San Mateo Police Confrontation

Andee

***POLICE CAR HONK SOUND***

"Hows it going officer?"

"You are riding without a helmet."

"Oh, I didnt know that was against the law. I love to comply with the law. What does the Law say?"

Thinks a bit, "Its a grey area."

"Oh... I see."

Awkward silence...

"Ok, carry on... And wear a helmet."

"Yes sir. Have a nice day officer!"

***Whirling sound of V8***....

BTW, I usually wear a helmet, but it was a short ride to the boba place and I left it in a very inconvenient place. I know, I know, pls dont flame me.

Glad to hear you made it through fine. I've gone out a couple of times without a helmet but at this point it's like when I drive without a seat belt, it just feels wrong. At least it didn't go like this:

*POLICE SIREN SOUND*

Officer1: What's up O'Malley?

Officer2: Some guy crashed on one of those electrical unicycle things. Hit his head. Wasn't wearing a helmet.

Officer1: Oh yeah? Where?

Officer2: Over near that curb. It's a gray area. (Thinks a bit) And lots of red too.

AND SCENE...

11 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I won't flame you, because you don't need to wear a helmet. That's a personal decision, and doesn't even sound like it is the law there. 

Its not and I never wore a helmet while growing up on doing extreme sports. However, I recently came to the conclusion that all should wear one while doing activities such as these. Not because you need it, but because others are observing you, and although immeasurable, you have some impact on their perspective regarding the topic. Thus, to normalize and help those who are not as competent, I yield. It costs me very little, but it can save another's life.

Correct, in California we are technically required to wear helmets, though many do not. We absolutely _should_ wear helmets doing this, but at the same time regulations are a bit overreaching - let grown adults make their own informed decisions.

17 hours ago, Andee said:

However, I recently came to the conclusion that all should wear one while doing activities such as these. Not because you need it, but because others are observing you, and although immeasurable, you have some impact on their perspective regarding the topic. 

I concur. Pedestrians that see a rider wearing protective gear have a higher level of respect for our sport knowing we are conscientious about safety. When I started riding over 2 years ago I did not wear a helmet when riding fast. Then some stranger at our lake yelled out “Get a Helmet”. I must say it did positively impact me. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I concur. Pedestrians that see a rider wearing protective gear have a higher level of respect for our sport knowing we are conscientious about safety. When I started riding over 2 years ago I did not wear a helmet when riding fast. Then some stranger at our lake yelled out “Get a Helmet”. I must say it did positively impact me. 

I think it's a balancing act. Too much visible gear and you go from being perceived as irresponsible regarding your own conduct to being a danger to them. This is why 90% of my gear is hidden except that which is socially unthreatening or impossible to hide. 

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I think it's a balancing act. Too much visible gear and you go from being perceived as irresponsible regarding your own conduct to being a danger to them. This is why 90% of my gear is hidden except that which is socially unthreatening or impossible to hide. 

The hidden/camouflaged approach is interesting. @WARPed1701D, I feel like it would be a bit bulgy, and not in the right places. Would you please elaborate on your gear?

@Andee

I have full body protection by the G-Form designed to go under your clothes. It uses non neutonion material that is spongy at rest but hardens upon impact. I have the Pro X Shirt that has pads for shoulder, collar bone, sternum, and ribs. Pro X Board and Ski shorts (now seemingly discontinued but a close alternative is still there) providing thigh, hip, coxyx, and sit bone protection. These are certified to EU standards for indoor sport usage. Then I have the Elite elbow and knee pads which are EU certified for motorcycle use. All is very comfortable. Only the elbow protection feels a little tight on the inside of the elbow of the arm is bent over 90 degrees. It all fits nicely under my work clothes so I can ride to work and walk in the office without looking like Robocop. I then just go to the restroom and strip the base layer off. If you are in a hurry it can be a pain to put on and take off but I feel it to be worth it. 

If I'm running late I've walked straight into a meeting wearing it all bar the elbow pads (as the can be easily removed without stripping) and no one knows I'm geared up and I barely notice it is still there. I've ridden to restaurants and done the same. 

I live in Florida and have not found the gear to add much heat at all, even in summer.

Visible gear is :

My helmet (Giro Switchblade) which I feel is socially acceptable. 

