UK police wanting to contact me

Cannings

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

I heard EUC in Finland is legal.

Only the ones with less than 1000W motor, and 25km/h top speed... Especially the latter should make me very easy to bust. No contact with a police yet though, as I have tried to avoid them.

But as @dismason wrote, proper behavior and outlook and they might well be on our side. So definitely not the worst country for EUCing.

Having tried to get a response from my MP, the mayor of London and others, so far with no success, I am thoroughly depressed at the complete lack of interest by the government. Our cities are polluted, our roads are gridlocked and they constantly say they want to reduce car usage ... but apparently they are not really bothered about it. 

Personal electric transport is here and it aint going away. If our wheels are technically illegal then what about these - 

Same thing in essence but can you really see plod pulling someone over on a pair of self-balancing skates? Where does it stop. 

The idiots in Westminster are going to have to recognize PET at some point but as usual the UK will be sticking its head in the sand until forced to confront anything new. 

That's what happens with government bureaucrats--takes our tax dollars and don't want to work. Fast in collection, slow in delivery! In California, we have similar issues. Laws and regulations are so outdated. Bicyclists can ride in any speed, no one enforces the 15mph where it is posted. But in the same area where bicyclists are flying around 35 to 45mph, they won't let EUCs on these roads such as the Golden Gate Bridge, many trails of East Bay regional parks...etc. State legislation supports green vehicles such as EUCs, but localities are not on the same pages. I think it may take a great number of us, EUC riders to gather together and vocalize and demand changes in rules and regulations. Let's coordinate, have a global EUC day and be heard!

1 hour ago, scubadragosan said:

That's what happens with government bureaucrats--takes our tax dollars and don't want to work. Fast in collection, slow in delivery! In California, we have similar issues. Laws and regulations are so outdated. Bicyclists can ride in any speed, no one enforces the 15mph where it is posted. But in the same area where bicyclists are flying around 35 to 45mph, they won't let EUCs on these roads such as the Golden Gate Bridge, many trails of East Bay regional parks...etc. State legislation supports green vehicles such as EUCs, but localities are not on the same pages. I think it may take a great number of us, EUC riders to gather together and vocalize and demand changes in rules and regulations. Let's coordinate, have a global EUC day and be heard!

Exactly the same in germany ?

Somehow I can relate this topic with the e-cigs/vaping first time when they appeared. So much resistance and confusion until the breakthrough. Of course it's not the same topic, but I think somehow, we need to mobilize ourselves and make some noise. Until then we'll remain unheard. I honestly hate taking my car to work. The traffic is horrible, pollution is high and there is nowhere you can park. Something's gotta give!!

i also think they would be worried about road conditions pot holes etc and claims going in , but we do have cycle lanes and pavements it doesn't make sense these days all they go on about is pollution, traffic congestion and need to do something about it ,and here's a bit of a solution and what do they do,,, ban everything electric especially through a law from 1870s when the was no modern technology .. electric cars is ok, electric bikes and disability scooters anything else is a big NO

i have ridden past several police though and the said nothing I'm riding more on roads lately in the cycle lane though it really is nice to have freedom but i always worry about the police

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45034972

Any government official who refuses to acknowledge the benefit of electric transpiration and push to bring its legal status up for discussion in Parliament is basically complicit in manslaughter of the general public. Solutions to this problem exist if the powers that be knock down the barriers to their adoption. 

On 5/29/2018 at 2:02 AM, Cannings said:

well....:

Paul

My name is Alex and I am the PCSO for Hartford. I am the one who wanted to speak to you regarding the unicycle.

Is the unicycle registered as anything other than a Segway/hover board/solo wheel ?

If it has no further certification then it is actually considered as a mechanically propelled vehicle which cannot be ridden on pavements in England under section 72 of the Highways Act. You are also not permitted to ride Segway’s on the road as they are not permitted under the road traffic law as they are not certificated.

I was unaware of this until a member of the public brought it to my attention so I must ask that you stop using your vehicle on the pavement and the road. If you don’t you could be liable for a £50 fine and the vehicle could be seized under section 59 of the police reform act.

I know that this must be disappointing to you however the there is lots of information on the web regarding the restricted use of Segway’s on the public highway.

