Jump to content
Marty Backe

My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Spend the $190 like I did and it will arrive much sooner.  

No sympathy here :efeed51798:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey @Marty Backe Start a "GO FUND ME" page for early delivery... I will put in $5 if you do... LOL... I read your neighbor Kardashian or Jenner, one of the useless woman that consume my internet news feed had a fund started so she could become a "BILLIONAIRE"

Certainly you could raise 200 bucks to help... :laughbounce2:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

hey @Marty Backe Start a "GO FUND ME" page for early delivery... I will put in $5 if you do... LOL... I read your neighbor Kardashian or Jenner, one of the useless woman that consume my internet news feed had a fund started so she could become a "BILLIONAIRE"

Certainly you could raise 200 bucks to help... :laughbounce2:

I tried "GO FUND YOURSELF" (.com) but got redirected to findandfundmycar.com :(

 

Edited by RayRay
Damn Cybersquatters!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Spend the $190 like I did and it will arrive much sooner.  

Worth every penny! And calculating what an extra hour of earlier fun would cost, 190 💵 is almost nothing. Would pay it any day. 🤣 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side question on the MCM5 800Wh and the ewheels rapid charger.  Is anyone having issues with that Charger and the 80% setting with this wheel?  For example it reading 79v when the wheel is really at 76v? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

So I kept my word and made these short clips for you tonight at Osaka Castle Park. Did you see them already?

 

Very nice - thanks. Looks like a very pleasant and peaceful place to ride at night. And I like how joyful you look while riding :cheers:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

Just completed another 17 [night] mile city ride on the MCM5, this little wheel is wonderful.  So agile, so functional, correctly sized for the city.  It's great for roads and sidewalks and isn't a problem around people, bikes or scooters.  I suspect it's the real best of 2018 crop winner.

Big thank you @Marty Backe for trail blazing this one.

You're welcome :D To think EWheels wasn't big into carrying this wheel to begin with :confused1:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm glad that you finally came to the realization that it's not worth putting any mental energy (ha ha) into babying the batteries so they last forever, however long that is.

Just use the wheels and have fun. They'll last longer than you have the wheels.

Just to show the calculations we came up with.... If I rode the wheel EVERY DAY, and Fully charged it (365 charge cycles), it would be just over 1 1/2 years before it would start to degrade noticeably ...

BEFORE some IT Rocket Scientist that works for NASA chimes in to "microdisect" this calculation, I am not claiming it's complete accuracy and personally don't give a shit if it is off by a day, month, or even 6 months... Like Marty said, just ride the wheels and have fun!!! :cheers: 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Just to show the calculations we came up with.... If I rode the wheel EVERY DAY, and Fully charged it (365 charge cycles), it would be just over 1 1/2 years before it would start to degrade noticeably ...

BEFORE some IT Rocket Scientist that works for NASA chimes in to "microdisect" this calculation, I am not claiming it's complete accuracy and personally don't give a shit if it is off by a day, month, or even 6 months... Like Marty said, just ride the wheels and have fun!!! :cheers: 

I think you are looking at it wrong...

As I understand it, it's not just the # of cycles on the battery, but the length of time that it stays stored at full voltage that causes the breakdown of chemistry within the battery (reducing capacity).   That is to say being stored at 100% for a week is more damaging to a battery than being cycled a dozen times.    

So partial charge is more valuable if you do not ride every day because you aren't strong the battery at 100%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marcglider said:

Just to show the calculations we came up with.... If I rode the wheel EVERY DAY, and Fully charged it (365 charge cycles), it would be just over 1 1/2 years before it would start to degrade noticeably ...

Plus some more time. By riding with an EUC the batteries never are fully discharged (even 0% shown by the app is not fully discharged). So you would not have full charge cycles every day.

11 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I think you are looking at it wrong...

As I understand it, it's not just the # of cycles on the battery, but the length of time that it stays stored at full voltage that causes the breakdown of chemistry within the battery (reducing capacity).   That is to say being stored at 100% for a week is more damaging to a battery than being cycled a dozen times.    

Not necessarily: (from https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries)

Temperature

Lead acid

at full charge

Nickel-based

at any charge

Lithium-ion (Li-cobalt)

40% charge

100% charge

0°C

25°C

40°C

60°C

97%

90%

62%

38%
(after 6 months)

99%

97%

95%

70%

98%

96%

85%

75%

94%

80%

65%

60%
(after 3 months)

Table 2: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing a battery for one year. Elevated temperature hastens permanent capacity loss. Depending on battery type, lithium-ion is also sensitive to charge levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think you chart just proved my point.  If we look at 25-40c (77-104F) range, then you can see you are giving up 16-20% of your maximum battery capacity...  

So if you bought a 1000Wh battery (40 miles), and charged it to 100% every time you used it (frequently or infrequently), after 1 year of time you'd have roughly an 650-800Wh battery (25-30 miles) remaining.  Where as if you partially charge it, after a year it would  you have a 850-960 Wh battery (30-40 miles).

