UK police wanting to contact me

Cannings

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cannings said:

Well i've just received my reply from the department of transport MP basically telling me which hole to poke my email into, i'll post pics later

Meaning they blew you off? I feel like they don’t and won’t care until we get one of those scooter startups in London raising hell. Too much paperwork for so few users. 

1 hour ago, mix said:

For EUC drivers in the US, I happen to see this one http://www.segway.com/support/regulatory-information  which relates to EPAMD (Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device). I'm new to EUC , in this forum and have been riding for a month now.

The specific wording describes an "original" Segway, thus the "two non tandem wheels". That quoted statement wiped out electric kick scooters in PA. I hated Segway with a passion at that time. That statement still haunts us because although eucs are self balancing they only have one wheel. Ninebot-Segway needs to get that definition upgraded. They have the where-withal to get it done. OneWheel, which are actually made in the USA may have even more influence. We need to get out of the grey.

1 hour ago, Jerome said:

The specific wording describes an "original" Segway, thus the "two non tandem wheels". That quoted statement wiped out electric kick scooters in PA. I hated Segway with a passion at that time. That statement still haunts us because although eucs are self balancing they only have one wheel. Ninebot-Segway needs to get that definition upgraded. They have the where-withal to get it done. OneWheel, which are actually made in the USA may have even more influence. We need to get out of the grey.

yup. I guess manufacturers need to do something about it ............

Section  5.  The  Illinois  Vehicle  Code  is  amended by
adding  Sections  1-117.7,  11-1005.1,  and   11-1412.2   and
changing Sections 11-208.2 and 11-1412.1 as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/1-117.7 new)
    Sec.   1-117.7.  Electric   personal  assistive  mobility
device.   A  self-balancing  2  non-tandem   wheeled   device
designed  to  transport  only  one  person  with  an electric
propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device
to 15 miles per hour or less.

Tennessee said that they are bicycles and they must follow bicycle laws and no law can say otherwise ( unless you have a really good reason) 

You mean it is supposed to have two wheels!?  I knew there was something wrong with mine!!  

Just became aware of the case of ANUS vs. USA (1999) while doing research... :roflmao:

This has nothing to do with euc's (more like wheeled sled racing), but it was mentioned on another unicycle forum unicyclist.com. (Some group decided to call themselves the American National Unimotorcyclists Society.) I think it goes without saying, we would not want to be associated with this group (or the term 'Unimotorcyclists') from now on...

4 minutes ago, RayRay said:

LOL. I think here in Florida... Just go to sidecar-willy.com :efefd8a002:

I was afraid to open that link up at work. I thought it was something like lemonadestand used to be.

I was in London and didn't like it too much, lack of diversity of good food, cultures, products... Now hearing about cops harassing EUC riders, I am definitely not going there again...

Countries that don't recognize EUC as an acceptable means of transport and make room for them are backward!

47 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

I was in London and didn't like it too much, lack of diversity of good food, cultures, products... Now hearing about cops harassing EUC riders, I am definitely not going there again...

Really?? which part of London did you visit? London is included in the 10 most multicultural cities in the world, google it. Also, I have been riding for nearly 3 years and have never been harassed, ever by the police, pretty much the opposite. 

I think I was in city center London. Maybe whether or not I like it is very subjective. Relative to San Francisco, London definitely is not as diverse. Regarding riding EUC in London, I am only reacting to the post here by someone who got harassed by police. I am glad to have another perspective. Is there a place in London you can rent a KingSong wheel? Any recommendations/suggestions? Any good, safe routes to ride on?

13 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

I am only reacting to the post here

If you think about it, you are just about condemning a whole country or city based on ONE person posting about his negative encounter with ONE police officer. Perhaps you should include the riders that haven’t been harrassed into the statistics.

It's a shame that the "we're so under funded, we can't investigate anything short of murder" British Police can be bothered to take this citizens complaint seriously.  You can't get the police to investigate anything here, unless it falls on their statistics sheet.  I'm pretty sure EUC riding is not on their "crimes to be monitored" statistics sheet.  Even stuff they are supposed to handle and report, they do not (recent headline, and over 1,100 systematically raped girls in Rochdale over the last 15 years, and other towns too).  Seriously, if you want to be a petty criminal, come here, the police just can't be bothered (and I have personal experience, as a victim, of this lethargy).

It's pretty much a lawless country, people just haven't figured it out yet.

Condemnation is way too strong a word. Opinions do change overtime and everyone is entitled. I heard EUC in Finland is legal. So when I travel, Finland would definitely, highly considered. I always keep an open mind... like a good scientists. 

