Looking for my first EUC! Ideally in Washington DC/DMV locale

Hi guys,

I've spent a few weeks researching EUC's now, ever since my commute became ~3 miles round trip.  Also this will help get me some (much needed) fresh air. I think the Washington DC area is perfect for EUC's, and so I would love to get one second hand to start. I'd prefer it goes at least 14mph so I don't quickly grow out of it.   It sounds like a 14" wheel like Kingsong 14D, inmotion v5f, or gotway mcmv3 would be ideal, but open to other offers & suggestions.   It's really hard to find EUC's in this part of the US, second hand, but maybe some of you are out there with a spare wheel that you've given up trying to sell.  Sellers in other parts of the US may work too though.  Thanks for checking! 

I have an old 16-inch Firewheel that I haven't ridden in a while. It can go 16mph, the alarm starts beeping at 12mph though so you probably don't want to go much faster than that on a regular basis. It would work great for a 3-mile commute, I've ridden it 30 miles on a single charge in the past. I live in Silver Spring so I'm local. It has a charger and small wire stand. Send me a private message if you're interested, I'll let it go really cheap.

Thanks all for the offers. After reading more about wheel cut-outs, etc.. I've upped my budget somewhat into the 600-800ish price range, give or take each situation. So second hand strong-mid to weak high-end tier wheels.  Wheels with at least a 650Wh battery pack, but the more the better. I'm 5'10", 140lbs going up to as much as 20 miles round trip, mostly flat/low grade grounds, and want the wheel to be safely full of juice at that range.  

It seems like the second hand market in the US is really in low supply other than ninebot s1, c+.. including outside this forum etc.. If ewheeling is so rare in the US that this is the market situation, and this being my first wheel with uncertain commitments to the hobby, I'm afraid of holding a $1k+ wheel that I can't resell without taking a huge loss because there's no demand for such expensive second hand wheels.  So I think my second hand budget of 600-800ish is the sweet spot for a first wheel that's safe for serious trips without going into the super niche flagship market. 

Take a look at the wheel I just posted. I'm 3 hours away from DC, and I'd meet you in the middle (1.5 hr drive for each of us), or could meet you in NYC in July. I am selling one of the fastest wheels for $900. I know it's a bit above your price range but it's top of the line with a nice big battery. PM me if you're interested

7 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If the Msuper mentioned in the previous post feels too large for you for city traffic or just by weight, a new KingSong 14D should fit your needs quite well, including cost:

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-king-song-14d-420wh-battery800w-motor/

I'm not trying to push the MSuper, but what do you mean by city traffic? Personally, I didn't feel safe riding on the streets with me ks-14c because I couldn't go fast enough and cars would get frustrated, so I'd stick to the sidewalks. That's the big difference for me between the 30 kmph and 40 kmph wheels. Still, that's a good price for a 14d and it'd probably be a good choice too.

5 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

I'm not trying to push the MSuper, but what do you mean by city traffic? 

I was thinking pedestrians. I’m not sure if ”traffic” in English language includes pedestrians? Traffic and sidewalks in the cities around here are most likely very different from NYC, so I might not be able to relate to the practical needs for a NYC commuter wheel.

For riding on actual streets amongst cars, sure, the 14D is likely out of it’s element. But amongst pedestrians I think it would require less consentration than the Msuper. More nimble. After the initial learning process of course.

Anyway, the OP is light in weight, so I assumed a shorter person, for which an 18” wheel could be a bit large for a first one.

I am about 6’ 5”, 200lbs, and for me, sure, the Msuper has good ergonomics. If I didn’t have other issues with it, I’d probably be ordering the new version during the summer.

On 5/28/2018 at 10:04 AM, Glitched said:

It seems like the second hand market in the US is really in low supply other than ninebot s1, c+.. including outside this forum etc.. 

I believe the cause for that is because most people buy the Ninebot C+ and S1 as 'learning' wheels. Which after they learn to ride and put some miles in, upgrade to bigger more powerful wheel, and in turn sell their old learning wheel. There is nothing wrong with getting a Ninebot to learn on. They are still faster than walking, and get you from A to B without a sweat. I just don't want to spend a ton of money on something I haven't tried, don't know how to ride, or might break from learning. Also, the ninebot is the most durable learning wheel I've seen. They can take a crash. And trust me, everyone has crashed at least once. You can always pass it along to friends and family for them to learn on as well and grow your own local riding group.

