Kingsong KS18L, will it Marty or Rehab or not?

Unventor

19 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Fanatec finally got the picture and went with a better load cell for V3 of pedals with same name

This is good information, do you have pictures/information of the v2/v3 in side-by-side? Are the two physically interchangeable? Will forward your suggestion to KS.

Often component decisions are not made with any advanced MTBF understanding, which on something like this switch can pretty important. If it does fail, it needs to be in the off position & the board's logic should override the signal's input if the Wheel is already rotating—this is how Inmotion's products work. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Electroman said:

Must try!!

On a serious note though, the very cheap load cells in the image I have come to truly dislike cause been going through them like no tomorrow. The V2 version of the Fanatec clubsport pedals (brake) use the exact model and I don't think are really made to apply pressure to again and again and again hence me buying them and re solder the connector I have to use and swap them out in rig, one after the other.  But I also notice when arriving some can be dead, others have different QC problems and can differ in pressure applied even between them in same batch so constantly having to adjust brake input after swapping one out, so no wonder Fanatec finally got the picture and went with a better load cell for V3 of pedals with same name, but now they cannot milk customers for seriously marked up china load cells anymore so maybe that's why they did hang on for so long for V3 and no "improved V2"?

Now I fully understand why KS going down this route and not some magpowr load cell  in there cause it would affect the price by a lot, but a higher quality compact China S cell of higher quality load cell and personally I would pay $25 more for the wheel w/o hesitation just for the peace of mind alone. Now perhaps KS implementation of the load cell is a bit better and I am just nervous for no good reason, hope so cause this is a contender for me.

I wasn't suggesting that KS uses those load cells, or the HX711, that was just a sidenote... The load cell in the picture of the handle looks much bigger and sturdier than the cheap ones you can order off Aliexpress, eBay or whatever. If it's not total crap, it should easily handle the weight, even the cheap small ones used in body weight scales (4 pieces in corners) should be able to withstand up to 50kg per piece, a larger one might be rated for a couple of hundred kilos (the sensor will get momentarily under harder load than just the wheel mass when the wheel's being lifted upwards), but I don't know for sure. Also the way it operates (wheel weight pulling down the outer part/handle pulling up the "lip") was a best guess, but seems plausible.

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is good information, do you have pictures/information of the v2/v3 in side-by-side? Are the two physically interchangeable? Will forward your suggestion to KS.

Often component decisions are not made with any advanced MTBF understanding, which on something like this switch can pretty important. If it does fail, it needs to be in the off position & the board's logic should override the signal's input if the Wheel is already rotating—this is how Inmotion's products work. 

Hi Jason, so sorry I am feeling a bit lazy atm and gonna hit the bed to work early tomorrow but suppose I can have a look soon enough on my V2 if still want it by then?

For now I will link already existing material though

Fanatec Clubsport V2 vs V3, they look very much alike apart from details and even the same frame, so V3 i much improved but I do not think the cell is interchangeable due to design on location and where it's being held in place the whole pressure measure location is redesigned for this new cell.

This is the V2 pedals, no longer on sale:

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/support/product;old_product_id;252

Club sport V2 load cell, same as cheap on Ebay a lot of people having problems with it and buy cheaper on Ebay to avid the extra cost of constantly swapping load cells:

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/pedals-accessories/clubsport-pedal-load-cell-eu.html

Videos on changing load cell for V2, same as I have in my virtual rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLF78MQ9WL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MBvDaoubs

Disassemble of the V2 pedal set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVKtHihURE

Did not see a link to new load cell replacement (may still exist) but to the V3 pedals I did find one and the look of the new cell can be seen up to the left:

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-usa.html

Review of the V3 pedal set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDXe7UusF5o

Lots of people experienced problems with the cell in the V1/V2, I do not read so much on the forums anymore so maybe there is some problems with V3 too but I highly doubt it's anything like the V2 that broke down and still is breaking down for a lot of people. I figured some problems can be how the load cell is implemented and people putting too much pressure on it and therefor breaking down premature, could be but I tried to brake very soft as a test and still braking down for me so honestly cannot say?

