I had an accident

Thanks for input guys!
There is always more things to learn! All the traffic rules, running kids and dogs and flying balls and opening car doors, I'm aware of those. I'm aware of rules and legislations and all protection gear. I'm aware of the static training and potential damage you could get by standing on your wheel to much and I'm aware of bumps and rocks on the road and stipud pedestrians/bicycles etc etc...

I was also aware of the beeping, that it was warning you that you're quite fast now, but I did NOT know about the cut off. I heard about the cut off and I thought it will happen if I'm on low battery going at full speed with one single pin left.

But I have a resting week now from the wheel and will get back on it when my scratches are cured again. I will probably turn on my tilt back again and always user knee pads as well. I did not use knee pads when the accident happened, but nothing happened with my knees this time anyways, but just for the future. The arms took all the damage this time (and my pants).

25 minutes ago, Yffisch said:

I will probably turn on my tilt back again and always user knee pads as well.

Gotway tiltback is quite sudden and may throw you off if it comes unexpectedly. I'd keep it off, just don't ignore the beeps again and you're good.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Gotway tiltback is quite sudden and may throw you off if it comes unexpectedly. I'd keep it off, just don't ignore the beeps again and you're good.

Or try the tilt-back at a much lower speed to get to know it. That way you won't be going full bore when shocked by the sudden change.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Good to know. Do others concur? Since I ride a 9B1 E+, I experience tilt-back all the time such that I am comfortable with managing it.. The term "sudden", however, has me worried. Is it "sudden" because it seems to come out of nowhere (but is manageable), or is it "sudden" because of the non gradual, extreme nature of the tilt-back? I am deciding on my next wheel and three Gotways must be considered because of their performance and bang for the buck. Beeping does not work for me. I have never heard beeping but once on the 9B1 E+ and that was a low battery warning going up a incline at 4 mph. I have never heard it before or during tilt-back. Other wheels may have louder beeps, but my deteriorating hearing and always high city back ground noise doesn't make monitoring beeping an desirable option.

What about King Song tilt-back?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Good to know. Do others concur? Since I ride a 9B1 E+, I experience tilt-back all the time such that I am comfortable with managing it.. The term "sudden", however, has me worried. Is it "sudden" because it seems to come out of nowhere (but is manageable), or is it "sudden" because of the non gradual, extreme nature of the tilt-back? I am deciding on my next wheel and three Gotways must be considered because of their performance and bang for the buck. Beeping does not work for me. I have never heard beeping but once on the 9B1 E+ and that was a low battery warning going up a incline at 4 mph. I have never heard it before or during tilt-back. Other wheels may have louder beeps, but my deteriorating hearing and always high city back ground noise doesn't make monitoring beeping an desirable option.

Check out Pebble watch with vibrating function.  @Marty Backe has reviews on it.  Highly recommended. :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerome said:

Actually, never tried it myself:efeec46606: But all I've heard from GW (and KS?) tiltback that it's like committing suicide in fear of death (crashing due to tiltback so you don't crash due to overlean).

From my lift tests, it seems sudden as in extreme, jolts the wheel quite a bit while holding it. But the low battery tilt is nice and gradual, so I don't know.

Guess someone who actually experienced it knows better:eff02518bb:

(edit: just tried it with a cool 3km/h setting on my balcony, and it's... well, it let's you know that you should go slower. Pedals go up in a second. Not sure how comfortable it would be at speed.)

Wheellog can vibrate your phone if you set alarms, maybe that works for you (never tried it).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Actually, never tried it myself:efeec46606: But all I've heard from GW (and KS?) tiltback that it's like committing suicide in fear of death (crashing due to tiltback so you don't crash due to overlean).

From my lift tests, it seems sudden as in extreme, jolts the wheel quite a bit while holding it. But the low battery tilt is nice and gradual, so I don't know.

Guess someone who actually experienced it knows better:eff02518bb:

(edit: just tried it with a cool 3km/h setting on my balcony, and it's... well, it let's you know that you should go slower. Pedals go up in a second. Not sure how comfortable it would be at speed.)

Wheellog can vibrate your phone if you set alarms, maybe that works for you (never tried it).

A second is pretty good, that is not the issue, but rather how it does it. The actual acceleration curve used is kind of crucial, as is what happens directly after the tilt-back.