My wrist guards (Demon Flex meters) which are partially hidden by my open shirt sleeves. 

The waist belt of my back protector (POC Spine VPD 2.0) . The rest is hidden under my backpack and some may assume the belt is part of the pack. 

My leather hiking boots which provide ankle and toe protection and just look like shoes. 

34 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

@Andee

I have full body protection by the G-Form designed to go under your clothes. It uses non neutonion material that is spongy at rest but hardens upon impact. I have the Pro X Shirt that has pads for shoulder, collar bone, sternum, and ribs. Pro X Board and Ski shorts (now seemingly discontinued but a close alternative is still there) providing thigh, hip, coxyx, and sit bone protection. These are certified to EU standards for indoor sport usage. Then I have the Elite elbow and knee pads which are EU certified for motorcycle use. All is very comfortable. Only the elbow protection feels a little tight on the inside of the elbow of the arm is bent over 90 degrees. It all fits nicely under my work clothes so I can ride to work and walk in the office without looking like Robocop. I then just go to the restroom and strip the base layer off. If you are in a hurry it can be a pain to put on and take off but I feel it to be worth it. 

If I'm running late I've walked straight into a meeting wearing it all bar the elbow pads (as the can be easily removed without stripping) and no one knows I'm geared up and I barely notice it is still there. I've ridden to restaurants and done the same. 

I live in Florida and have not found the gear to add much heat at all, even in summer.

Visible gear is :

My helmet (Giro Switchblade) which I feel is socially acceptable. 

My wrist guards (Demon Flex meters) which are partially hidden by my open shirt sleeves. 

The waist belt of my back protector (POC Spine VPD 2.0) . The rest is hidden under my backpack and some may assume the belt is part of the pack. 

My leather hiking boots which provide ankle and toe protection and just look like shoes. 

Wow... thanks for the write up.
That is a lot of gear$$$... I will have to process some of this.

Wearing a helmet is good, yes, but realize exactly what current helmet tech is protecting you against (skull fractures) and what it IS NOT protecting you from (concussions).

I’ve seen the phenomenon where eboarders here in NYC will drive crazier (middle of the street in heavy car traffic) because they feel they are invincibile wearing a helmet, when they really aren’t. Same increased risks when a rider gets too comfortable and blazé when traveling the same comfortable and familiar roads, not paying enough attention.

Education and defensive riding is waaaay more important IMHO than wearing a helmet, but humans are visual creatures, not always logical, so a helmet plays visually safer. Same reason why fans can excuse such sports as professional boxing and the NFL / American Football, even though we now well know players’  headgear is not preventing concussions / CTE.

Ok, I’m ready for my flaming now ???

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Wearing a helmet is good, yes, but realize exactly what current helmet tech is protecting you against (skull fractures) and what it IS NOT protecting you from (concussions).

I’ve seen the phenomenon where eboarders here in NYC will drive crazier (middle of the street in heavy car traffic) because they feel they are invincibile wearing a helmet, when they really aren’t. Same increased risks when a rider gets too comfortable and blazé when traveling the same comfortable and familiar roads, not paying enough attention.

Education and defensive riding is waaaay more important IMHO than wearing a helmet, but humans are visual creatures, not always logical, so a helmet plays visually safer. Same reason why fans can excuse such sports as professional boxing and the NFL / American Football, even though we now well know players’  headgear is not preventing concussions / CTE.

Ok, I’m ready for my flaming now ???

No flaming. You make a valid point. The fact is educated and defensive riding will reduce the chance you need a helmet by decreasing your risk and frequency of falling. But when the shit hits the fan (and eventually it will regardless of how safe you are) a helmet can save you life. Wearing a helmet without the apparent invincible god complex that can go with it is the best combination. 

Frankly, if you think a helmet makes you invincible you might as well not bother. There is clearly nothing in there worth protecting. 

35 minutes ago, Andee said:

Wow... thanks for the write up.
That is a lot of gear$$$... I will have to process some of this.

I accept I'm probably overboard but I value all the adventures I've yet to have in life too much to risk serious or permanent injury now. Many don't believe bad things will happen to them... But it can and probably will at some point. When I rode motorbikes I was the same and always wore full gear. I'm not risk averse. That's boring. But I do manage it. 

Total cost of my gear was about 2/3 the cost of my wheel. It is what it is.

Archived