I had an accident

I've been riding my wheel for about 6 weeks now and it has been totally flawless, and could have been.

I have an MCM4 680wh wheel and I like it very much and I'm extremely satisfied. I've turned off all the speed limits with my app. When I exceed the speed limit, it beeps once, then twice, then thrice and then multi beeping. Sometimes for fun when it's safe, I just let it do the multi beeping and continue riding my wheel. Though today, my wheel had around 50% battery left or something and I increased my speed past the 1:st beep, 2:nd beep, 3:rd beep and I was multi beeping. Then suddenly, the gyron on the wheel just released for me and while leaning forward, the wheel just tilted me forwards as if the wheel was turned off. And I was at around 25-30kmh or something. That made me fall off my wheel which gave me a lot of scratches and destroyed my clothes.

Why did this happen? Was my wheel broken or does the wheel actually stop doing the gyro thing when the battery is "low" and you exceed the speed limit? That must be the stupidest feature ever made? It has worked great to exceed the speed limit before this, but I guess battery has been on like 60% or something. Could someone explain this to me? Is it something wrong with my wheel or is this to prevent you from riding too fast?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, esaj said:

To get all "scientific", you exceeded the speed where the battery voltage is not enough to cause a large enough current to flow through the motor. The faster the motor spins, the larger voltage the motor itself generates. Yes, an electric motor is also a generator, if you spin the wheel by an outside force, it generates a voltage that could be used to power other equipment. When the battery power is used to spin the motor, the motor still produces its own voltage, this is called back-EMF (back electromotive force). For an electric current to flow, there must be a voltage difference. Once the motor spins fast enough to produce a back-EMF equal to the battery voltage, the current can no longer flow. Current is what creates the torque of the motor, so at that point, there's zero torque on the motor, and it cannot accelerate to keep you up when you lean forwards. Actually, it will happen before the 0-torque point, there might be torque "left", but not enough to keep you upright when trying to accelerate, or you just hit a bump or whatever which would need a higher torque momentarily to overcome, but there's not enough "buffer" left.

The lower the battery voltage goes (the more empty the battery), the lower the speed where this occurs. There are lots more detailed threads spread across the forum in case you're interested in the more "techy" details.

Awesome explanation!

• Upvote 2

Hehe, fun comparision with the coin collecting ? But to be honest, I really thought the beeping was just for you to keep track of the speed. Like if I set the limit at 31kmh which I have now. Then first beep is 32kmh. Second is 33kmh. Third is 34kmh and continuous beeping is 35kmh which is said to be max capacity on mcm4. I did not think the vehicle itself would react to this. Just a warning what speed you are at since there is no speed display except on your phone. But you don't really have your phone up while riding.

But I was wrong and knew to little about the vehicle. I'm glad people don't eat me alive for this since they are probably grown up people.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yffisch said:

Thanks a lot for info. Of course I know that what I did was wrong. It is no secret. I just wanted to know if I can trust my wheel in the future. And I guess I can after Reading this. Thanks a lot for the info! I was stupid and I had to suffer from my stupidness, that I already know. It all went well and my wheel lost a bit of plastic and I got some scratches, but I had protection gear and it was not that bad to fall. Quite an experience.

From now on I will never exceed the first beep. The thing was that I've exceeded those beeps hundreds of times during my 6 weeks and nothing has happened. But this time, It was too much and I was stupid and will never do it again.

Thanks esaj for your explanation. Very well writteb.

Actually, you can safely turn off the 1st and 2nd beeps - they are just indicators to let you know your respective speed. However, never ignore the 3rd alarm (5 beeps). That tells you that you are exceeding the power capability of the wheel.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kens said:

Few more videos from Youtube for EUC face-plant awareness..

I got it from Bell Super 3R vs Giro Switchblade review thread.

I've never seen that longboard race fail :shock2:  If you're going to race anything, don't use a Ninebot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never seen that longboard race fail :shock2:  If you're going to race anything, don't use a Ninebot.

He over leaned too much. I wonder if the wheel even beeps at him or not.

I agree with that manual thing. It was extremely shitty and did not really explain anything except "you are not supposed to ride in x and y and insurance bla bla and age between 18-60" things. How hard can it be to hire in an English speaking person who could just write some text. Even the english translation on the wheel itself is shitty. Bad grammar and it is misspelled and no spaces after some commas.

Keith: Yes that was exactly what happened to me! It lools terrible on that movie. I had much less protective clothes than him. I was very lucky :)

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Yffisch said:

I really regret my lack of knowledge but I am really happy it all went well. It is a very good vehicle, but don't do what I did.

I thought the beeps was just a warning of the speed, and not actually a warning about the vehicle itself. Please, take care out there and respect thr beeps. I know that there are probably other newbies that will do the same misstake as I did. Just don't!!!

As you said others will make the same mistakes either because the lag of knowledge or just simply because they get intoxicating by speed. 

There is a reason why road say keep shouting about speed kills.....or even at law speed compared to a car will hurt you severely. 

Good you had listen to wear safety gear. 

I am by no means an angel about speed, but let's just say a heep of "hazzards" and many years as a bicycle rider in dense city traffic have learned my more that fair share of lessons. My big warning signs are people in roadside parked cars and listning for dogs. You never know when people open a car door or a dog rushes out under or between parked cars.

Now with an EUC I am learning new drinking dynamics and the road condition seem more important than ever. It seems most people here in Sweden totally ignore the fact when double g your speed you quadro the energy stored in the moving object. People are driving way to fast and to close to the car in front of the to be able to react. Now when they are using ebikes because  government subsided to get people to ride bikes more you get the same speed mentality on bike lanes.

That is why I thing it would by great to have a driver licenses for EUC so people get the skills up and understand they have a deadly weapon between their feets. It is by far not a toy despite many view an EUC like that at first glance.

Edited by Unventor
BTW forgot to note, glad you 'Ok' consdering circumstances. Note to self I really need to get motorbike jacket. Rather soon than later...
  • Upvote 1