The ideal tilt-back IMHO is one that to the rider feels mostly like the wheel is catching you. It should NOT be a violent experience likely to make you lose your balance. Mileage may vary, but that is how I think of the Rockwheel tilt-back: you go over the top, then suddenly you're breaking slightly, and it feels almost like you did it yourself. Before you know it you're horisontal again, moving along as if nothing happened.

I think of it as a swing. The acceleration that starts off the tilt-back is quick while you're still leaning forward, and then becomes a lot more gradual until your speed starts to drop. So initially it forces your centre of gravity from the forward position to neutral rather fast, then backwards a bit more but slower. That way the most dramatic part is actually pushing your balance to neutral, while you have just enough time to adjust when it makes you brake without getting a total shock. You regain full control as soon as your misbehavior is no longer a danger.

As I understand it 9B E+ is more linear and violent, but I have no personal experience, just hearsay.

I too would feel rather unsafe relying on beeps only. Long stretches of my commuting is in parallel with the worst kind of traffic. So I have the noises of wind, bikes, cars, lorries, busses and trams, with the occasional fire-truck, ambulance or police car siren to make it even more interesting to hear those bloody beeps... The watch is a good idea in theory, but like with Marty, it sits outside my flexmeters, so not even the vibrations are a sure signal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

A second is pretty good, that is not the issue, but rather how it does it. The actual acceleration curve used is kind of crucial, as is what happens directly after the tilt-back.

The ideal tilt-back IMHO is one that to the rider feels mostly like the wheel is catching you. It should NOT be a violent experience likely to make you lose your balance. Mileage may vary, but that is how I think of the Rockwheel tilt-back: you go over the top, then suddenly you're breaking slightly, and it feels almost like you did it yourself. Before you know it you're horisontal again, moving along as if nothing happened.

I think of it as a swing. The acceleration that starts off the tilt-back is quick while you're still leaning forward, and then becomes a lot more gradual until your speed starts to drop. So initially it forces your centre of gravity from the forward position to neutral rather fast, then backwards a bit more but slower. That way the most dramatic part is actually pushing your balance to neutral, while you have just enough time to adjust when it makes you brake without getting a total shock. You regain full control as soon as your misbehavior is no longer a danger.

As I understand it 9B E+ is more linear and violent, but I have no personal experience, just hearsay.

I too would feel rather unsafe relying on beeps only. Long stretches of my commuting is in parallel with the worst kind of traffic. So I have the noises of wind, bikes, cars, lorries, busses and trams, with the occasional fire-truck, ambulance or police car siren to make it even more interesting to hear those bloody beeps... The watch is a good idea in theory, but like with Marty, it sits outside my flexmeters, so not even the vibrations are a sure signal.

That's exactly how I have mine configured... works great... :cheers:

• Like 1

I used the tiltback my first week, but it was only set at 16kmh or something and I think it was quite smooth when I got used to it, but I prefer having it off since it felt so scary. My beeps are extremely loud so there's no problem of hearing them, even in high traffic.

I did my first ride today since the accident just because I was so curious if the wheel was broken or not after the accident. But after 10 kilometers I could consider that it worked totally as before. Now I will continue the resting week :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Yffisch said:

I used the tiltback my first week, but it was only set at 16kmh or something and I think it was quite smooth when I got used to it, but I prefer having it off since it felt so scary. My beeps are extremely loud so there's no problem of hearing them, even in high traffic.

I did my first ride today since the accident just because I was so curious if the wheel was broken or not after the accident. But after 10 kilometers I could consider that it worked totally as before. Now I will continue the resting week :)

Everyone is different in this respect. I for one had a tilt-back just 20 minutes ago on my way to work. I was in the groove today, so 40kph felt like nothing. My only reaction to the tilt-back was looking at my pebble and thinking "oh shit, seems I've gone blind to the speed..."

My tilt-back is more like someone tapping you on the shoulder, saying "hey man, watch out!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

From an engineering point of view, it’s very simple. At near max speed an electric motor is fast running out of torque. It arrives at a point when it no longer has suffIciest torque to hold you up...then you fall off the front.........it starts beeping to tell you it is about to run out of torque...ignore it at your peril.  Sorry you fell, but it was operator error.