My MSuper V3s+ Ascent of Mount Wilson

Marty Backe

@maltocs reminded me of the Mount Wilson Toll Road (a dirt trail) that climbs 4600-feet through the Southern California skies and ends at the Mt Wilson Observatory, home of the 100-inch Hale telescope.

IMG_20180519_145105946_HDR

So this page documents my little adventure to and from this mountain. I hope you like the story :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great adventure! Well done sir! 

41529678054_3d81f058d2_b.jpg

:thumbup:

:laughbounce2: Sometimes your pictures are a little subtle and I don't immediately pick up that you've done something nefarious :D

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The story continues ...

Hi Marty

The audio in this video was now a bit better so it was more enjoyable to watch. There were absolutely amazing views, beautiful scenery. I wish I would be there ⛰️☀️. It was also interesting to see how people react when you show up with your wheel. Do you find any place to charge the batteries on such long journeys?
Greetings from Finland
Carl

9 minutes ago, dismason said:

Hi Marty

The audio in this video was now a bit better so it was more enjoyable to watch. There were absolutely amazing views, beautiful scenery. I wish I would be there ⛰️☀️. It was also interesting to see how people react when you show up with your wheel. Do you find any place to charge the batteries on such long journeys?
Greetings from Finland
Carl

Glad you enjoyed the show :)  There may have been an outlet that I could have plugged into at the top, but I didn't look. I always plan my rides based on the capacity of my wheel.

I'm curious if anyone else noticed a difference in audio between Part 1 and Part 2. They should have been identical and to me, my voice levels seem the same :confused1:

@Marty Backe have you logged the average slope steepness? I'd be curious to compare with my last summer climb to Nestor Peak, I checked that on my ride the lowest point was at 103m, the highest was 918m, and the distance between them was  10km, which gives me ratio of 2674 ft / 6.2 miles.

1 minute ago, trya said:

@Marty Backe have you logged the average slope steepness? I'd be curious to compare with my last summer climb to Nestor Peak, I checked that on my ride the lowest point was at 103m, the highest was 918m, and the distance between them was  10km, which gives me ratio of 2674 ft / 6.2 miles.

Yours seems close to mine, just a bit less steep (mine: 4600 ft / 10 miles). I'll post the summary data shortly along with my track in Google Earth.

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yours seems close to mine, just a bit less steep (mine: 4600 ft / 10 miles).

thanks, very close, indeed. Actually the road is very similar too - mine had a bit more gravel, it seems, but it was manageable. I had to stop only about 100ft below the peak, because the road ended there and just turned to a huge pile of rocks. The view was also nice, but not as open as on your ride, the great open view was only from the top.

I actually found some small video from that clip, bad quality - but still brings a smile to my face :)

29 minutes ago, trya said:

thanks, very close, indeed. Actually the road is very similar too - mine had a bit more gravel, it seems, but it was manageable. I had to stop only about 100ft below the peak, because the road ended there and just turned to a huge pile of rocks. The view was also nice, but not as open as on your ride, the great open view was only from the top.

I actually found some small video from that clip, bad quality - but still brings a smile to my face :)

Looks like some nice trail riding. Mountain riding is so fun :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Mountain riding is so fun

oh yeah :) actually, descent was more challenging on some steep parts than ascent

20 minutes ago, trya said:

oh yeah :) actually, descent was more challenging on some steep parts than ascent

Agreed. Descending steep hills always feels more precarious to me.

G00gle Earth Track

If you have Google Earth, open this file to see the track of my ascent. Watching this replay makes me glad that the wheel didn't break down in the middle of the ride - it would be a long walk.

Google Earth Track of Mt Wilson Ascent

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's always been my favorite @EUC GUY video :thumbup:

Why are you posting a link to a drone and water bag here :confused1:  I didn't have any hydration issues on this ride, and a drone? I'll probably never get a drone - it's enough added work to ride with a stick and tripod and camera, let alone the hassle of carrying a drone, setting it up,  flying, riding, etc.

Looked like a pretty intensive uphill ride.  People often don't realize how dehydrated they get exerting themselves especially if the weather is cool.  Plus it might be handy to have a good supply of liquids just in case.  I'd hate to imagine breaking down halfway up and lugging a stuck wheel around without an ample supply of fluids handy.  I know you mentioned that you do carry a water bottle around.

Never say never!  I think with the small drones it's not that much work plus imagine the aerial vistas from that mountain vantage point!  Maybe someone like @Rehab1  or @EUC GUY who has one can comment.  I know what you mean though - I don't even like carrying around a selfie-stick when I'm riding.  It would be good to take a break though to fly a drone around a bit and capture some perspective shots PLUS don't under-estimate the cross-interest from drone pilots seeing you ride your wheel with drone footage!  :w00t2:   It would have been cool to see the telescopes area from the air.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Never say never!  I think with the small drones it's not that much work plus imagine the aerial vistas from that mountain vantage point!  Maybe someone like @Rehab1  or @EUC GUY who has one can comment.  I know what you mean though - I don't even like carrying around a selfie-stick when I'm riding.  It would be good to take a break though to fly a drone around a bit and capture some perspective shots PLUS don't under-estimate the cross-interest from drone pilots seeing you ride your wheel with drone footage!  :w00t2:  

That would make for some awesome footage! Just standing on the mountain and having the drone hover for a selfie shot would be great.

I have a backpack that allows me to carry my Mavic, Gopro, tripod, selfie stick and even the Soloshot with me. Everything was ready to go yesterday and it rained. Thanks for sharing last week’s storm front @Marty Backe

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2: Sometimes your pictures are a little subtle and I don't immediately pick up that you've done something nefarious :D

Any bigger and you would have been arrested. :roflmao:

15 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looked like a pretty intensive uphill ride.  People often don't realize how dehydrated they get exerting themselves especially if the weather is cool.  Plus it might be handy to have a good supply of liquids just in case.  I'd hate to imagine breaking down halfway up and lugging a stuck wheel around without an ample supply of fluids handy.  I know you mentioned that you do carry a water bottle around.

Never say never!  I think with the small drones it's not that much work plus imagine the aerial vistas from that mountain vantage point!  Maybe someone like @Rehab1  or @EUC GUY who has one can comment.  I know what you mean though - I don't even like carrying around a selfie-stick when I'm riding.  It would be good to take a break though to fly a drone around a bit and capture some perspective shots PLUS don't under-estimate the cross-interest from drone pilots seeing you ride your wheel with drone footage!  :w00t2:   It would have been cool to see the telescopes area from the air.

I wear a backpack on rides like this with plenty of water and extra food. If my wheel ever breaks down (I really hope that never happens) in a tough spot like this I would probably leave the wheel behind, walk down to my truck, and ride back up on another wheel to retrieve the broken one. That's the plan anyway.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wear a backpack on rides like this with plenty of water and extra food. If my wheel ever breaks down (I really hope that never happens) in a tough spot like this I would probably leave the wheel behind, walk down to my truck, and ride back up on another wheel to retrieve the broken one. That's the plan anyway.

How does that work? You could carry a 50lb EUC down a steep dirt path for miles riding an Euc? I am not trying to be a wisenhammer,  I am actually curious.

22 minutes ago, Jerome said:

How does that work? You could carry a 50lb EUC down a steep dirt path for miles riding an Euc? I am not trying to be a wisenhammer,  I am actually curious.

I'm not saying it would be fun, but I believe it's doable. Some places I would have to walk for sure.

One of my ACM's burned up on a ride and @Sven carried it out on his Monster. On another ride, @noisycarlos's ACM got a severe flat and @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" carried it out on his Monster.

Archived