I just can't keep away... journeying back to EUC's sooner than planned/expected?!

TremF

The e-bike isn't working and I am able to do less with my girls than I could when I was riding EUC's. To be able to stay in work I pretty much rest when home and fear doing anything in case I am effected for the next up to a week. A few weeks ago popping to Sports Direct with my girls to get some hiking equipment for my eldest who's doing the Duke of Edinburgh award had me in bed sleeping the next day, resting the day after and slow, weak and painful in work for a couple of days after that.

Anyway my doctor referred me to rheumatology and I've applied with work to get a laptop and work from home 1 day a week to help manage my condition but also I've been looking into EUC's again.

There's a few really interesting ones coming out BUT I don't want to wait and weeks/months when the nice weather is hitting and I want to get out and about with my girls again.

After asking Ian @ SpeedyFeet for recommendations I started looking at the Gotway ACM2, Kingsong KS18L and the InMotion V10F, which are all in the price range I am looking at. With some valuable and trusted help and advice from @Marty Backe it looks like I might be going for the Gotway ACM2 1300wh as that's what Ian has in stock now and is most likely to be able to do the 40+ miles I'm looking for. 

I won't be doing any serious speed and still have the protective gear I bought after my accident last year so along with the knowledge, and piece of mind, that the ACM2 is better built than my previous ACM I feel safe going for it and stepping back into the EUC world.

Out of interest I asked the guy I bought the e-bike from how much he thought I may be able to get for it and if he had anyone looking for one and luck has it he is out of stock and someone is enquiring so I may, very soon, have a buyer for the e-bike! It doesn't cover everything but helps a lot.

IF all goes to plan, and I don't change my mind lol, I may have the ACM2 by Friday/Saturday!!! ??

It is tough to stay away from EUCs once biten by the bug. Sorry your having these annoying health issues. Best wishes on selling your Ebike and the purchase of a new ACM2. Exciting! 

3 hours ago, TremF said:

It's done! ACM2 1300wh & trolley handle being delivered Saturday. Many thanks to @Marty Backe for the advice & Ian @ SpeedyFeet for having stock & sorting a Saturday delivery option for me. :)

Great. Let me (us) know what your real-world mileage is with this new wheel.

Well... It was delivered bright & early yesterday along with a trolley handle. Hopefully with the bottom bar of the trolley being thicker & better quality steel than the original it will last longer. 

With it being wet out yesterday I figured I'd wait to see if today would be any better. So far it's great out.

I popped for a very quick ride earlier and I'm not as confident as I was with my previous ACM, especially as my feet hurt, but it seems quieter than the original and a lovely smooth ride & acceleration. I wore my jeans with built in kevlar and knee and hip pads, a fleece with built in elbow & shoulder pads, my D30 padded riding gloves & Bell Annex Shield Mils helmet. My feet hurt because I usually use big boots which are super comfy but today I had my trainers on.

The extra thickness of the ACM 2 is very noticeable & uncomfortable but as I get used to riding again I'll relax more and also my usual boots will make the ride a little easier.

Anyway, hopefully, when my wife gets home from work this afternoon I might pop for a more decent ride to make sure I'm comfortable before I use it for work tomorrow. Do a decent canal ride. 

In time I'll do a range test to see what I can get from the 1300wh. I'm hoping for around 40 miles so need to find a good cruise speed to help with that.

1 hour ago, TremF said:

Well... It was delivered bright & early yesterday along with a trolley handle. Hopefully with the bottom bar of the trolley being thicker & better quality steel than the original it will last longer

Congratulations and welcome back TremF!

1 hour ago, TremF said:

Anyway, hopefully, when my wife gets home from work this afternoon I might pop for a more decent ride

Funny! My situation it just the opposite where I try to ride before the wife returns home from work. :ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Congratulations and welcome back TremF!

Funny! My situation it just the opposite where I try to ride before the wife returns home from work. :ph34r:

Thanks @Rehab1 :) hopefully it will be good to be back once I settle back in on the ACM2.

I'd go for a ride before she gets home but my kids don't want to at the moment. They were still in bed earlier (6:30am) when I popped out for a quick ride around the block. That would have been an ideal time for a decent ride. Very few, if any, people about.

7 hours ago, TremF said:

Well... It was delivered bright & early yesterday along with a trolley handle. Hopefully with the bottom bar of the trolley being thicker & better quality steel than the original it will last longer. 

With it being wet out yesterday I figured I'd wait to see if today would be any better. So far it's great out.

I popped for a very quick ride earlier and I'm not as confident as I was with my previous ACM, especially as my feet hurt, but it seems quieter than the original and a lovely smooth ride & acceleration. I wore my jeans with built in kevlar and knee and hip pads, a fleece with built in elbow & shoulder pads, my D30 padded riding gloves & Bell Annex Shield Mils helmet. My feet hurt because I usually use big boots which are super comfy but today I had my trainers on.

The extra thickness of the ACM 2 is very noticeable & uncomfortable but as I get used to riding again I'll relax more and also my usual boots will make the ride a little easier.

Anyway, hopefully, when my wife gets home from work this afternoon I might pop for a more decent ride to make sure I'm comfortable before I use it for work tomorrow. Do a decent canal ride. 

In time I'll do a range test to see what I can get from the 1300wh. I'm hoping for around 40 miles so need to find a good cruise speed to help with that.