33 minutes ago, Esper said:

I believe the cause for that is because most people buy the Ninebot C+ and S1 as 'learning' wheels. Which after they learn to ride and put some miles in, upgrade to bigger more powerful wheel, and in turn sell their old learning wheel. 

With "the wheel you really want" probably at $1,200 or more, it can be a big leap of faith to be someone who cannot currently ride a wheel at all who pays that much. I did the learner wheel thing myself and only spent $300 on the thing at AliExpress. Your first wheel is likely to get beaten up pretty badly over time as you learn, especially if you decide to learn tricks. Mine was held together with that sticky foam padding because the case had several cracks. I ended up giving it to someone around here who wanted to learn.

If you decide to go with a learner wheel you could try the Inmotion V5. E-wheels has a promotion where if you buy the Glide 3/V8 you can get a V5 for $199. Maybe if someone else is planning to buy the V8 you could sweet talk Jason into splitting the order and sending the V5 to you for a learner wheel. :D Even at its $550 price it's a great deal for the money, because of the extras they bundle with it.

All good points guys re: learner wheel vs 'the wheel you really want'.  I've read a lot on this forum to buy the best wheel you could afford right off the bat, and that you outgrow your first basic wheel in a matter of weeks.  Currently I'm hoping to get someones KS14S 680Wh in the ballpark I mentioned, but he can't ship it for another month or so at least, and things may change between now and then. It's ehweels rated for 30 miles, so I could see the battery draining to 20-30% on longer trips, which is no bueno. This assumes charge up to like 85% for better battery life. I was thinking I could live with it forever after though, or maybe sell it later on as it seemed to spark some interest here. I'm impatient to get riding though! ?  Maybe I can get started on a super cheep wheel in the interim, to your guys' point. ?

I would hope the KS14S can be respectively quick in the bike lane and off the edge of the streets.  But yes there could also be a fair amount of maneuvering around pedestrians, so, @codersarepeople, I'm a little averse to the 18" wheel size ATM.  Maybe I'll upgrade to that at some point. Much appreciated nonetheless!

With the 'interim' beginner wheel idea in mind, I don't have PM powers as a new member - only if you message me first.  If the following members still have their respective wheels available, could you please PM me? Looking for your best offers to essentially hold me over until I hopefully get the KS14S as my half-way serious euc.  :) 

@dmethvin with the firewheel (or is this the one you mentioned you just gave up?)

@Jrosenzweig with the E+

@tumbla.jr with the S2

Thanks all!

1 minute ago, Glitched said:

All good points guys re: learner wheel vs 'the wheel you really want'.  I've read a lot on this forum to buy the best wheel you could afford right off the bat, and that you outgrow your first basic wheel in a matter of weeks.  Currently I'm hoping to get someones KS14S 680Wh in the ballpark I mentioned, but he can't ship it for another month or so at least, and things may change between now and then. It's ehweels rated for 30 miles, so I could see the battery draining to 20-30% on longer trips, which is no bueno. This assumes charge up to like 85% for better battery life. I was thinking I could live with it forever after though, or maybe sell it later on as it seemed to spark some interest here. I'm impatient to get riding though! ?  Maybe I can get started on a super cheep wheel in the interim, to your guys' point. ?

I would hope the KS14S can be respectively quick in the bike lane and off the edge of the streets.  But yes there could also be a fair amount of maneuvering around pedestrians, so, @codersarepeople, I'm a little averse to the 18" wheel size ATM.  Maybe I'll upgrade to that at some point. 

With the 'interim' beginner wheel in mind, I don't have PM powers as a new member - only if you message me first.  If the following members still have their aforementioned wheels available, could you please PM me? Looking for your best offers to essentially hold me over until I hopefully get the KS14S as my half-way serious euc.  :) 

@dmethvin with the firewheel

@Jrosenzweig with the E+

@tumbla.jr with the S2

Thanks all!

Pm me your offer. My S2 is literally sitting here collecting dust. ?

3 hours ago, Glitched said:

I could see the battery draining to 20-30% on longer trips, which is no bueno. This assumes charge up to like 85% for better battery life

You might be over-thinking this a bit. The preferred range for long time storage is 40-80%. If you plan on taking a longer trip, you can charge it to 100% without worry. Many here always charge to 100%, the wheel will still offer thousands of kms of battery-worryfree travels.

Take note of the travel speed of the wheel. S2 is limited to something like 22km/h, which is not a speed you want to limit yourself to for long distance travelling once you get the hang of things. KS 14S has a travel speed of 30km/h. It will take a lot more to outgrow that. Some never will.

