Tesla for a long time now - guess you just missed it until now :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:huh:  Ew, I must have missed that.  Our work is almost complete, Darth Backe.  He will turn to the dark side eventually.  I have foreseen it.  Instruct Darth @Cloud to meet me on my cruiser.  We have great plans to set into place...

IMG_4304.gif

:laughbounce2:

6 hours ago, Mono said:

Have unintentionally lifted a powered on EUC many times and many people that I have let try have done it despite my warnings (some literally 2 seconds after I told them not to). It's quite unintuitive to grasp that one should not lift it even for a short moment. We are all humans, while you must be super-human, clearly.

Actually I suspect it's my dedicated unsuper-humanness that makes me avoid lifting a wheel, any wheel, at any time. And if I really have to do it, I'll qvindruple-check that everything really does go smoothly. Otherwise my back will crap down on me again and lock me up in my bed for a few weeks. :efee96588e:

(Did I have an unintended superhuman-tone in my previous post that I missed...? :efeed51798: )

On 06/02/2018 at 11:10 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm not knowledgable about KS sellers, it's a bit easier with Gotway:efee47c9c8: @Coffee guy Any ideas where to buy a KS for Switzerland?

electro-sport.de (reputable German seller) specifically has an option for shipping to Switzerland (I guess automatically doing taxes etc.), but he only has the 840Wh version and it's way too expensive there. Link: https://www.electro-sport.de/epages/78292882.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78292882/Products/"Kingsong KS16S (840 Wh)"

1radwerkstatt.de (German KS importer, also very reputable) has all the battery and color options, you can ask him about shipping to Switzerland, best to email: 1radwerkstatt@gmx.de (better in German than English) Link: http://www.1radwerkstatt.de/epages/80603321.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/80603321/Products/KS16[1]/SubProducts/KS16-0010[1]

Maybe there are some good French KS sellers nearby, I don't know which exist for France.

It comes down to price and what they do with sending to Switzerland. 1rad has the best price I can find (and they have the 680Wh). I'd ask there.

There are several other good Euro sellers, speedyfeet.co.uk, electricunicycles.eu, but probably 1rad or a French store is best for you.

Or maybe really your local store works, if you can confirm they're ok.

Hi @meep I've been out of the loop for several weeks now on account of hospitalization (fyi).  But to answer the question of where to buy a Ks16s in Switzerland, yes, Tec-way.ch if I remember correctly. They are in Geneva

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coffee guy said:

Hi @meep I've been out of the loop for several weeks now on account of hospitalization (fyi).  But to answer the question of where to buy a Ks16s in Switzerland, yes, Tec-way.ch if I remember correctly. They are in Geneva

Ouch! EUC related?

Well, thanks, looks like there is at least one reputbale CH dealer. And hoping your ailment gets better quickly!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2018 at 5:19 PM, mrelwood said:

The motor power also reads in the rim, 1200W for the 16S.

Congrats on a great choice and a great wheel!

On 6/17/2018 at 11:58 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Cool! Let's see if it actually is a 16S:efeebb3acc: the app should show that.

Yep indeed an 16s. 1200W wheel it was.

patched it up with some car protection film and charged it for an hour before hopping up on it for my premiere drive.

all I can say is wow...

im a professional sports athlete and thought that with my balance and strength, this will be a walk in the park. Holy cow how wrong i was. 

First of all, the pads on the ks16s? What’s the point of them? They are hard as rock. During my first 5 min, just trying to get on it, my tibia’s where already swollen.

And then it took me about another 10-15min to realize that I jump of the EUC the wrong way, which made the wheel go bananas when going down, hitting my legs and creating blood spill...

Sat down, soaking wet from sweating and looked on the forums to find some good tips on getting started. Realized that holding to a wall and trying to go slow along it was not that good.

So I tried to start without holding on to something and that worked really well. After that I was riding it pretty well for 20 min before i called it a night. 

One thing that I hade problems with was Turing to the right, haven’t figured that out yet. Alsoi think that I need to fill up the wheel with some air.

and please, how do you register on the Kingsong-new app? That app is a disaster. Do i really need it or can I just use DarknessBot? 

Take care fellow riders!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cool, 16S for a really good price! Guess I was wrong about the dealer.

