My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Slime's new labeling

slime 5

Is there a particular take-away you're highlighting?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:lol:  Read the fine print!  You're becoming like a household name!

Oh God. :laughbounce2:

@Rehab1 is always doing this too me. So often I miss the subtle modification that he'll do to an image :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Paolini said:

Never used Slime.  I understand it has a 2 year or so life span, and it's not clear to me I go through tires that fast.  :)

Well, you may change your mind when you get your first flat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Never used Slime.  I understand it has a 2 year or so life span, and it's not clear to me I go through tires that fast.  :)

They make none laytex versions.  I've been using Ride-On brand good for the life of the tire. @mrelwood been using Goop, same none laytex.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

They make none laytex versions.  I've been using Ride-On brand good for the life of the tire. @mrelwood been using Goop, same none laytex.

Maybe I should try this Ride-On version. Can you tell me exactly which one you use and how much do you put in the tires? Do you have direct evidence that it's worked with a wheel of yours?

49 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe I should try this Ride-On version. Can you tell me exactly which one you use and how much do you put in the tires? Do you have direct evidence that it's worked with a wheel of yours?

Ride-On Tire Sealant for ATVs and UTVs - 7132 (32 Ounce Bottle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX8BTE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bS4xBbA399884

I can say this does not dry out, over 5 yrs.  I use as much as you recommend. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Ride-On Tire Sealant for ATVs and UTVs - 7132 (32 Ounce Bottle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX8BTE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bS4xBbA399884

I can say this does not dry out, over 5 yrs.  I use as much as you recommend. 

Thanks!

I'm just curious if it has fixed an EUC flat yet. I know Slime fixes my flats. Before I put this in my EUC tire I would want some confirmation that it has worked for an EUC tire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks!

I'm just curious if it has fixed an EUC flat yet. I know Slime fixes my flats. Before I put this in my EUC tire I would want some confirmation that it has worked for an EUC tire.

I have close to 2k miles from all my wheels, no flats that I know of.  This Ride-on is formulated for ATV which run on low psi typically around 4-6 psi on my ATV.  I use what is on hand.  Motorcycle formula ( Ride-on) may be more appropriate since it runs closer to EUC pressures, no experience with it though.

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Just find a strong secretary to do the heavy lifting.   :thumbup:    

Sorry-youre-feeling-bad

Actually considered something like that ?.

I teach at a military academy.  Lots of "volunteers" available, lol.  Especially if I were to let them try riding it after they lugged ut upstairs for me!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thai-lad said:

Actually considered something like that ?.I teach at a military academy.  Lots of "volunteers" available, lol.  Especially if I were to let them try riding it after they lugged ut upstairs for me!

You’ve got it made! Bribe your students to carry your wheel and they get an ‘A’:cheers:

34 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You’ve got it made! Bribe your students to carry your wheel and they get an ‘A’:cheers:

Heh heh seriously they would volunteer to carry it for me, it's part of the tradition here.  But I can't count on there being someone about when I need them, and I expect volunteers would start to get more difficult to find after the first few times of lugging 17kilos up 2 flights of stairs.

10 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Since MCM5 is too heavy for you, take a look at Mten3 512 wh (22lb) from Gotway.  Mten3 is a special fun wheel.  Read about it on this forum.  If you have any questions about Mten3 ask on Mten3 thread... :cheers: 

Yep, it's definitely the alternative I'm looking at.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Use your imagination. ?

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love already pointed me to your picture mischief. As usual, too subtle for me to pick up the first time around :lol:

8 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

I love my mTen3!   Marty has a number of videos, and I've started to create some as well here: 

Interesting how the KS got bogged down in the grass and the MTen didn't.  

@Marty Backe have you attempted /perfected 360 reverse turns on the MCM5 yet? Being the wheel has such an abundance of power and torque I have not been able to subdue the speed consistently throughout this maneuver.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe have you attempted /perfected 360 reverse turns on the MCM5 yet? Being the wheel has such an abundance of power and torque I have not been able to subdue the speed consistently throughout this maneuver.

No, I haven't been working on that. I leave that to the Mten3 and now Z10.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:05 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's always gotta be a compromise somewhere I suppose.  I wonder if they ever will devise an external battery supply port so people can bring along secure battery packs in backpacks for extended range.  That would be another game changer for some people, and it would offer flexibility.  It could take that light weight MCM5 and make it a 60 mile wheel if needed

Funny you should mention that.  I have noticed that if I turn my 16s on when it is charging, it wont balance.  But if it's already on and I connect the charger, it continues to balance.  That got me thinking that maybe an external battery pack could be connected to the port, after the wheel was switched on, and proceed to charge the batteries even as the wheel was using up the power.  It wouldn't give you extra power for voltage sags ( I guess), but it would replace the electricity one used while riding, while riding.  So if I took the 340Wh pack from my 14c, connected the right plug, I might have a created an instant 1,180Wh 16s.  Something handy for the back pack on a long trip, at least.

Food for thought.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Funny you should mention that.  I have noticed that if I turn my 16s on when it is charging, it wont balance.  But if it's already on and I connect the charger, it continues to balance.  That got me thinking that maybe an external battery pack could be connected to the port, after the wheel was switched on, and proceed to charge the batteries even as the wheel was using up the power.  It wouldn't give you extra power for voltage sags ( I guess), but it would replace the electricity one used while riding, while riding.  So if I took the 340Wh pack from my 14c, connected the right plug, I might have a created an instant 1,180Wh 16s.  Something handy for the back pack on a long trip, at least.

Food for thought.

I can see how that might charge the EUC battery slowly as the high drain EUC battery powers motor, but don't think it's wired to BYPASS the battery while using the charging port. It's wired like an Uninterruptable Power Supply for your computer. 

Edited by maltocs