3 hours ago, esaj said:

I wasn't suggesting that KS uses those load cells, or the HX711, that was just a sidenote... The load cell in the picture of the handle looks much bigger and sturdier than the cheap ones you can order off Aliexpress, eBay or whatever. If it's not total crap, it should easily handle the weight, even the cheap small ones used in body weight scales (4 pieces in corners) should be able to withstand up to 50kg per piece, a larger one might be rated for a couple of hundred kilos (the sensor will get momentarily under harder load than just the wheel mass when the wheel's being lifted upwards), but I don't know for sure. Also the way it operates (wheel weight pulling down the outer part/handle pulling up the "lip") was a best guess, but seems plausible.

Yes I hear you esaj and probably KS would not, I don't remember size for the low quality one but perhaps some 40x40x3mm?

Something like a Zemic BM3 would likely take the cost up so much it's no longer worth it for KS, but there are China no name cells available of S or share beam design and don't have to worry about a couple of mm metal twisting til dead, time will tell but I trust KS is better than Gotway when it comes to QC right? I have only Gotway to refer to regarding EUC hence perhaps that why the little pessimist come out of me? ?

So I went ahead and pre-ordered an 18L from Speedyfeet. Getting fed up with my V8’s power issues and the lazy, ‘maybe I’ll reply, maybe not’ replies from Personal Electric Transport and Project42. At least this way I’ll have a backup. Also, there’s an electric transport trade show/convention thing happening at Silverstone this weekend that I have tickets to, and Personal Electric Transport are supposedly going to be there. 

Ian has said he expects delivery by air in mid June. Would be awesome if it arrives before I go back to the Lake District for a week in the latter half. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got bored at the tv last evening so i decided to go for a ride...this is showing why i am looking for an upgrade. The 12km ride was capped due battery stared at 85% and came down to 39% when I was home. 

Sorry for the long clip but I guess you can jump a bit...

So @Marty Backe please get that review asap. Hope you can join in too @Rehab1 Right now the KS18L look to be best candidate for what I am looking for. Right now TheV10f just seem to have one "minor" thing popping up after another...

As for Gotway (Monster X)....I am not looking for an Alfa Romero 1975ish sports car reliability....

NOTE: The wobble at start was due to me having wrong balance between my dominant leg to the weak one and being tired from the beginning.

@Scatcat you should have been out there last night..very nice indeed. I just wish I had more range on the wheel.

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I got bored at the tv last evening so i decided to go for a ride...this is showing why i am looking for an upgrade. The 12km ride was capped due battery stared at 85% and came down to 39% when I was home. 

Sorry for the long clip but I guess you can jump a bit...

So @Marty Backe please get that review asap. Hope you can join in too @Rehab1 Right now the KS18L look to be best candidate for what I am looking for. Right now TheV10f just seem to have one "minor" thing popping up after another...

As for Gotway (Monster X)....I am not looking for an Alfa Romero 1975ish sports car reliability....

NOTE: The wobble at start was due to me having wrong balance between my dominant leg to the weak one and being tired from the beginning.

@Scatcat you should have been out there last night..very nice indeed. I just wish I had more range on the wheel.

I kind of like the old classics, Alfa did some special things in the past and the personal favorite period for sure is the 60's, if you can live with what you refer to that is, which also do not always come to pass either and despite the rumor more people than not do not have to go through it even though a too high percentage must. They will slowly keep improving I am certain, but yes I wish they tested more too before release

However, perhaps it is too early to completely judge out or assume just yet, maybe I am biased cause I just order one after choosing between the 2 mentioned models and a few others as well and not choosing the KS18L. I am certain it will be a nice wheel, probably safe and solid personally I want the old persona and a old GT/GTA/GTV's have got so much character, a new stiff Volvo probably much more reliable though. ?

On s serious note, let's wait and see once the statistics start rolling in and when full picture is painted, I want to see what the new control board go for?

@Electroman I really like your post above a lot. It is very clear we are look for something different. Please do mot get me wrong. Old sports car can have its charms...I on the other hand prefer to ride over tinkering with the wheel. To me anyone have their preference which is perfectly alright.

