Realistic speed limit for EUC's

eddiemoy

Congrats on your license. I hope riding is safer where you are than here. I rode 100 miles round trip into and out of London when I lived there and it was generally OK but I would never ride where I am now. I brought all my protective gear over with me but ended up putting it on Craigslist.

I had a full fairing tourer (Honda ST1100 Pan European). Fastest I went on it was 114mph but I was tucked way down behind the large screen. Did 95 on my Suzuki Katana and that was as much as I was happy to do with its sport/tourer hybrid fairing. I can't imagine those speeds on a naked bike. 50 on an EUC! You'd be leaning so far forward your probably be able to touch the ground with your fingers. Powerful stuff is air. It's why I always leave if a hurricane heads my way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I just got my motorcycle license last weekend.  I bought a 2018 Yamaha MT-07 as my first bike and have been riding it for the last couple of days.  It is a naked bike.  This means there is no windscreen and very little plastic parts to cover the body like in a sports bike.  Anyway, I've been noticing when I hit about 40mph is when the wind starts being unsettling.  When I hit 50mph, I cannot imagine anyone on a EUC being able to overcome the air resistance at this speed.  At 50mph, it starts to feel like I might be blown off my bike as there is so much force on my chest.  I'm a NOOB and I'm hanging on to the handles for dear life.  I've really only gone above 50mph today, my third riding session.  Scary shit.

So it would seem like a realistic speed limit for EUC's is somewhere below 50mph.  

Nice choice on the bike, ease into it and stay away from group rides for now.  ATGATT (all the gear all the time).  As for the speed you will get use to it, try to relax like on the EUC.  I'm happy for you... :cheers:

Now I know why they tell you to stay away from trucks in the training class.  Those buffeting winds can throw you around.  Today I was riding in 90+ degree weather.  After 20 minutes, I was drenched.  The only thing I don't have are motorcycle pants.  I wear everything else.  I can see how it can be addicting to ride.  You get the same feeling of freedom on the bike as you do on EUC.  I'm sure I will get used to the speed on the motorbike.  This is only my third session and I'm much more comfortable at higher speeds than I was before, even in turns.  

I think when electric bikes start being better than their gas counterpart like with Tesla, I'll probably convert.  LOL.  Until then, I'll stick with the faster, more range, gas one for 1/3 the price.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Now I know why they tell you to stay away from trucks in the training class.  Those buffeting winds can throw you around.  Today I was riding in 90+ degree weather.  After 20 minutes, I was drenched.  The only thing I don't have are motorcycle pants.  I wear everything else.  I can see how it can be addicting to ride.  You get the same feeling of freedom on the bike as you do on EUC.  I'm sure I will get used to the speed on the motorbike.  This is only my third session and I'm much more comfortable at higher speeds than I was before, even in turns.  

I think when electric bikes start being better than their gas counterpart like with Tesla, I'll probably convert.  LOL.  Until then, I'll stick with the faster, more range, gas one for 1/3 the price.

Look into HI-Vis Mesh jackets (people see right through you).  On my Concour 14, I keep the windshield as air regulator lol.  In hot summer the shield is down all the way to get the wind.  Matter of fact thinking about cutting my shield down on Ninja 650R.  Educate yourself, the knowledge will save you a lot of heart ache.  ;)

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Make sure you hydrate yourself, dehydration can become a major problem, especially on longer rides.  :cheers:

9 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I just got my motorcycle license last weekend. 

Congratulations!  I remember it being nerve racking going through the test course while the instructor watched every move. Take your time getting use to your new bike. 50 mph with no windscreen would be challenging.