My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

4 hours ago, Adumb said:

@Marty Backe Love the vids of u taking the mcm5 mountain riding. I'm torn between this or an KS18L for my next wheel, although ur vids sway me to the former. The mcm5 was going to mainly be for my wife (yeah right) but she's hesitant to get her own since it's taking her long to learn on mine. Anyway...Keep up the vids mate, always a joy to watch and a pleasure to read ur forum posts. Cheers. 

Thanks :D  I love the MCM5 and I expect that I'll really like the 18L too. Very different wheels that can't be compared directly. It's going to come down to the type of riding that you want to do with the next wheel. For zipping around town and technical trail riding, my vote will be for the smaller wheel. For cruising (trail or street), I'd be grabbing the 18L.

It's so difficult to choose, and that's why I don't have two wheels :unsure:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

How lucky can a guy get?  Pretty lucky, I just purchased MCM5 650Wh with 50 miles on it (from experienced rider).  It connected to my WheeLog with no problems.  @Marty Backe what air pressure are you running on this unit?  Is it as high as ~65psi as KS14S?  FWIW people Hell bent on not trying newer Gotway wheels are missing out...  :whistling:

Wow, someone bought an MCM5 and didn't like it :(

I ride mine at 45-psi. KingSong seems to use tires that are rated for higher pressures than Gotway. I typically fill mine to the highest pressure listed on the side of the tire.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I ride mine at 45-psi. KingSong seems to use tires that are rated for higher pressures than Gotway. I typically fill mine to the highest pressure listed on the side of the tire.

Well he's married, has a Tesla and wants to buy an electric scooter...  Thank you for the pressure info...  I've rode 12 miles already and like it... :clap3:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Incredible! I saw the advert and was hoping the guy is based in Europe, only to find out he is in the States ?. Quality wheels like this don't come up for sale at all in the UK ?

Edited by Edddeus
  • Like 2

From my first ride on MCM5, charge was at 95% rode for 12 miles at 10-15mph, went down to 55%.  Very smooth easier to ride at faster pace than KS14S.  I weigh 175#, 5'11".  I really appreciate the braking on this unit, much better than KS14S.  :thumbup:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

From my first ride on MCM5, charge was at 95% rode for 12 miles at 10-15mph, went down to 55%.  Very smooth easier to ride at faster pace than KS14S.  I really appreciate the braking on this unit, much better than KS14S.  :thumbup:

I was riding mine last evening too. Was reflecting on how fast this wheel accelerates and brakes.

Why didn't to run it up to 25-mph (at least for a tiny bit) :confused1:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

Too scared...  :facepalm:  I can't risk an injury right now, my mother has been getting treatment for her cancer for last year.  I've been using all of my vacation time for her treatment and follow ups (prognosis is good).  One of these days I would love to drive down to LA and join you guys on the group rides.  People may think I'm going into a debt by buying all these EUC's but this is the product of 24 yrs of having two careers.  No, I don't believe in borrowing money to pay for toys even a car.  If I don't have a cash for it, I can't afford it... :whistling:

Understand. It's still a very fun wheel even up to ~15-mph. The rapid response is nice, and very agile. Glad you're enjoying it :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Took MCM5 to work today, peoples reaction was interesting, very positive on its looks.  One guy even said it's "Gorgeous" WHAAAT :blink1:  never heard anyone call a Gotway gorgeous before...  You gents waiting for this wheel will be very happy I think... ;)

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Took MCM5 to work today, peoples reaction was interesting, very positive on its looks.  One guy even said it's "Gorgeous" whaaat :blink1:  never heard any one call a Gotway gorgeous before...  You gents waiting for this wheel will be very happy I think... :clap3:

COOOOL.... yes... "Gorgeous"?.... may want to keep a little distance:efefa07c43: hahaha... 2 more weeks... Cant wait!:D 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2018 at 10:47 PM, Marty Backe said:

Since the shell has no pads and it tapers to the top, there is almost no leg support on this wheel. Therefore it would be very difficult to control by newer riders.

But if you are an experienced rider than you should adapt quickly to the MCM5. The payoff is worth it - extreme agility along the lines of the Mten3 but much more stable when riding fast.

You can buy pads that Gotway actually makes for this wheel, but in my opinion if you add pads then you are eliminating one of the advantages of the wheel. My opinion of course.

If a beginner wanted to use this wheel for learning could pads be added temporarily to provide stability by sacrificing some of the maneuverability? Was thinking about getting the 14s but this would seem to have more longterm viability when I want more past the beginner stage. And also allow me to go faster in group rides in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JD Scott said:

If a beginner wanted to use this wheel for learning could pads be added temporarily to provide stability by sacrificing some of the maneuverability? Was thinking about getting the 14s but this would seem to have more longterm viability when I want more past the beginner stage. And also allow me to go faster in group rides in the future. 