The pads are just for getting on/off, usually you barely touch them. But during learning, yep your legs will get some bruising:efee47c9c8:

Definitely pump up your tire, that's something a lot of people who get a new wheel forget or don't know about.

As for turning, simply look where you want to go. I find using your upper body/your hips is much easier than shifting weight between the legs. I'd ignore the legs (for now), just stand relaxed but don't shift weight, and only turn your upper body and see where that takes you. You look, your shoulders follow, the rest of your body follows, and so does the wheel. It also helps if you have a visual point (like a manhole cover) to turn around instead of just on plain ground.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

As for turning, simply look where you want to go. I find using your upper body/your hips is much easier than shifting weight between the legs.

Once you get a bit more speed, absolutely.

I didn't have the guts to take on even jogging speeds until I knew how to steer, so tilting the wheel between my legs was the key for me to let go of the wall. Then it all started to click in place.

I'd say watch this video, try the different turning methods and choose which one (or combination) works for you the best.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kinggus said:

I’m  a professional sports athlete and thought that with my balance and strength, this will be a walk in the park. Holy cow how wrong i was. 

First of all, the pads on the ks16s? What’s the point of them? They are hard as rock. During my first 5 min, just trying to get on it, my tibia’s where already swollen.

And then it took me about another 10-15min to realize that I jump of the EUC the wrong way, which made the wheel go bananas when going down, hitting my legs and creating blood spill...

Sat down, soaking wet from sweating 

Yep!!  My thoughts exactly.  I had a problem turning right also.  Then I watch a video of a 72 year old man riding one on his birthday.  Looks so peaceful and easy.  Keep it up. It gets easier every day. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Once you get a bit more speed, absolutely.

I didn't have the guts to take on even jogging speeds until I knew how to steer, so tilting the wheel between my legs was the key for me to let go of the wall. Then it all started to click in place.

I'd say watch this video, try the different turning methods and choose which one (or combination) works for you the best.

great! that help me a-lot!

Is the Tesla still a decent wheel to get these days?  This would be a first wheel, for riding around 5-10 miles in a downtown area with a couple parks,  maybe 25-30 miles on a bike path, and through local college campuses.  I stumbled across a video of an InMotion V8...then KS16s, then Tesla, then V10F, then the new 18" wheels, and back to the Tesla.  I'm cripplingly indecisive at times, even when deciding on mundane things like pants and shoes.  I figure if I enjoy this I can get another wheel later.

I know a lot of people seem to be asking the same question; sorry about that :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Meelosh123 said:

Is the Tesla still a decent wheel to get these days?  This would be a first wheel, for riding around 5-10 miles in a downtown area with a couple parks,  maybe 25-30 miles on a bike path, and through local college campuses.  I stumbled across a video of an InMotion V8...then KS16s, then Tesla, then V10F, then the new 18" wheels, and back to the Tesla.  I'm cripplingly indecisive at times, even when deciding on mundane things like pants and shoes.  I figure if I enjoy this I can get another wheel later.

Tesla is an awesome wheel.  But the flimsy case is not designed for drops and being a first time rider, you will drop the wheel.  Think the 16S or V10F would be a better choice.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meelosh123 said:

Tesla is great, I don't like the aesthetics but many do, if u do end up getting it make sure u pad the wheel up while learning. I almost bought a Tesla but instead chose the ACM2 as I just couldn't get over how ugly, in my opinion, the telsa is. Oddly enough I think the mcm5 looks great haha. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meelosh123 said:

I would prefer the Tesla over the Inmotion V10F because it has no speed crippling. It's a very fast wheel all away down to below ~20% battery. It's a beautiful handling wheel.

Maybe the case isn't as tough as the KS16S or V10F, but it won't exactly fall apart. Unlike older Gotway wheels, the Tesla shuts off very quickly when it falls.

If you have any sense that you'll enjoy periodic fast riding, you'll be forever frustrated with the V10F and particularly the KS16S. In my opinion, the only reason to now buy a KS16S is for budgetary reasons. Otherwise, buy the V10F unless you want a true performance wheel, then buy the Tesla.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Tesla is an awesome wheel.  But the flimsy case is not designed for drops and being a first time rider, you will drop the wheel.  Think the 16S or V10F would be a better choice.  

Cover it with padding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1