My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Thanks to the usual suspects here (you all know who you are 😁) I have an mcm5 getting delivered today 👏👏👏

Like @Yunicyle, I also commute daily on a 16s. I wanted something that was playful, but could still commute if I need to repair the 16s. I also wanted to be able to take rides with my dad and the range should be similar. 

@Marty Backe, anything I should look out for with initial setup besides slime? Did you get your 800wh battery?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic. I hope you love the wheel as much as I do. It probably has more acceleration that any other wheel in existence and is extremely agile. As I recently discovered, riding in soft-mode is very nice. Be sure to give that pedal mode a try. Is this your first Gotway wheel? You have the necessary app? If you are using Android, be sure to get the WheelLog app (from the Play Store).

Still waiting for my 800wh battery upgrade, but Jason hasn't forgotten about me.

Let me (us) know what you think of the wheel.

This is my first gotway, I downloaded the app from Jason's email that come with the shipping notification.  I will try out all the pedal modes, I like med on the 16s for general riding, hard for practicing backwards and some very poor attempts at one legged riding haha.

I cant imagine not loving this wheel, it was a very hard decision between this and the 18xl. In the end I chose to save the lo g rang wheel for next time and get the dragster now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just joined the club.

Ordered the 800Wh version from Speedyfeet in the UK.

Will (hopefully) become my "throw in the car" wheel. The Z10 just breaks my back, and the GT16 has some vibration issues I don't like when taking obstacles, and that is really something you can do without when driving in a busy urban environment.

That's 2 new wheels in 2 weeks :lol:

If only it would stop pouring down here ... It's been raining constantly for over a week and we're not seeing the end of it ...

IMG_15B66C76F9E0-1.thumb.jpeg.d81c6eded0861118be46d8543ab3ab0b.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Just joined the club.

Ordered the 800Wh version from Speedyfeet in the UK.

Will (hopefully) become my "throw in the car" wheel. The Z10 just breaks my back, and the GT16 has some vibration issues I don't like when taking obstacles, and that is really something you can do without when driving in a busy urban environment.

That's 2 new wheels in 2 weeks :lol:

If only it would stop pouring down here ... It's been raining constantly for over a week and we're not seeing the end of it ...

Fantastic. The MCM5 certainly is not a wheel for breaking backs. Hope you love it.

• Like 1

@Marty Backe & @ir_fuel, I would love to make way for an MCM5, trouble is, my partner will go mad at me, my current wheels are the Mten3, V10F & 100V MSX. 😕

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ED209 said:

@Marty Backe & @ir_fuel, I would love to make way for an MCM5, trouble is, my partner will go mad at me, my current wheels are the Mten3, V10F & 100V MSX. 😕

That's not too bad.

Currently here:

Z10

GT16

V5F

Mten3

Generic 14" banger

MCM5 on its way 

My partner doesn't know, and I think she gave up trying to understand, when yet another big box arrives :lol: 

I'll probably sell the GT16, and the V5F is the replacement for the generic 14" for my daughter (still sitting in a box, she doesn't know it yet :) We'll do some more riding first and I'm buying her a full face helmet before handing out the new "toy").

But all things considered, Mten3 + V10F + 100V MSX, I don't know what you could add to complement that, unless you have a very specific situation such as commuting and needing to carry it a lot. Then a 14" could make sense. If not you've got all you need :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Hello there!

IMG_4025.thumb.JPG.1c8204dc55f4c673157496744c582ae0.JPG

First impressions:

It looks really nice! This is not the old boxy Gotway I used to know. Fit and finish isn't as on some other wheels I have but it's more than enough. The "kill switch" to lift the wheel is better than the one on the Z10 tbh.

Weight is ok for me to load and unload. This will be a lot easier than the Z10.

Only issue was that the round GW logo stickers were all curled up on the sides (maybe cold during transportation?). Hopefully they stay on now.

Congrat's. Yeah, I think the MCM5 has the best lift kill-switch of any wheel.

Unfortunately, the GW "ankle stickers" will always be wanting to come off. Hasn't bothered me in practice but if it ever does I'll apply some better double-sided tape.

1 minute ago, Vanzen said:

I had a 650wh that I sold, then realised that the MCM5 is the best city (Paris) wheel ever ! Those accelerations and especially those breakings that make you feel so secure !  So I missed my MCM5 and just ordered a new 800wh one from Aliexpress !

I have 3 wheels 

10' Mten3 to for short trips and errands

14' MCM5 for the city

19' MSX for longs trip in the countryside around Paris

I think all my needs are covered this way ...

That's a perfect lineup of wheels :thumbup:

BTW, don't you also use the Mten3 for just plain FUN? :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

That's a perfect lineup of wheels :thumbup:

BTW, don't you also use the Mten3 for just plain FUN? :D

Well, I bought a MTEN3 to take with me on the train to the south of France (Cannes) to visit my mum, thats the perfect wheel to carry everywhere.

And yes I also use it for fun to make some small errands in the center of Paris in the midst of the pedestrians and tourists :) 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:01 PM, Vanzen said:

I had a 650wh that I sold, then realised that the MCM5 is the best city (Paris) wheel ever ! Those accelerations and especially those breakings that make you feel so secure !  So I missed my MCM5 and just ordered a new 800wh one from Aliexpress !

I will have 3 wheels 

10' Mten3 to for short trips and errands

14' MCM5 for the city

19' MSX for longs trip in the countryside around Paris

I think all my needs are covered this way ...

Same here but Z10 replacing that MSX :)

On 3/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Vanzen said:

Well, I bought a MTEN3 to take with me on the train to the south of France (Cannes) to visit my mum, thats the perfect wheel to carry everywhere.

The big advantage of that wheel is that it fits in a backpack (if no trolley attached). Makes it easy to carry around and you don't get any (negative) attention while you do.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Same here but Z10 replacing that MSX :)

The big advantage of that wheel is that it fits in a backpack (if no trolley attached). Makes it easy to carry around and you don't get any (negative) attention while you do.

Lol ! 

I sold the Z10 to take a MSX ... And I dont regret it .

Edited by Vanzen

On 3/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, Marty Backe said:

Unfortunately, the GW "ankle stickers" will always be wanting to come off. Hasn't bothered me in practice but if it ever does I'll apply some better double-sided tape.

I ripped off those metal GW logos the second day I had the wheel and replaced them with black pads. 

42024850774_73f77d83eb_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

@Rehab1 likes to desecrate wheels by adding padding where none belongs :ph34r:

You know me too well. :) At least my GW logo isn’t lying on it’s side.:laughbounce2: 

46658608434_e1d486b26a_b.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I'd rather have those pads than stickers that constantly peel off.

I'm not talking about the "ankle" stickers, but the Pads added where no pads belong :)