Jump to content

any good helmets or tips for better hearing and awareness on a full face?


Recommended Posts

i juest feel with my current full face my situational awareness goes down a lot. my hearing is worse. and just generally. also on group rides its annoying using it. but for safety i use it

do you know any helmet that doesnt impair the hearing that bad while not compromising too much on safety? or anything else i could do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately IMHO there is no perfect EUC helmet that incorporates all of the attributes you are looking for especially increasing your hearing ability. Most full faced motorcycle helmets are just the opposite and are advertised at reducing ambient sound decibel levels. 

I purchased the Gyro Vanquish MIPS helmet and incorporated a Marty Mirror. My hearing is not impeded by unfortunately I don't feel as safe with the lack of chin protection but it has style, is lightweight and much cooler to wear in hot weather. 

41396641722_1fc4d8b5d3_b.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, fbhb said:

I can tell you from experience, that the Ruroc RG1-DX range of helmets are the closet to Full face protection you will find that also allows the least amount of hearing impairment. The reason for this is that the area just over your ears has been designed to be open, but with a fabric covering which allows you to hear so much more of your surroundings compared to the regular Full face type of helmet. I own Two Ruroc RG1-DX helmets and recently bought a TSG Pass that I now use when riding on the wheel. Don't get me wrong, I really do love the New TSG Pass for all the great features it has and the comfort it provides, but the one thing I have noticed is how much it restricts your hearing in comparison to the Ruroc. If you like the style of the Ruroc, which is worn with/without the included goggles, then I can highly recommend them as a great option in every respect. The company has fantastic customer service, ships worldwide and best of all still has an end of season sale on at present, but you will have to be quick as it only has 12 hours left to run. Check out the range at the following link:  https://www.ruroc.com

Ruroc-web.jpg

PRICY! ? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

I can tell you from experience, that the Ruroc RG1-DX range of helmets are the closet to Full face protection you will find that also allows the least amount of hearing impairment.

That is a well designed, stylish helmet. Awesome how they incorporated the ear vents to reduce hearing impairment. It does look warm for summer months. I do like my Bell Super 3R as it saved my life. 

27583923237_d6e26e7f3b_b.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That is a well designed, stylish helmet. Awesome how they incorporated the ear vents to reduce hearing impairment. It does look warm for summer months. I do like my Bell Super 3R as it saved my life. 

27583923237_d6e26e7f3b_b.jpg

 

very nice :D

looks like the perfect helmet for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shad0z said:

very nice :D

looks like the perfect helmet for me

I have exactly the same, but with mips technology. I think this helmet is perfect... i rode it a couple of km and you can hear nearly everything like having a regular bicycle helmet. 

I strongly recommend the mips version to you, I grabbed mine for 150 EUR in sale 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i juest feel with my current full face my situational awareness goes down a lot. my hearing is worse. and just generally. also on group rides its annoying using it. but for safety i use it

do you know any helmet that doesnt impair the hearing that bad while not compromising too much on safety? or anything else i could do

I was surprised at how well I can hear in the TSG Pass - https://amzn.to/2K4XvsG

 

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 4.56.10 PM.png

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lukas83 said:

I have exactly the same, but with mips technology. I think this helmet is perfect... i rode it a couple of km and you can hear nearly everything like having a regular bicycle helmet. 

I strongly recommend the mips version to you, I grabbed mine for 150 EUR in sale 

still way out of my budget. i need to find some rip off china version or something.. :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked at all of the available helmets and found this one meets all of my criteria.

full face protection, open breezy front, holes in the side for hearing.  

Face it,  ......You are just going to make that awesome looking motorcycle helmet look dopey when you use it on an EUC.  

I am half joking but it has to give better protection than those Styrofoam yamakas you call bicycle helmets.

And yes!, I am a Bucs fan. That just shows my dedication.   

.s-l1600.thumb.jpg.06d1d47c48c4295e9b2c305ff0c0be59.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That is a well designed, stylish helmet. Awesome how they incorporated the ear vents to reduce hearing impairment. It does look warm for summer months. I do like my Bell Super 3R as it saved my life. 