Great. Glad the delivery came through without a hitch. As you know, your feet and legs will adjust to the ACM2. It does have a nice smooth ride.

Look forward to hearing what you get for range.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't gotten around to a proper range test yet. I'm still struggling with my condition though I finally have permission to work one day a week from home so hopfully that will help ease things.

I did manage a ride yesterday though. In total it was 27 miles and I had 41% battery left. The maximum speed I went was 26mph on a nice stretch of canal path. :D 

The ride was cut short by the amount of pain I was in distracting me from enjoying myself. I actually wanted to turn around at 3 miles but a few rest breaks helped me go further.

To say I'm suffering today is an understatement. I'm hoping it's still the worsened effects from riding the e-bike and that the working from home and riding the ACM2 will help get back to more manageable pain levels soon. 

2 hours ago, TremF said:

I still haven't gotten around to a proper range test yet. I'm still struggling with my condition though I finally have permission to work one day a week from home so hopfully that will help ease things.

I did manage a ride yesterday though. In total it was 27 miles and I had 41% battery left. The maximum speed I went was 26mph on a nice stretch of canal path. :D 

The ride was cut short by the amount of pain I was in distracting me from enjoying myself. I actually wanted to turn around at 3 miles but a few rest breaks helped me go further.

To say I'm suffering today is an understatement. I'm hoping it's still the worsened effects from riding the e-bike and that the working from home and riding the ACM2 will help get back to more manageable pain levels soon. 

That sounds about right for a 1300wh wheel, and where you're riding it fast a lot.

7 hours ago, TremF said:

I feel terrible for you!

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That sounds about right for a 1300wh wheel, and where you're riding it fast a lot.

If my calculations are correct then I might get 40-45 miles on a charge which will be perfect for me if I am able to take advantage of that mileage. My only problem is that I don't like riding when the beeps start at around 20% battery. :laughbounce2:
Mostly I was just cruising along at whatever speed the ACM2 likes to sit at. It was only on my return journey that I pushed it, especially along my favourite part of the canal.

I'm riding in Soft mode now too as I find it hurts my feet and legs less and also softens some of the bumps along the canal enabling a more comfortable, and faster, ride whilst possibly giving a little more mileage. :) 

:efefb6a84e:  I regret suggesting that you move to an E-bike instead of the EUC.   Just thought after a few of your falls it might be a safer mode of transportation to avoid accidental trauma that may aggravate your condition.

It sounds like EUCs may still work out for the best hopefully.

57 minutes ago, TremF said:

If my calculations are correct then I might get 40-45 miles on a charge which will be perfect for me if I am able to take advantage of that mileage. My only problem is that I don't like riding when the beeps start at around 20% battery. :laughbounce2:
Mostly I was just cruising along at whatever speed the ACM2 likes to sit at. It was only on my return journey that I pushed it, especially along my favourite part of the canal.

I'm riding in Soft mode now too as I find it hurts my feet and legs less and also softens some of the bumps along the canal enabling a more comfortable, and faster, ride whilst possibly giving a little more mileage. :) 

I am glad you are enjoying your ACM2. It is probably the best value among all eucs. If, however, you had 41% battery left after 27 miles, you aren't likely to get 40 mile range, unless you substantially reduce your speed. The last 50% of a battery is not linear in any way. It doesn't duplicate the range you receive in the first 50%. 

21 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:efefb6a84e:  I regret suggesting that you move to an E-bike instead of the EUC.   Just thought after a few of your falls it might be a safer mode of transportation to avoid accidental trauma that may aggravate your condition.

It sounds like EUCs may still work out for the best hopefully.

Who could have known? :) My nerves on the Monster, after the ACM accident, was my biggest influence and two wheels are safer than one, they just can't go in as many places :)

I feel confident again on the ACM2 and in soft mode it does feel like it glides along better and smoother than the original ACM. Also I get a more positive reaction while riding the ACM 2 than the big ugly e-bike which adds to the feelgood factor. hehe.  

21 hours ago, Jerome said:

I am glad you are enjoying your ACM2. It is probably the best value among all eucs. If, however, you had 41% battery left after 27 miles, you aren't likely to get 40 mile range, unless you substantially reduce your speed. The last 50% of a battery is not linear in any way. It doesn't duplicate the range you receive in the first 50%. 

I get what you're saying and totally agree. I do keep thinking of sticking to a nice cruise speed but like on the e-bike, where I sometimes peddled faster than the assist could take me, I keep giving in to temptation :) At least I know I can get more than the 25 miles I used to get on my original 820wh ACM.

I might set the tiltback to kick in at 15mph and see how that influences the range. 

Wow... It seems I might get the 40+ miles after all. 

Before I set off on my ride, last week, the ACM2 battery was 100% and the apps (Gotway, Wheelinfo & WheelLog) all showed 113 miles or 181km. Currently my battery level is 29-31%, depending on the app, and the apps all show 152 miles or 244km which is a difference of 39 miles or 63km so far.

I'm going to risk not charging the ACM2 tonight and ride to and from work again tomorrow. I know I am going to be into the 20% beeps so will either do the same route as today or a shorter one depending on the frequency and annoyance of the beeps :)

I get 65km (40 miles) from my 1300Wh ACM at 80kg and riding not much slower than my 30km/h beeps for much of the time. So 40 miles is doable.

And it's 15% alarm I think, but since under load and no load is so different in %, doesn't matter.

Archived