Again a very nice post....good job.

57 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@Electroman I really like your post above a lot. It is very clear we are look for something different. Please do mot get me wrong. Old sports car can have its charms...I on the other hand prefer to ride over tinkering with the wheel. To me anyone have their preference which is perfectly alright.

Again a very nice post....good job.

Hehe yeah absolutely my friend and a good thing too, ok to be fully honest I have admit I want the new KS as well, the economy though is telling me to choose one over the other so...?  Another reason is the 1600Wh, atm stuck with 820Wh and top up constantly cause I cannot enjoy the wheel the same way if dipping below 50% (preferably even 60%) and then charge max. Not great for the battery packs in the long run I want to be able to charge to more like 85-90% and MSX will give me more room to play, not all that simple either also other aspects such as availability, price and parameters that must line up and I felt for me here and now MSX from China was the best way to go.

My hope is not to tinker too much, time will tell? ?

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

I kind of like the old classics, Alfa did some special things in the past and the personal favorite period for sure is the 60's, if you can live with what you refer to that is, which also do not always come to pass either and despite the rumor more people than not do not have to go through it even though a too high percentage must. They will slowly keep improving I am certain, but yes I wish they tested more too before release

However, perhaps it is too early to completely judge out or assume just yet, maybe I am biased cause I just order one after choosing between the 2 mentioned models and a few others as well and not choosing the KS18L. I am certain it will be a nice wheel, probably safe and solid personally I want the old persona and a old GT/GTA/GTV's have got so much character, a new stiff Volvo probably much more reliable though. ?

On s serious note, let's wait and see once the statistics start rolling in and when full picture is painted, I want to see what the new control board go for?

I like to view it in this way: the.  "Gotchaway" for me is more akin to the "Dodge Demon" of Electric Unicyles, while the Kingsong (18L) is like a Porsche GT2.

Personally, I dig fast Porsches waaay more than fast Dodges. Just a personal preference though.

I like me a fast Porsche too, the boxer 6 have got a beautiful hoarse, rasping gargle, metallic in structure they have got some character for sure.  I love even more the howling high rpm scream from these red Maranello beauty's with that extremely fined tuned intakes and the special firing order you get from these lovely flat plane cranks, but so again I love the deep growling American muscle as well and making the hair stand on my back for sure, I know some folks have got this Ford vs Chevy thing going but I do not and I still absolutely love the Ford small blocks, although in general all American V8's whether new over head or old push rod. I'm just one of those different mood kind of guy I, heck I even love some silent'ish Tesla whining too and to me a coin have got not 2 sides but a kind of dynamic side changing all the time.

But this is just impressions, a sensation and while very, very fast of the red lights regarding GT2 I have a strong feeling will absolutely spank a Demon come some apexes and heavy brake ins later, say a track day for ex? Not certain this is the case for a KS18L vs a MSX though, but while I do misunderstand sometimes and the language barrier do it's thing at very least I think I get it, what you mean that is? As far as I get acceleration and braking will be determined by a small range of factors more or less, but how they handle while still on this car analogy train I could not really say? My reference is limited to the ACM, albeit to me very easy to manipulate and love the way it handles, respond to slightest input form me. I'm actually even a bit worried how much of that I will loose while on the MSX but heard some say you also adopt your style to the new wheel to overcome some of the disadvantages , if talking reliability I suppose I could just go with any Lexus/Toyota? ?

2 hours ago, Electroman said:

I like me a fast Porsche too, the boxer 6 have got a beautiful hoarse, rasping gargle, metallic in structure they have got some character for sure.  I love even more the howling high rpm scream from these red Maranello beauty's with that extremely fined tuned intakes and the special firing order you get from these lovely flat plane cranks, but so again I love the deep growling American muscle as well and making the hair stand on my back for sure, I know some folks have got this Ford vs Chevy thing going but I do not and I still absolutely love the Ford small blocks, although in general all American V8's whether new over head or old push rod. I'm just one of those different mood kind of guy I, heck I even love some silent'ish Tesla whining too and to me a coin have got not 2 sides but a kind of dynamic side changing all the time.

