King Song 14D cut out...writing this from hospital

King Llama

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

This ninebot seems to cut off on smooth asphalt.  It shows over and over in slower and slower motion.  Nothing in the description that tells what caused it.  Looks like he was going pretty fast, but no tiltback.

This video looks suspicious: wheel looks newish, but has weird side covers with noob leg padding (einradwerkstatt mod?); foot position uneven/sloppy; pedal pitch appears to be calibrated forward; and the camera is at the ready. This was staged.

19 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I'd agree wirh @esaj that most incidents come from "not knowing the limits of the wheel" ("operator faults"). These limits are not in any way intuitive - there is no real "feedback loop", so one can "safely" approach the limits... The physics of wheels operation take quite some study to understand - and understanding wont reliably help to avoid all incidents... :(

Also the longer a wheel worked fine, the higher the chance it won't get a "sudden fault" (knocking in wood - like with my wheels till now). Just with age some connection probs/wire breaks could occur, electric gyroscopes could not be the most reliable over time. The aging of the liion cells (as ? @US69 ? stated) could be the first "real" aging prob showing up. Especially with the low cell voltage cut-off from the BMS ? @novazeus? wrote (not sure if this is eliminated with all new wheels? Just GW have absolutely no charge side cutoff?)

how often would you recommend getting a service for your wheel. I've bought knee pads elbow pads wrist guards etc i do ride sensible but this stuff did worry me sometime when reading these posts I've only been riding a week and loving it i have the kingsong ks16s just need to know where to send for service but i suppose it could fault anytime ? do you think the should be a second safety measure in case the wheel did fault some sort of back up

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Had any of those parameters been even slightly different, I would have experienced flight without wings...

That was both cockiness and environment doing their level best to f--- me over.

@Scatcat you are drinking too much redbull, giving you wings?

And yes there are 2 things I dislike when riding. Wannabe fasttrack pro cyclist that forgot it is a public cycle path and people with dogs going about not realizing potential if their dog starts to reach to a bypasser.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

There might be something wrong with your E+

u may be right. 

i just rode my e+ after a night of charging. ran it up to 14mph with no sign of tiltback, no beeps, nothing. 

i have the pedal settings at zero and still lots of play in the pedals. it’s visible when standing still and rocking back and forth. i’ve got 6 other wheels and none are like that.

after watching these crash videos, and having 6 other wheels, makes me not want to ride it at all. 

i bought all these little wheels, 2 s1’s and the e+ in anticipation of teaching my gfs how to ride but since they can fail at any time, i’ll probably never put any of them on one. when i tell them they have to put on a full face helmet, wristguards, elbow pads, gloves, motorcycle jacket, knee pads, ankle protectors, and adequate foot protection, all i’ll see is a cloud of dust from them running away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

@Scatcat you are drinking too much redbull, giving you wings?

And yes there are 2 things I dislike when riding. Wannabe fasttrack pro cyclist that forgot it is a public cycle path and people with dogs going about not realizing potential if their dog starts to reach to a bypasser.

Ah, that's the solution, drinking red bull before riding!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 10:35 AM, US69 said:

Esaj has said

Every wheel can fail at any time!

I would even go that far that its no question if a wheel will fail...its just a question of time!

And that has nothing to do with any kind of brand.

WORDS OF WISDOM!

UKJ

I am very happy I reread this now, as again start to have to much confidence, and not wearing helmet only wrist guards and going way to fast!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UKJ said:

WORDS OF WISDOM!

UKJ

I am very happy I reread this now, as again start to have to much confidence, and not wearing helmet only wrist guards and going way to fast!

Learn from the experience of others. It hurts less.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2018 at 5:28 AM, litewave said:

This video looks suspicious: wheel looks newish, but has weird side covers with noob leg padding (einradwerkstatt mod?); foot position uneven/sloppy; pedal pitch appears to be calibrated forward; and the camera is at the ready. This was staged.

I have experienced something like that on my old 9b1 E+. It turned out to be faulty battery. I experienced several cut off, when approaching 28% of battery.
And I must say that my wheel was around 20 km only passed! Just faulty battery, and I returned wheel to seller, who confirmed my diagnosis.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, Hippvs said:

I have experienced something like that on my old 9b1 E+. It turned out to be faulty battery. I experienced several cut off, when approaching 28% of battery.
And I must say that my wheel was around 20 km only passed! Just faulty battery, and I returned wheel to seller, who confirmed my diagnosis.

I made this post (after 5,000 km trouble-free on E+ batteries) but before I experienced two battery cut-out faceplants later last year - both on new Ninebot "P" batteries I purchased from Speedyfeet. I later discovered posts in the forum about P batteries being prone to cut-outs. Fortunately, no cut-outs so far on the E+ batteries I own (fingers crossed) after 8,000km. I was wrong and a little harsh in my post above, and was probably overreacting to some (wrongheaded) Ninebot bashing elsewhere on the forum.

Edited by litewave

Wow, 8000km, I'm impressed. I have only 2000km on mine (starting from March 2019).
Currently have original battery plus @1RadWerkstatt expansion kit, its about 708Wh. Works very well. 
Hope I also will make 8000 km on it, without any cut-outs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and to EUC's. I have been riding a KS-14D for a couple of months now and I found this thread. I really think it's fun, but Oh my goodness, what if I get a cut out. I have had a few falls that were not too serious, a couple falls that were really painful on my first day learning. Now that I'm proficient and enjoy my wheel so much I would feel like such a fool when I have read this thread if I got a cutout. Yet, what a loss it would be to not get to ride anymore, because it's such a good outlet for me. I had been thinking about upgrading to a Nikola, then got concerned about cutouts. I just didn't realized that there was that kind of failure that could strike at any moment. I knew it was risky, but seeing the result on a wheel that I am currently riding gives me pause. Thanks for posting this King Llama if you are still around. I hope you are okay.

• Like 1