My MCM5 Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

My my, Mr. Backe.  I never knew you were a fellow speed demon.  :whistling:

Nice first impression review.  We need some of that good good MB video footage!  :w00t2:

For high speed curves I bend the inner knee and lift my heel while leaning pressure on the shell with the outside leg while crouching down a little and body leaning it.  Kinda like how motorcyclists do.  Works pretty well. 

Too bad they couldn't cram some more watt hours into the case. 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

There's always gotta be a compromise somewhere I suppose.  I wonder if they ever will devise an external battery supply port so people can bring along secure battery packs in backpacks for extended range.  That would be another game changer for some people, and it would offer flexibility.  It could take that light weight MCM5 and make it a 60 mile wheel if needed. 

Maybe some sort of quick connect with a safety disengage system in case of a fall.  Velcro thigh strap to keep the wire tangle free.  It must be electronically possible somehow with some of voltage matching circuit?  @esaj queue the electronics theory talk! 

BTW it's time to update your signature once more! 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

Doesn't look safe on high speed because the legs cannot support the shell. It could be the ultimate classroom to classroom transportation though. I cannot see it on sale anywhere. How much is it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kens said:

Doesn't look safe on high speed because the legs cannot support the shell. It could be the ultimate classroom to classroom transportation though. I cannot see it on sale anywhere. How much is it?

I think it's safe, but it's not a beginner wheel. Check EWheels (e-mail or call them). @Jason McNeil may still have some although he isn't listing them yet on his website. That's where I bought mine.

I think the price is ~$1100

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm just trying to influence the future generations of these wheels where we will see standard USB charging and communication ports, 12V car boosting port (EUCs are basically portable battery packs on wheels), and a universal external power input port.

yes! Yes! YES!

Make it have 3 charging port!

1st port is for fast charging.

2nd port is USB type C with power delivery as the secondary charging port so the wheel can be added a bit of range everywhere. That port can also do reverse charging for powering electronics like bike lights, phones and laptops.

3rd port is 12v outlet for car jump starter & other high discharge purposes...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is not a beginner wheel. This is a high performance advanced user wheel.

Excellent feedback Marty, How does it feel to do pendulums on this wheel? Does it have soo much torque from low down? I have seen am Mten3 but sadly have never ridden one. I know it is too early to say but the MCM5 and the Mten3 are similarly priced, what would be your choice?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

Excellent feedback Marty, How does it feel to do pendulums on this wheel? Does it have soo much torque from low down? I have seen am Mten3 but sadly have never ridden one. I know it is too early to say but the MCM5 and the Mten3 are similarly priced, what would be your choice?

Me? I would still pick the Mten3 because of the fun factor. But the MCM5 is clearly a very fast and longer range wheel, has the built-in trolley handle, cutoff switch in the handle, etc. So the MCM5 is a more practical wheel but the Mten3 is a more fun wheel (the kind of fun that I've tried to show in all of my Mten3 videos).

• Like 2

Wow, 14inch is what I developed my riding skills on. I was always worried about the size of the Mten3, I am quite tall, but having seen someone ride by as I was driving I noticed that the shell/body is larger than I expected, chunky too! I was amazed. Having experienced 22 inch wheels down to 14 , I need to experience the 10 inch wheel. I remember you saying with the Mten3, the mind thinks and the Mten3 does.

Edited by Edddeus
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Edddeus said:

Wow, 14inch is what I developed my riding skills on. I was always worried about the size of the Mten3, I am quite tall, but having seen someone ride by as I was driving I noticed that the shell/body is larger than I expected, chunky too I was amazed. Having experienced 22 inch wheels down to 14 , I need to experience the 10 inch wheel. I remember you saying with the Mten3, the mind thinks and the Mten3 does.

+1 on that statement.  I've got 430 miles on mine so far and 200 of it on the new tire Marty put on his... I think @Duf said it the best on one of his video.  If you ride an EUC you owe it to yourself to get one of these to experience it... I love mine... :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What gives it the amazing ride characteristics? The shell. This shell has zero padding and it curves up and away from your legs. You can't touch the shell with your legs except when in a turn. So your feet are on the pedals (Monster, ACM, and Tesla pedals) with zero support from your legs. The sensation is kind of like riding a ball vs a wheel.

Just like the ACM! Nice!

I meant controlling the wheel just via the pedals, essentially not touching the sides. Which is a lot like the ACM rides (you just touch the side pads because it's so wide, but I've recently learned I'm not using side pressure to control it at all, even in all but the tightest turns - all via pedals and upper body turning).

• Like 2

@Marty Backe man.... reading and watching your vid. just brought sweet memories of MCM3 I had, it was a sweet little machine and fast (it cut out on me at 32 km/h). Looks like this adds so, so much more and with that trolley and temp. eng. off when lifted it just might be one of the best portable machines. 

Im so so pumped about it, WOW....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think it's safe, but it's not a beginner wheel. Check EWheels (e-mail or call them). @Jason McNeil may still have some although he isn't listing them yet on his website. That's where I bought mine.

I think the price is ~$1100

EUC.NYC has them in stock, but he wants 1300. :blink:.

Edited by yourtoys7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

EUC.NYC has them in stock, but he wants 1300. :blink:.

That's pricey. I'm pretty sure EWheels will sell them cheaper, but you'll have to wait. Like anything in life, you'll pay a premium if you can't wait.

5 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Very interesting. Hard to believe that the pads are Gotway originals - why wouldn't Gotway sell the wheel with them if that's what they intended.

So far I like the wheel without the pads because of the increased agility. But I keep this link handy in case I change my mind. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's pricey. I'm pretty sure EWheels will sell them cheaper, but you'll have to wait. Like anything in life, you'll pay a premium if you can't wait.

I wonder what green fashion gonna sell them at... I purchased my mcm 3 w. 340wh. for 499.,  and now  it’s more than double, but it’s a hella of a machine, 

• Like 1