@JD Scott I have a 14D as my 1st wheel... I like it and mostly use it to walk my dog these days and use my 16s mostly. In hindsight, I love the D but knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the S (more range and lower voltage throttle back)... I will have my MCM5 shortly, but here are the things you need to know to make a decision.... The KS has a top speed just under 20... it throttles back as the battery voltage reduces... those are the 2 negatives for me... KS has a much better reputation for quality and safety to this point... this is getting better for Gotway. 

Here is where I think U may want to do a little checking before you pull the trigger... If you can find someone with either a tesla or a 16S, see if you can test ride 1 of those... then really think about what kind of riding you are going to be doing... if longer distance and more on road riding is more your deal (like mine), a 16 may be better in the long run... just a note, the pricing at EWheels for the MCM5 and the 16S are exactly the same right now... it is hard to explain but if you look for a video I watched the other day of a guy in his kitchen getting crazy on his Mten3, also @Marty Backe on his, that is the fun of a smaller wheel, but range becomes the issue as well as top speed if thats your liking also (this is the great thing of the MCM5 30mph)...

HONESTLY, the real resolution which I have done as well as a few others is to just buy 1 of every size, then add additional ones as you fine tune what you really like... LOL... I have little doubt that when the Tesla gets back in stock in a few weeks, I am probably going to buy one also, and I love my 16S... Then I am going to Rehab Immediately...:efee47c9c8:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The mten3 is like riding a log roll along the streets. Its thrilling, but the 10” tyre is very squirelly at those high speeds and not recomended. The mten3 is not really an extremely agile vehicle. You have to be extremely agile to ride it, but its agility is shunted by the ability to really control where you are going at higher speeds or lower speeds for that matter. The mten is a fantastic trick vehicle at slow to medium slow speeds. Its size makes it portable, but without a handle it is hard to carry into stores, and with the handle it is a bit unruly due to the small trye. It is essentially a heavier, bulkier, faster i5 with lights.

I have used my mten all of a dozen times. It is not really very useful, but it is fun. There is no One perfect vehicle, so I agree, go with something that excites you and look forward to other vehicles as they continue to get better and better.

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

The mten3 is like riding a log roll along the streets. Its thrilling, but the 10” tyre is very squirelly at those high speeds and not recomended.

I have used my mten all of a dozen times. It is not really very useful, but it is fun. There is no One perfect vehicle, so I agree, go with something that excites you and look forward to other vehicles as they continue to get better and better.

I was tempted to get a mten3 just as a toy but I am challenging myself to try to ride the 14D like it is one... I also saw a video of Chooch on his 16S throwing it around like it was a smaller wheel... Motivation to practice more...:)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I was tempted to get a mten3 just as a toy but I am challenging myself to try to ride the 14D like it is one... I also saw a video of Chooch on his 16S throwing it around like it was a smaller wheel... Motivation to practice more...:)

A talented rider can do just about everything an Mten3 can do. However, it's a hell of a lot more work to do so. It almost feels like the Mten3 can read your mind, it's so easy for the tight forward and backward spins, reversals, etc. Except for @Stan Onymous, most people are thrilled with the fun of the Mten3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JD Scott said:

Gotway actually sells pads made for the Mten3. Sometimes I'm hesitant to say any particular wheel is difficult to learn on because I've seen some people learn on wheels that I'd never recommend for first time riders.

Maybe I need avoid recommending against any particular wheel because at the end of the day, any wheel is ride-able and every wheel is fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey Marty, James who was in the Video with duf last week just texted me and we are meeting tomorrow morning for a ride.... He saw my post and said he was bringing his mten3 for me to try... I BEGGED him not to...:facepalm:... LOL

Once again Marty is totally wrong about my viewpoints. He is such an engineer and has little in the way of communication skills. 

I said it is remarkably fun to ride, it is just not useful as a vehicle. It is a jugglers toy and little more, but that is where it shines.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Hey Marty, James who was in the Video with duf last week just texted me and we are meeting tomorrow morning for a ride.... He saw my post and said he was bringing his mten3 for me to try... I BEGGED him not to...:facepalm:... LOL

Fantastic. I didn't know that he had one. I assume he thinks it's a great wheel to have.

Now keep in mind, it can take an hour or more to get in tune with the wheel. At first it will feel uncontrollable and maybe not so much fun. See @Duf's video where he starts not liking it so much but then ends loving it.

Hope you join the Mten3 club :D

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3