Calibration angle — how do you ride?

who_the

I recently re-calibrated my MSuper V3, and re-confirmed that an 8.0-degree forward tilt is my ideal setting. Wondering if this is extreme or where it falls on the spectrum of wheel calibrations out there. I ride fairly fast and (safely) aggressive in urban conditions with poor pavement conditions. I tried a variety of less forward tilt angles when I recalibrated and none felt as comfortable as my original. Thoughts?

IMG_20180422_152925245.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a kingsong ks16s how do i calibrate it to have a + or - degree I've read instructions but i can't tilt it when it's on cause it goes forward or backward ? any info please

28 minutes ago, stephen said:

I've got a kingsong ks16s how do i calibrate it to have a + or - degree I've read instructions but i can't tilt it when it's on cause it goes forward or backward ? any info please

One needs to start the calibration procedure with the app to change the tilt angle.

5 hours ago, who_the said:

I recently re-calibrated my MSuper V3, and re-confirmed that an 8.0-degree forward tilt is my ideal setting. Wondering if this is extreme or where it falls on the spectrum of wheel calibrations out there. I ride fairly fast and (safely) aggressive in urban conditions with poor pavement conditions. I tried a variety of less forward tilt angles when I recalibrated and none felt as comfortable as my original. Thoughts?

IMG_20180422_152925245.jpg

8 degrees :blink1: Wow, I would feel like I'm about to slide off the wheel ;)

Interesting that so many people use such large offsets, particularly with the toes pointing downward. I'm going to have to experiment more because I always ride level. Hmmm.

• Upvote 1

+3 degree forward tilt on my V8. Mainly due to the fact that I ride near tiltback and InMotion firmware seems to flare the pedals up just a few degrees when you are a couple of MPH away from the set tiltback speed ( a gentle advanced warning). As I cruise just below tiltback it means that most of the time my pedals have lifted just enough to level out. I'd never heard of people riding much more than + 3 degrees. I'll have to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

One needs to start the calibration procedure with the app to change the tilt angle.

yeah i did it through the app i press confirm then i have to hold the power button to set it for 5 seconds but how do i set the degree please.. do i have to put it on a incline or something?

If i understand correctly, forward tilt means the front is lower and the back is higher. 

Under that definition, I ride with about a 5 degree backwards tilt so that the front is higher. Maybe a little less. This makes it so that when standing level I get a little acceleration and it becomes easier to stop suddenly. I don't ever ride full speed because the roads here are pretty bad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephen said:

yeah i did it through the app i press confirm then i have to hold the power button to set it for 5 seconds but how do i set the degree please.. do i have to put it on a incline or something?

What happens when you reverse direction on a wheel with non zero tilt ? (you go forward and then go backward). As I understand the tilt will have to 'transition' to be the same as before but in opposite direction. So if you have tilt set to 8 degrees your wheel will tilt 16 degrees when you switch direction and go from forward to backward. And while your toes were lower than heels when you were going forward now the heels will be lower than toes. Is this what happens with non zero tilt or I am missing something ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greenhorse said:

What happens when you reverse direction on a wheel with non zero tilt ? (you go forward and then go backward). As I understand the tilt will have to 'transition' to be the same as before but in opposite direction. So if you have tilt set to 8 degrees your wheel will tilt 16 degrees when you switch direction and go from forward to backward. And while your toes were lower than heels when you were going forward now the heels will be lower than toes. Is this what happens with non zero tilt or I am missing something ?

Good question. I only go forward so I haven’t a clue. Im interested to find out though

As the KS-16S doesn’t have a slider but the position is decided manually, it doesn’t adapt to a reverse direction. You would just ride with an opposite calibration.

I would think that the ones with a calibration slider behave the same. It would be nasty to have the wheel tilt back and forth when you impatiently idle at traffic lights.

All my wheels always have backwards tilt, about 3 degrees. Im not sure how people ride with forward tilt?   When I ride at speed there is way too much pressure on my toes with forward angle.

i still can't get to calibrate my ks16s I've tried the instructions I've looked on YouTube but it's a different version app I'm on 1.47 and there's only the one i can't use a leveling as as the pedals are slanted upwards ?

41 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

All my wheels always have backwards tilt, about 3 degrees. Im not sure how people ride with forward tilt?   When I ride at speed there is way too much pressure on my toes with forward angle.

Maybe it's related to body posture while riding? I also have backwards tilt and that's mainly because with forward tilt I feel like slipping away from pedals while braking (and that's when you want to have 100% control of your wheel).

44 minutes ago, stephen said:

i still can't get to calibrate my ks16s I've tried the instructions I've looked on YouTube but it's a different version app I'm on 1.47 and there's only the one i can't use a leveling as as the pedals are slanted upwards ?

You tried the instructions @mrelwood

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Makes sense, but level or backward tilt places too much flex on my toes. Must be the odd, alien ?shape of my feet, slightly curled upward. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stephen said:

Yes you can. Here's how:

• Upvote 1

So i've had my tesla at a forward 3-4 degree angle for the last week, and I have to say my little toe is really killing from being buried into the end of my shoe, i'm not sure if forward is the one for me