 

I rode almost every day with my 3R for the past year. It is a great helmet, but it is NOT warm in the winter. It has great airflow and is cool in the summer heat, but cold air passes though the vents over the scalp just as easily. When riding into the wind on cold winter days, the wind chill factor plus the speed you are traveling will give you brain freeze within a few short miles.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, litewave said:

I rode almost every day with my 3R for the past year. It is a great helmet, but it is NOT warm in the winter. It has great airflow and is cool in the summer heat, but cold air passes though the vents over the scalp just as easily. When riding into the wind on cold winter days, the wind chill factor plus the speed you are traveling will give you brain freeze within a few short miles.

i already have a good helmet. but i need one where i can hear so its no problem. and i need to defeat the heat now. its really damn hot. too hot for my helmet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Wheeling Dutchman said:

Hi guys,

First ever post, so nice to meet you! The main reason for registering was actually to discuss protective gear.
In particular, helmets.

I've been looking everywhere to find a suitable full-face helmet. My biggest issue is claustrophobia, then that the take so much of the view away.
A buddy of mine gave me a tip to look into paragliding helmets. They feature a much wider field of vision. Also I've noticed that some downhill long-boarders also use these helmets. After some looking into it I've found -what I hope- will be the perfect compromise!

As a matter of fact, it's arriving this afternoon. The weather's been kind in the Netherlands these past few days and I'm planning a nice ride of about 50-60kms, give it a go. If interested I could give a review after. Any things I should be looking out for especially?

 

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 12.50.12.png

Can you tell us the make and model number of the pictured helmet so we can look it up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I looked up those paragliding helmets and it looks like they would be great for EUC’s.  They are also used by high speed cyclists. They seem to be a lighter version of a dirt bike helmet. 

Thanks Wheeling Dutchman, that is just what I was looking for!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Can you tell us the make and model number of the pictured helmet so we can look it up?

It is an awesome helmet! If you want Marty save yourself some money send me your helmet and I will install some fancy speaker grills on top.  ?

40696415260_86f8cb8cbf_b.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Shad0z said:

damn i just need something like the bell just cheaper :I

Helmets with MIPs and detachable chin-bars are going to cost more. Occasionally the Super 2R (similar to the 3R) goes on sale for near $100USD, and it can sometimes be found for less on eBay. Bell also makes a stylish full-face MTB helmet called the Sanction which is relatively inexpensive; @Chris Westland was very happy with his, although he seems to have left the community after his accident (hopefully he is doing well). You should check out this thread from last year on lower-cost helmets with fixed chin bars. 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, litewave said:

Helmets with MIPs and detachable chin-bars are going to cost more. Occasionally the Super 2R (similar to the 3R) goes on sale for near $100USD, and it can sometimes be found for less on eBay. Bell also makes a stylish full-face MTB helmet called the Sanction which is relatively inexpensive; @Chris Westland was very happy with his, although he seems to have left the community after his accident (hopefully he is doing well). You should check out this thread from last year on lower-cost helmets with fixed chin bars. 

I dont care if the chinbar is detachable. As long as it has those holes for easy hearing or something like that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The Wheeling Dutchman said:

Glad to be of help @RockyTop,

Mine weighs in at just about 900gr including the visor, which is pretty nice!
I've tested it for a relatively short ride, but I can say it is very comfortable and light. Visibility is excellent too. On the top there are two mesh grids, that supposedly get you more airflow through the helmet, however this could've been better. The holes underneath the mesh are really quite small. I guess these can be made bigger, with some dedication and care. Also the visor tends to fog up quite a bit if you close it completely. I've kept it open a bit for most of the ride and this works just fine. I have to admit, it is probably not as safe as a cross/bike helmet, but I'm sure it can hold it's own against any downhill MTB or other bike helmets.
I've included some pictures to show how it fits.

Of course at the moment I'm very enthusiastic about my purchase. I'll give an update on this after a couple of weeks/months maybe, to see if I'm still as happy with it as I am now.

 

 

fullsizeoutput_247b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_247a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_247c.jpeg

It is a different certification than downhill helmets.  Haven’t figure out if it is better or worse.  I don’t understand all the testing.  It is on the expensive side. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...