There was a test case for this in 2011 whereby a judge defined a Segway as a mechanically propelled vehicle and issues the defendant with a £75 fine plus £265 court costs.

At this moment Segway’s or other related vehicles are only to be used on private land.

If you need more information then please contact me

PCSO Alex Haskell

Cheshire Constabulary

This is why we threw all their tea into Boston harbor, then authored the 2nd amendment to the constitution.  

On 7/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, scubadragosan said:
5 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

This is why we threw all their tea into Boston harbor, then authored the 2nd amendment to the constitution.  

At least, you've done something. 

But why the hell is it that different in Europe? Germany the same as Great Britain? Denmark and Finland allowed!

Actually, the EUC's are NOT Mechanical Propelled Vehicles. This is clearly stated into EUCs Certificates of Conformity. I have personally contacted Gotway and retrieved the CoC and Ive contacted the Vehicle registration Tax Authority for Legally registering my EUC. The response received from the Vehicle Registration Tax clearly states that the EUC (Gotway MSuper X - as others) are NOT classified as MPVs. Period. So I would ask the gentlemen who made the above comment Mr. Haskell to inform himself before making such statements. 

And one more thing: This intimidation must stop once and for all.

Riders, please start fighting back by legally demonstrating what it is and what it is not a MPV to your local authorities. It is not enough for no country on this planet to say NO, covering their lack of understanding of the laws. Police is NOT the body deciding what is allowed or not in this matter. The laws are. Your steps are:

1. Get a copy of your Certificate of Conformity from your manufacturer. These are often published on their websites.

2. Reach then to the legal body in your country which is registering vehicles on the road (in Ireland it's the Vehicle Registration Tax Authority)

Police is there (as per below Utube video) only for enforcing your conclusion. 

On 7/25/2018 at 6:32 PM, scubadragosan said:

I think the first step would be to try and collect statistical data about EUC worldwide. For example, does anyone know how many EUC's have been sold up until now? How many of the sold units are actually used on a regular basis, where, by whom and how? At any rate, we need a coordinated approach that helps us bundle our activities and  efforts. 

On 5/28/2018 at 3:56 AM, ir_fuel said:

Funny you mention this in the UK, the country of the street-legal kit car. I don't think there is any country like that in the EU where you can legally register anything as long as it has 4 wheels, an engine and the legally required lights + license plates.

1200px-ArielAtomGoodwood.jpg

Not wanting to take away from your point, but that's not a kit car. It's an Ariel Atom. It's a street legal, factory-built, light-weight sports car.

Here in California they are imported in parts, so they can be built and registered as a kit car under the SB100 rules, as they're otherwise not street legal. The same is done for Caterham 7s and (a small number of) BAC Monos, but normally those vehicles are not kit cars. In the UK, they meet all MOT requirements.

4 hours ago, Jon Stern said:
On 5/28/2018 at 6:56 AM, ir_fuel said:

Funny you mention this in the UK, the country of the street-legal kit car. I don't think there is any country like that in the EU where you can legally register anything as long as it has 4 wheels, an engine and the legally required lights + license plates. 

1200px-ArielAtomGoodwood.jpg

Not wanting to take away from your point, but that's not a kit car. It's an Ariel Atom.

Maybe a four wheel add-on kit will qualify an euc as a kit-car?

5-wheel.jpg.3520e5c2b392707ea6df5cfc5f7edd3d.jpg

Just glue on four wheels (they don't have to be functional).

Chair wheels, toy wheels, any ol' wheels and you're all legal!

14 hours ago, RayRay said:

Maybe a four wheel add-on kit will qualify an euc as a kit-car?

5-wheel.jpg.3520e5c2b392707ea6df5cfc5f7edd3d.jpg

Just glue on four wheels (they don't have to be functional).

Chair wheels, toy wheels, any ol' wheels and you're all legal!

But won't be able to ride anymore :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 7:26 PM, Jon Stern said:

Not wanting to take away from your point, but that's not a kit car. It's an Ariel Atom. It's a street legal, factory-built, light-weight sports car.

I know what they are. A few friends have one. ;) 

Fact is that it's crazy what you can get on license plates in the UK.

Archived