RockyTop

Thoughts as A beginner

Glad you are well on your way in this fun hobby! ;)

nice progress! no need to rush - eventually turning will become easier. you have safety gear?

40 minutes ago, kour said:

nice progress! no need to rush - eventually turning will become easier. you have safety gear?

I can turn pretty good now as long as I have a reason.  Doing random turn I a parking lot still feels a litte strange.  Safety gear?  Yep! Full dirt bike body armor under a loose t shirt,  a white water kayak helmet ( much better coverage than a bicycle helmet not as good as a dirt bike helmet) and wrist guards, Thick Carhart pants, No knee pads. Flying through the air 4 feet off the ground at 30 MPH+, waiting for the ground to come up and get me has been a common thing in my life. (I think the time spent could easily be measured in minutes. It is actually quite enjoyable until the inevitable happens.)  I seem to land well and never on the knees.  Although the ground is getting harder and the laws of gravity are becoming more strict than 40 years ago. 

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

chooch has skills

Couldn’t agree more. I love his style, just so cool, relaxed and loose. I no doubt look like a big stiff, awkward twat in comparison. 

5 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

Couldn’t agree more. I love his style, just so cool, relaxed and loose. I no doubt look like a big stiff, awkward twat in comparison. 

I think you can learn a lot watching Chooch shift his weight around.  His movements more resemble a dirt bike riders movements. 

12 hours ago, Duf said:

Glad you are well on your way in this fun hobby! ;)

I too discovered EUC through your videos Duf, in particular the riding the MSuper to work video. As soon as I discovered EUCs I did a youtube search for "electric unicycle long distance" or something, and your video came right up. That's when I knew I had to have one, and they weren't just toys like hoverboard:

23 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I too discovered EUC through your videos Duf, in particular the riding the MSuper to work video. As soon as I discovered EUCs I did a youtube search for "electric unicycle long distance" or something, and your video came right up. That's when I knew I had to have one, and they weren't just toys like hoverboard:

@Duf video also gives me emotional support when learning to ride this dangerous one wheeled contraption a month ago. Especially this one:

I could just gives up when I realized how hard the learning curves without his video ?

I just got back from my first nature trail on an EUC.  Most of it was on a gravel path.  Some of it was on packed dirt.  I was surprised at how smooth It was. The slight bumps help the blood flow to my legs.  I zipped around while my wife watched me with a scowl on her face as our two dogs wrapped their leashes around her......  I had a blast!! .. ....    So.......  On a side note,  I learned that walking a well behaved dog while riding an EUC is not as bad as I thought.  Doc is a well behaved 7 year old Brittany Spaniel that would run beside me without a leash.  He has had practice running beside a bicycle  and we both know what happens when he cuts me off.  I did not put my hand in the loop so I could let go.  He pulled in the wrong direction a few times.  It was not a problem.  It reminded me of water skiing and actually improved stability at times. I don’t think I would have tried it on asphalt. 

7 hours ago, Adam Sharkan said:

I love hearing everyone's stories about how they got into EUC's. Mines boring hah, I tried a mate's wheel while in Afghanistan and loved it. I was amazed at how easy it was to learn to ride, the basics anyway, after an hour I was zipping around. Now that I'm back home I just bought a new ACMv2 from ewheels and after a little snafu it's on its way to me due Tuesday. I too saw the same videos and @Marty Backe videos and posts are what made me want a Gotway. Anyway, happy to join the forum. Cheers. 

You'll love the ACM2. Just today @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" and I did a 45-mile mile trek through some California mountains. We climbed a total of 4900-feet. My 1600wh ACM2 had 45% battery remaining at the end of the 5h 45m ride :shock2: Awesome!

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I bought my first EUC back in early Jan 2014.  Didn’t learn to ride it until last year.  To me it seemed impossible.  Then I too found @Duf, @Marty Backe, speedy feet and some others.  Their videos gave me the push to learn after watching Mike Boyd’s channel about what a person can learn in a few hours.  I didn’t learn that I can learn anything until I hit age 44.  It just takes practice.  You brain is an amazing thing.  Just feed it data and it will figure it out.  Feeding it data is practice time.  

Over the last year, I’ve learned EUC, manual unicycling, motorcycling, how to solve a rubies cube, how to spit an apple with your bare hands, how to spin a basketball, etc.   

everyday is a chance to learn something new!   

Great attitude :cheers:

I recently got into euc as well. I am hooked! I also watch @Duf’s YouTube video to learn how to ride an euc. I had trouble when I was first learning how to ride and I remember in one of the video duf said do not look down when you are practicing riding. I change my bad habits and instantly improve overall riding experience. My first wheel was Ks14s, had that for less than 3 weeks and sold it. Next I bought the acmv2, sold that after about 20 miles on if. Now, I own an msuper v3s+ and I love it! Currently waiting for the msuper x, preordered that one at ewheels. My wallet running dry! ?

13 minutes ago, Tommy Le said:

I recently got into euc as well. I am hooked! I also watch @Duf’s YouTube video to learn how to ride an euc. I had trouble when I was first learning how to ride and I remember in one of the video duf said do not look down when you are practicing riding. I change my bad habits and instantly improve overall riding experience. My first wheel was Ks14s, had that for less than 3 weeks and sold it. Next I bought the acmv2, sold that after about 20 miles on if. Now, I own an msuper v3s+ and I love it! Currently waiting for the msuper x, preordered that one at ewheels. My wallet running dry! ?

Can’t wait to hear your MSuper X review!

I have been riding for a month and a half now.  When I started I thought it would never get so easy.  I watched videos of people looking at their phone and recording videos while I could not even adjust my glasses without loosing my balance.  Now I can pick a leaf up off the ground without a problem.  I am still working on turning my body around so I can see behind me without that almost useless mirror.  I can do it.  I just need to get better.  

Last weekend I was with my wife, daughter and son-in-law.  They were on bikes and I was on my MSuper.  We were at mile 10 and had a half a mile up hill to get back to the car.  I had been riding beside my son-in-law up a long hill at 8mph.  I had been holding my phone in the two hand texting pose for the last half mile.  He was huffing and puffing and said “ I think this hill is going to KILL me!!” I turned to him, looked him in the eye and said in dead pan, “Ohh!   I know!   It’s terrible!!    I have had to lean forward slightly more usual for the last half mile.  Do you like meat lovers? I am ordering a pizza online from Marco’s?”   The poor guy could not laugh and breath at the same time.  Almost passed out.  

Edited by RockyTop
Spelling

7 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I am still working on turning my body around so I can see behind me without that almost useless mirror.  I can do it.  I just need to get better.

The trick should be to only move/turn your head, but not your shoulders with it. This goes a bit against natural behavior, but if you do it consciously, maybe you see a difference.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The trick should be to only move/turn your head, but not your shoulders with it. This goes a bit against natural behavior, but if you do it consciously, maybe you see a difference.

I did this while doing some extensive backward riding on my Mten3. It took over a wheel to recover from a very back crick that developed in my neck :crying:

Hehe, I'm only saying what works for me:efeebb3acc: I wondered why looking back did throw me off course as a beginner and now it's no problem, and that was the result: I must have learned to only move the head but keep the shoulders as they are.

I guess one could turn the upper body and at the same time shift weight to the other leg, and keep going straight? Will try that.

How do you look back? Or do you not?

7 hours ago, CptSalami said:

Have you been writing so much about wheels that "week" gets autocorrected? ?

I'm so far down the rabbit hole that I find my brain turning every other word into Wheel :blink1:

Edited by Marty Backe