And after 2 years ownership, it's even worse.

Here in Texas where 100F is the norm 6 months of the year, that's kind of a big deal.

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

I think you chart just proved my point.  If we look at 25-40c (77-104F) range, then you can see you are giving up 16-20% of your maximum battery capacity...  

So if you bought a 1000Wh battery (40 miles), and charged it to 100% every time you used it (frequently or infrequently), after 1 year of time you'd have roughly an 650-800Wh battery (25-30 miles) remaining.  Where as if you partially charge it, after a year it would  you have a 850-960 Wh battery (30-40 miles).

And after 2 years ownership, it's even worse.

Here in Texas where 100F is the norm 6 months of the year, that's kind of a big deal.

I don’t know if this is relevant for EUCs, but my MavicPro drone has intelligent batteries and they automatically discharge to 80% if you leave them unused and fully charged for more than a day to prevent battery swelling and to enlarge their live span. So partially charging doesn’t seem such a bad idea after all. 😉 

 

But then again, this hobby is not about pampering batteries but about riding eHorses, is it nodd! 

Or to give you another example: preach someone who drives a Porsche or Ferrari how to best save brake pads! He will stare at you in disbelief, where you expected gratitude. So: You are right and you are wrong at the same time! Isn’t that a paradox?

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I don’t know if this is relevant for EUCs, but my MavicPro drone has intelligent batteries and they automatically discharge to 80% if you leave them unused and fully charged for more than a day to prevent battery swelling and to enlarge their live span. So partially charging doesn’t seem such a bad idea after all. 😉 

 

But then again, this hobby is not about pampering batteries but about riding eHorses, is it nodd! 

Or to give you another example: preach someone who drives a Porsche or Ferrari how to best save brake pads! He will stare at you in disbelief, where you expected gratitude. So: You are right and you are wrong at the same time! Isn’t that a paradox?

The Intelligent batteries are excellent for both safety and lifespan/performance, but haven't made their way to EUC's sadly.  The condition with puffing the battery is when oxigen is created in the battery as a byproduct of rapid discharge or rapid charge in excess of the C capacity, heat, too low voltage, too high voltage, etc.   It becomes dangerous because if the cells puncture and are exposed to water or water vapor with that oxygen in them, then you can get thermal runaway and a fire.  

We haven't hit upon that here (safety wasn't one of the discussion points as of yet).

With respect to the break pads, I think it's closer to a discussion about the quality of the fuel you put in the tank than break pads.  Talk to those guys about persevering their engines and getting the most power from those engines day in and day out, and it is a very different discussion than break pads which are inexpensive (comparatively) and easier to replace than valves etc.  :)

Nothing wrong with a full charge, the only down side is leaving it fully charged for a week at a time.
 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

With respect to the break pads, I think it's closer to a discussion about the quality of the fuel you put in the tank than break pads.  Talk to those guys about persevering their engines and getting the most power from those engines day in and day out, and it is a very different discussion than break pads which are inexpensive (comparatively) and easier to replace than valves etc.  :)

Nothing wrong with a full charge, the only down side is leaving it fully charged for a week at a time.
 

Point taken! Especially those of us (especially Marty!) who own many more than one wheel☝️should take your infos and comments seriously, since one or the other machine may stand around with full batteries for a few weeks, without being used. I definitely will think about your information. 🤔 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marcglider said:

And that blue shell is just COOL...

Blue?

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Um, photos? :popcorn:  Video?

I also want to see this beast! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marcglider said:

I love my MCM5... just went for a 10 mile ride on my new ACM.... WOW!!!  Now I know why mostly everyone loves this wheel... it is awesome, smooth, first impression  AA++ :thumbup:

And that blue shell is just COOL...

So glad you like your new girl... I think ACM2 is the sleeper of 2018.  Now that I have more wheels to compare ACM2 really stands out... :whistling:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Okay you multi-wheeled Marco’s!  Group photo time with the collection!  Marty did it already.  Time for the wheel family photo!  :popcorn:  Bring on the wicked wheel porn!  :dribble:  Hmm note to self:  “family photo” and “wicked wheel porn” should not be juxtaposed so closely together.  :whistling:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okay you multi-wheeled Marco’s!  Group photo time with the collection!  Marty did it already.  Time for the wheel family photo!  :popcorn:  Bring on the wicked wheel porn!  :dribble:  Hmm note to self:  “family photo” and “wicked wheel porn” should not be juxtaposed so closely together.  :whistling:

I'm not telling what I have anymore as you can tell from me taking the list of what I have from my signature.  I think you have the right idea anonymous is good when it comes to these wheels.  One thing that I can say about these wheels is that they are good enough, I will be very happy for a long time with its performances.  They are all great wheels to ride... :D

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×