King Song 14D cut out...writing this from hospital

King Llama

Sorry to hear that, what do you think was the cause of the cut out?  over leaning? Low  Battery? Pothole? 

• Like 1

Battery was at 80% so definitely not battery. 

Honestly, I have no idea. I’m going to have to inspect the wheel for some kind of damage or issue with the control board. 

Unfortunately, that may have been my last ride. 

• Upvote 1

Good luck with the diagnosis of your injuries, jopefully nothing too serious.

42 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This yet again reinforces the argument for a full face helmet. A regular open face helmet just doesn't cut it for EUC use. Apart from avoiding some serious injury it may also allow you to continue riding after the fact rather than face the possibility of quitting altogether due to the mental trauma of the injury experience

+1 for wrist guards too.

Yep that's really the takeaway here. A regular helmet won' help with faceplants. Also wrist guards, as usual:efee8319ab:

1 hour ago, King Llama said:

The funny thing is that I've been a jiujitsu practitioner my whole life and have learned how to roll and fall properly.

You don't stand a chance on the wheel due to the failure mode of the wheel. In other words, your feet go out from under you as the wheel dies and basically brakes due to motor drag. You have no chance of taking a step forward during that time and initiating a roll.

Full face helmet + full arm and leg pads + wrist guards is the only way I would ever ride again in the future (which if I'm being honest, I probably will).

The timing could not have been worse because I had two weeks of no health insurance because I just turned 26 and I had a two week period during which my insurance was transitioning. If I had to have wrist surgery, this fall could have easily cost me tens of thousands of dollars.

I've certainly learned an important lesson here...

Can you tell us what type of helmet that you were wearing? Thanks.

• Upvote 2

I'm really glad you posted pictures.  When you said the skin abrasions were bad, I didn't really pay much attention because I'm more worried about bone breaks.  Actually seeing the road burn makes me realize how painful it would be.  

It's funny because I've been holding off on getting a full-faced helmet because money is tight right now.  I keep crossing my fingers that I'm not going to get burned for waiting for a deal.  

Your comment about the timing of your insurance is haunting.  Murphy's Law.  It's why I just know I'm going to eat it face first the day my helmet is arriving.  Right now, I go helmet and wrist guards, and keep my speed reasonable.  My next move after the full-face helmet is probably knee pads.  

Regarding the lack of time to roll, there was a guy here a week ago humble-bragging about how his rolling ability saved him in a 50km/h+ crash wearing zero protection.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ouch. Bloody hell that looks like it stings. Thanks for swallowing your pride and posting the pictures. Already you can see it is having a positive effect on the thoughts of others.

Great to hear your bones are all in one piece and that you might roll on one wheel again with the necessary extra gear. Sorry about the watch. :wacko:

All the gear, all the time. It's the only way. 

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 2

this is why of all the forums i've ever participated in, this forum sb the most frequented of them all. it's call self preservation.

i wish there was some way to notify all the ks14d owners of these failures.

i'm looking at my ks18s and ks16s a little differently tn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, King Llama said:

Thanks for the support.

Good news, I just received my results back from the X-ray and although my wrist is severely sprained, I did not fracture any bones. I basically came away with just two stitches and a lot of skin damage, but nothing too serious.

I've attached some pictures for reference and to maybe convince people to wear even more safety gear. I will definitely be picking up a full face helmet. You can't really see my stitches in these photos but you can see how I landed on my face. You can see how my eyes were protected by the safety glasses.

Also, my Apple Watch didn't survive the crash but somehow my phone was completely unscathed. I have a bunch of scrapes over my legs and hips, but didn't include those pictures.

One thing that is really frustrating to me is that after updating the app, the DarknessBot app changed my alarm settings on my wheel without warning me. This seems really dangerous to me and it may have contributed to my crash. It reset my alarm settings to no alarms except for a final alarm at top speed. I did change the settings back to my usual settings on the app, but I did notice that the alarm was not as responsive and was not going off in the same consistent manner as before. Maybe that should have been some kind of warning sign, I don't know. Still trying to figure out exactly what happened...

face.jpg

arm.jpg

Mmmnn… That looks stingy!

Glad you're okay man, i've put myself in a position where I don't really have much of an option as my wheel "is" my transport to work and fuck walking after owning an euc lol. Pad up and get back on just like when you fell off your bike learning when you were 3, or grinding the clutch when learning to drive (americans probably can't relate to this one :P) we only learn from our falls, after mine I never go on that piece of pavement if i can help it as after re-inspection the pavement has what I can only explain of a sink in a line not big in any which way it kind of looks like this:

----------------\/----------------

but it is the perfect storm of if you're going over it, the wheel starts dipping into it but as its only small hits the peak of the curve on the other side and really doesn't take much to push you forward because of the counter momentum add that to the increased power draw due to the bang is what I think happened to me.

• Like 2