But this is just impressions, a sensation and while very, very fast of the red lights regarding GT2 I have a strong feeling will absolutely spank a Demon come some apexes and heavy brake ins later, say a track day for ex? Not certain this is the case for a KS18L vs a MSX though, but while I do misunderstand sometimes and the language barrier do it's thing at very least I think I get it, what you mean that is? As far as I get acceleration and braking will be determined by a small range of factors more or less, but how they handle while still on this car analogy train I could not really say? My reference is limited to the ACM, albeit to me very easy to manipulate and love the way it handles, respond to slightest input form me. I'm actually even a bit worried how much of that I will loose while on the MSX but heard some say you also adopt your style to the new wheel to overcome some of the disadvantages , if talking reliability I suppose I could just go with any Lexus/Toyota? ?

As you said, and I agree, Cars and electric unicycles are different machines altogether; thus, a different range of factors to consider. My analogy is therefore obviously limited by the fact that combustion-powered 1.5-2.5 ton vehicles and 40 lb electric-powered unicycles are very different. The analogy is further limited by the fact that I offered up no particular baseline or performance data to support my analogies conclusion. 

Now that I skewered my own analogy by talking about what it is limited-by ??, let me mention what it is limited-to; a rather subjective perception shaped by a combination of personal experience, the collective impressions of others who have personal experience (hopefully at least in most cases), and data that has been made available by the manufacturers and on this forum. The perfect storm of all the various inputs led me to a single analogy.

Gotway MSX ≈ Dodge Demon (mechanically unreliable brick-shaped and brick-weighted straight line hellion with an impressively powerful motor).

Oh, how I love that V8 rumble for drowning out all the squeaks, groans, and rattles, from every other part of the car.

KS18L ≈ Porsche GT2, a powerful, yet refined surgical knife that, like the Demon can go fast in a straight line and unlike the Demon can turn well, and as evidenced by the fact that the GT2 is the current production car king of the Nurburgring,  can go fast around corners too. 

Since you mentioned pushrod V8s, perhaps the analogy would sound fairer if I equated the KS18L with the 2019 Corvette ZR1; my current favorite, but only because I cannot afford a Mclaren P1? ??

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

KS18L ≈ Porsche GT2, a powerful, yet refined surgical knife that, like the Demon can go fast in a straight line and unlike the Demon can turn well, and as evidenced by the fact that the GT2 is the current production car king of the Nurburgring,  can go fast around corners too. 

But it feels sad when your GT2 electronically speed limited to 100mph when it downs to 50% on the gas tank.. Then it speed limited again to 60mph after 30%...

After there's only 10% left in the gas tank, the car will still on to power the radio and navigation but will not drive the wheel. You have to push you GT2 to the gas station.. :facepalm:

Oh don't forget your GT2 will tilted back 45 degrees while in this state.. Amazing front hydraulics I must say..

15 hours ago, Kens said:

But it feels sad when your GT2 electronically speed limited to 100mph when it downs to 50% on the gas tank.. Then it speed limited again to 60mph after 30%...

After there's only 10% left in the gas tank, the car will still on to power the radio and navigation but will not drive the wheel. You have to push you GT2 to the gas station.. :facepalm:

Oh, don't forget your GT2 will tilted back 45 degrees while in this state.. Amazing front hydraulics I must s

One wheel brand's advantage, and design and development priority today could be its undoing tomorrow if they fail to properly maintain the balance between what consumers want with what consumers need.

Some manufacturers will tilt toward want, and others will lean in the direction of need in an attempt to find the salient and fluid mix of ingredients that lead to sustainability.

Consumers will be attracted to one, both, or the other based on their own priorities.

The manufacturers should stay attentive, creative, proactive, and agile in their strategies because the consumers of these devices will certainly be agile in their decision-making.

What reassures one consumer may be annoying to another buyer. What one buyer finds thrilling, another consumer may find pointless. What one buyer feels is minor may be deal-breaking for another. It's called the marketplace

One thing is certain, the choices in this niche electronic mobility market keep getting better across the board. Every rider has access to an almost-perfect wheel that only asks for small concessions in exchange for demanded thrills.

