My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

14S: 67.2V * 10A * 4 (parallel battery configuration) = 2688W. The motor is 800W nominal, which would be around 1600-2000W max (probably closer to 1600 than 2000).

MCM5: 84V * 10A * 4 = 3360W. The motor is 1500W(?) so 3000+W max.

So the batteries don't constrain the wheel's power, which means the motors decide, 1500W vs 800W. The theory supports the 2x zippyness expectations:eff00eab1e: Looks like this thing is a hidden gem.

• Like 3

You could do it!

Build a test stand like the electro-sport Germans or Ecodrift Russians, and measure the torque at different speeds/speed changes and simulated weights. Should be very close to the perceived oomph.

Of course, that's what the manufacturers should be doing (or at least roughly predicting from theoretical models), but who are we kidding:efef2e0fff::eff02518bb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

14S: 67.2V * 10A * 4 (parallel battery configuration) = 2688W. The motor is 800W nominal, which would be around 1600-2000W max (probably closer to 1600 than 2000).

MCM5: 84V * 10A * 4 = 3360W. The motor is 1500W(?) so 3000+W max.

So the batteries don't constrain the wheel's power, which means the motors decide, 1500W vs 800W. The theory supports the 2x zippyness expectations:eff00eab1e: Looks like this thing is a hidden gem.

It's maybe harder to judge on flat ground, but when climbing steep hills there's no doubt that the MCM5 is a different class of wheel than the KS14S.

Just now, Marcglider said:

Hey Marty, my new RAV4 comes standard with LDA (lane departure assist)... maybe you can arrange for the Japanese to meet with the Chinese engineers at Gotway and have it incorporated in the new wheels...LOL  ?

What I need is "Rut Avoidance" not lane assist :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A demonstration on why I don't care about scratching up my wheels - they're meant to be used :w00t2:

Just curious: Do you think you could drill a hole in the fake vents front and back and have it actually work like air vents? Do you think it could keep the board cool? I don't know the anatomy of the wheel, or the wisdom of drilling holes in it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Note to self - never lend Marty one of my wheels.

Side note - I wonder whether learning to hop over small spans, up sidewalks, over small bumps, etc might be the next learning adventure to record and create a learning process video series about.  Content, Marty, content.  :popcorn:

I do need to work on my jumps now. Unfortunately the MCM5 is not a jumpers wheel with those slick curving sides. And it's kind of hard to jump on an inclined dirt trail anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Just curious: Do you think you could drill a hole in the fake vents front and back and have it actually work like air vents? Do you think it could keep the board cool? I don't know the anatomy of the wheel, or the wisdom of drilling holes in it.

You probably could, but I rode this up Overheat-Hill and it barely got warm by the time I got to the top. This wheel is not going to have any issues that will need air flow to fix :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Board is on top, so you'd just blow air at the battery there. Not sure how much (if any) air would even get to the board.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What I need is "Rut Avoidance" not lane assist :D

It's called "Having eyes and actually looking and having luck":efeebb3acc:

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Note to self - never lend Marty one of my wheels.

Have we seen the same video? That was the most inconsequential of inconsequential "falls" in EUC history- wheel gently stopped and almost floated into a horizontal position.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great recovery and scanning the road ahead for obstacles! ?

42134932454_c0fdfacace_b.jpg

Glad I just ordered this new wheel... I wasn't aware of the automatic "MIRAGE" feature... looking foward to a few crashes myself... LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

Glad I just ordered this new wheel... I wasn't aware of the automatic "MIRAGE" feature... looking foward to a few crashes myself... LOL

Did you really???

55 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

YEP... 3 weeks and I can crash behind the HOTTIE... and more frequently per ride with the 800 battery...? haha

:cheers:

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Marty Backe Cool, some places look quite steep (especially as it looks less steep on camera than it is in reality)! Are these new routes the MCM5 opened up? New camera? Just coincidence?

Coincidence. There's literally ~50-miles of trails in this whole area, which I travel regularly. Different videos get different views of the same general territory. Griffith Park doesn't offer any hills that would be a challenge for the MCM5 :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Marty Backe Love the vids of u taking the mcm5 mountain riding. I'm torn between this or an KS18L for my next wheel, although ur vids sway me to the former. The mcm5 was going to mainly be for my wife (yeah right) but she's hesitant to get her own since it's taking her long to learn on mine. Anyway...Keep up the vids mate, always a joy to watch and a pleasure to read ur forum posts. Cheers. 

Edited by Adumb
  • Like 1