28 minutes ago, Smoother said:

It's a shame that the "we're so under funded, we can't investigate anything short of murder" British Police can be bothered to take this citizens complaint seriously.  You can't get the police to investigate anything here, unless it falls on their statistics sheet.  I'm pretty sure EUC riding is not on their "crimes to be monitored" statistics sheet.  Even stuff they are supposed to handle and report, they do not (recent headline, and over 1,100 systematically raped girls in Rochdale over the last 15 years, and other towns too).  Seriously, if you want to be a petty criminal, come here, the police just can't be bothered (and I have personal experience, as a victim, of this lethargy).

It's pretty much a lawless country, people just haven't figured it out yet.

I agree 100% with your funding comments and your disappointment that most minor and many serious crimes go uninvestigated. What is important to note here is that this complaint was investigated by PCSO Haskell. Police Community Support Officer. A civilian police support person. Non-warranted. Basically half a cop. While there aren't enough real police to deal with crime investigation these lot appear to have time to waste hassling people minding their own business between directing traffic, crowd control, speed traps, and nicking booze off of kids in the park.

Even the shameful government and the Police Federation have their doubts about their usefulness. 

35 minutes ago, scubadragosan said:

Condemnation is way too strong a word. Opinions do change overtime and everyone is entitled. I heard EUC in Finland is legal. So when I travel, Finland would definitely, highly considered. I always keep an open mind... like a good scientists. 

Hi,

It was not a long time ago that I was waiting to cross a road during the rush hour. After a while of waiting, a police car stopped near by me and they stopped the traffic in both directions so I could cross the street. 
So in the city of Kotka, the authorities have a positive attitude to EUC-drivers (i'm the only one :facepalm:). It's a reason for that: I follow all traffic rules, respect traffic lights (do not cross the street if the light is red) and I use good protection gears.
Regards from Finland
Carl

On 7/12/2018 at 8:15 AM, bluewheel said:

Im very disappointed in the lack on involvement of the EUCs sellers in the UK. It seems that for them making a quick buck is more important than helping the riders. Not cool ?

To shed some light, we've been involved in a number of lobbying projects, every one of which was too costly for a small business size to carry forward on a long-term basis.  To give you a sense of scale, the quotes provided by the proper lobbyist were varying between £20-50k per month. And even at that stage the companies we spoke with did not guarantee any positive or even neutral outcome as, quoting one of these professionals: "With Brexit on the line, it is extremely hard to engage in a meaningful conversation with much of the key personnel". Simply said, we'd acquire the support of the MPs of some distant regions, the vote and parliamentary power of which won't be able to tilt the scale. 

On the note of 'quick buck', really sad that it may seem this way for you. We've been on the market since 2014, practically breastfeeding the infant that was the UK EUC market back then. Reinvested a lot of revenue into product publicity projects like these two:
https://proj42.co.uk/blog/national-appeal-bring-electric-vehicles-back-to-the-streets/
https://proj42.co.uk/blog/electric-vehicles-in-the-society-beyoglu-police-case/
Ian of Speedyfeet had done multiple long hikes around the country, documented by some local media. 
So I'd strongly disagree that we're in it for a quick buck. There are plenty of ebay-type resellers that closely match that description, however, so I can relate to your statement on some levels. 

Well - Im not sure how the Turkish Police would be added to the list of ''lobby'' for the benefit of the UK riders. Honestly.

In terms of the effort for lobbying the UK officials, yes, I agree (and I apologize at same time) but it looks like the efforts need to be channeled someplace else. Perhaps organizing weekly city rides, invite police to dialogue, show them how a wheel operates, donate a few pieces to UK Police this time.. maybe? 

24 minutes ago, bluewheel said:

Well - Im not sure how the Turkish Police would be added to the list of ''lobby'' for the benefit of the UK riders. Honestly.

In terms of the effort for lobbying the UK officials, yes, I agree (and I apologize at same time) but it looks like the efforts need to be channeled someplace else. Perhaps organizing weekly city rides, invite police to dialogue, show them how a wheel operates, donate a few pieces to UK Police this time.. maybe? 

The police enforce the law, they don't make it. Lobbying the cops will achieve little other than bringing EUCs and the archaic law that classifies them to their attention. If you want to stay on a cops good side then it's much better to ride responsibly in relation to the conditions with good illumination and protection. If they see someone who appears to be acting responsibly then they will likely not bother with you unless they get a complaint from someone with nothing better to do. Then you get the PCSOs giving you grief as in this case.

47 minutes ago, bluewheel said:

I agree, it doesn't directly tackle the UK issue. However, it sets a precedent that we can use while establishing the dialogue with the cabinets. This is why we put some effort to shape it as a case study. It reflects that not only is it safe for the general public to use these vehicles, but they are also reliable enough to serve as professional transport. 

18 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The police enforce the law, they don't make it.

Basically all you have to say about establishing the relationship there. It's simply the same as inviting the police officers to your crossbow range and donating them a few units.  

Archived