Whatever the reason you like what you like, its good to be able to have it shipped to your front door.

22 hours ago, Kens said:

Oh don't forget your GT2 will tilted back 45 degrees while in this state.. Amazing front hydraulics I must say..

Is this true, in regards to KS wheels?

I don't ride at 10% so not affected but I would still like to be able to get last mile home if caught out on riding adventures.

12 minutes ago, Electroman said:

I don't ride at 10% so not affected but I would still like to be able to get last mile home if caught out on riding adventures.

I am not sure either, never been caught in a situation with only 10% battery on my KS. I couldn't tell anyone from experience what happens at that level; knock on wood.

37 minutes ago, Rok Tomažin said:

@Electroman what is the name of this dashcam app?

Sorry my friend, I believe I am missing the point?

I need more information to understand what app you refer to and in what aspect, what situation?

However I scrolled up, saw the video again and then the coin finally did fall down down, I quoted Unventor so I I would suggest you ask him, either directly or via pm, whatever you are most comfortable with I suppose. He should have the answers,I know nothing about dash cams and the apps for them, sorry. ?

6 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Sorry my friend, I believe I am missing the point?

I need more information to understand what app you refer to and in what aspect, what situation?

However I scrolled up, saw the video again and then the coin finally did fall down down, I quoted Unventor so I I would suggest you ask him, either directly or via pm, whatever you are most comfortable with I suppose. He should have the answers,I know nothing about dash cams and the apps for them, sorry. ?

It is a free software for Sony actioncams. I am not sure if it works with other brands. If you look up Sony fdr-x3000r and follow support and software you get to it. I forgot the actual name of the program.

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

57 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I am not sure either, never been caught in a situation with only 10% battery on my KS. I couldn't tell anyone from experience what happens at that level; knock on wood.

I'm not sure for previous KS wheel but a member in this forum got his KS 18L and do a range test on it.

For some reason I cannot find that thread anymore... I just found his video on YouTube:

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

It is a free software for Sony actioncams. I am not sure if it works with other brands. If you look up Sony fdr-x3000r and follow support and software you get to it. I forgot the actual name of the program.

Rok Tomažin, see reply here.

Just directing since I believe you misquoted and not my department, just tried to redirect and help you out pointing out this.

6 hours ago, Kens said:

I'm not sure for previous KS wheel but a member in this forum got his KS 18L and do a range test on it.

For some reason I cannot find that thread anymore... I just found his video on YouTube:

Yeah! I have seen this video. Very helpful information; especially since the rider's weight is similar to mine.

I have never done a range test on any of my wheels as I have never been among the earliest adopters. I tend to be more of an early-late adopter of new models (an exception being the new KS 18L for which I wait with bated breath). By the time I buy my wheels there is usually already a multitude data available about the wheels I find interesting; so I am generally pretty well informed about performance and real-world distance capabilities before I buy.

If I am ever an earliest adopter among the pool of early adopters in the world (that I think all of us one-wheelers currently represent), I will also do a range test to help educate and inform the market.

As far as the review, at least the rider knows that he has a great commuter wheel to ride as long as he charges it when he arrives at work; no sweat there unless they have two hour workdays in Denmark.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I am generally pretty well informed about performance and real-world distance capabilities before I buy.

I don’t think you are. My distance varies between 35-50km, and that is with the same rider, same riding mode, same weather, and the same wheel. Change any of those and you get even more variance.

If you get a 1000Wh wheel, you get a 1000Wh distance. Difference between wheel models is small. The only thing that can make a notable difference is if the wheel has an overly conservative protection at low battery.

My 16S can be ridden down to below 0% battery. The max speed starts going down at 30%, and is 15km/h at 0%. If I stay below the lowering max speed, I get no beeps or tiltback, until a continuous beeping pattern at 0% (50V), and the final tiltback at 48V (about -5%).

I’m surprised if the 18L really has such a different behavior as a continuous beeping below 20%.

Archived