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You might be over-thinking this a bit. The preferred range for long time storage is 40-80%. If you plan on taking a longer trip, you can charge it to 100% without worry. Many here always charge to 100%, the wheel will still offer thousands of kms of battery-worryfree travels.

Take note of the travel speed of the wheel. S2 is limited to something like 22km/h, which is not a speed you want to limit yourself to for long distance travelling once you get the hang of things. KS 14S has a travel speed of 30km/h. It will take a lot more to outgrow that. Some never will.

The limits of the S2 are 25km/h or 15MPH respectively. This will lower as the battery level decreases.

6 hours ago, Glitched said:

Currently I'm hoping to get someones KS14S 680Wh in the ballpark I mentioned, but he can't ship it for another month or so at least, and things may change between now and then. It's ehweels rated for 30 miles, so I could see the battery draining to 20-30% on longer trips, which is no bueno.

Unless you're very light (like 50kg) or plan to go very slowly, that's a rather optimistic (= totally unrealistic) range for 680Wh.

Roughly, 80% of the battery is usable on any wheel (100% charge to 20% no-load charge, which under load is basically 0%) before you at best crawl further at a snail's pace.

A good guess is 15 Wh/km, it can go up to 20Wh/km on bigger wheels (they tend to have bigger power usage, if only because you go faster on them). Of course it heavily depends on rider weight (around 80-100kg for the 15-20Wh/km numbers) and other conditions (speed, wind, temperature, ...).

So 680Wh * 0.8 / 15Wh/km = 36.2km (22.5 miles) . So I guess 30-35km (18.5 - 22.5 miles) reliable range is realistic for a 14S with 680Wh (14S with 840Wh: 40-45km/25-28 miles), but 48km (30 miles) is not what you should expect (I suspect that is meant for the 840Wh standard battery size of the 14S, but even then it's unrealistic).

Also, don't worry about the battery. Don't abuse it (store forever at full charge or very low charge), but use it. Charge to 100% in the night before a ride and don't worry about emptying it as far as you can. The rest of the wheel will die loooooooong before any battery issues become noticable.

If you see yourself doing long rides (like 30 miles), you might want a cheap learner wheel now and then later (soon:efee8319ab:) go for a bigger wheel (if you can, financially) with 1300/1600Wh (*cough* msuperX looks :efeeec645d::efeeec645d: for example *cough*) instead of aiming for a 14S which is neither a cheap wheel nor a big&badass one. Don't worry too much about "big" wheels in tight conditions, they are ALL very controllable in the end, you could use a Monster to weave through crowds if you like.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've got @dmethvin firewheel and have been having a blast with it.  I've got my eyes on two 'intermediate' wheels, the KS14S and KS16S. I'm not close to being a speed demon yet, think I hit 7-8mph tops right now, so not concerned about the speed differences. The 14S (680Wh) I'm waiting on someone from this forum to ship (circumstances make that TBD, could be months) and another wheel that just popped up here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KingSong-16S-Unicycle-Balancing-One-Wheel-Scooter-840Wh-1200W-Motor-bluetooth/132672652510?hash=item1ee3e804de:g:eroAAOSwhBxbLAAD

Does this 16S seem legit? I see he's hiding a reserve price on it, and the pad is different than the one on ewheels.  Also one ewheels pic shows the 16S with a neat glossy shell, but only one of them. ? Is there much difference between the 14S and 16S, besides range? I'm in a busy urban area so convenience in the metro system, sidewalks, and bad pavement are priority over any range differences between the two. Is one more fun/punchy than the other? They seem to have the exact same features built in too, from a cursory check...

8 minutes ago, dieterGRAMS said:

I'm selling my MCM4 that I commute with daily here in NYC. Upgrading to an Msuper

20mph about 10 miles with HARD riding (340wh). You wouldn't think, but pretty much makes you King of the Bike Lane ?

Is 340 ah the battery size of the MCM4 or the MSuper you are buying? Ten miles of hard riding seems beyond a 340 ah battery, but go figure. GL. 

1 minute ago, Jerome said:

Is 340 ah the battery size of the MCM4 or the MSuper you are buying? Ten miles of hard riding seems beyond a 340 ah battery, but go figure. GL. 

MCM4 is 340wh.

I ride 3.5mi to work each way, mile or two on lunch, and errands around the neighborhood after work. Always cruise at the beeper ?

Archived