What kind of reaction do you get from the other half/wife/girlfriend/ball and chain ect

Ipsiain

5 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

I couldn’t help but notice this??

I’m a realist too. I suppose your self deprecating humour fits. ( i zoomed into your photo ? ) well my humour is rude, cocky and offensive. I guess we are all different. 

seriously though, theres nothing wrong with a bit of modesty. Its a shame social media is going down the other route, our future generations are doomed.

You’re fortunate to be able to commute to work! some of us work too far away from home ?

My wife supported me for many years after my move to the US resulted in no job for a long time and an eventual return to college for me. Until last year she actually earnt 2/3 of our household income and had largely supported me for the last 8 years. Without her hard work I wouldn't have been able to get my V8 or even be here on the forum. But she hated her job. It was killing her. So last year she left and is trying to start her own business doing something she actually enjoys. So far it hasn't returned much financially and it is a struggle but we are hopeful for the future. However it turns out she has more than earnt the opportunity to try. You assume to much about the lives of others. 

I agree about social media and in particular the 'selfie' being a root cause of the rise of self absorbtion. Everyone is the star of their own carefully choreographed show with a perfect public profile, but I'm sure that inside there is the constant fear of not keeping up with others and their equally false social profile. We are well on our way to nearly everything being just a facade cloaking a fragile and even broken persona inside. Social media... Even the name is hypocritical. 

Rant over. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

Hey! Where did you get a picture of my wife??

Sorry buddy. Your wife is posted all over the internet.

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Driving here sucks

no kidding. i started riding motorcycles a couple of years before the birth of the smartphone and texting. i became very aware people weren’t paying attention because on the bikes u could look right in their cars. 

i try to keep my driving to the absolute minimum. i bet i won’t put 1500 miles on my new touareg. seems like such a waste of money for the vehicle and insurance. 

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

My wife supported me for many years after my move to the US resulted in no job for a long time and an eventual return to college for me. Until last year she actually earnt 2/3 of our household income and had largely supported me for the last 8 years. Without her hard work I wouldn't have been able to get my V8 or even be here on the forum. But she hated her job. It was killing her. So last year she left and is trying to start her own business doing something she actually enjoys. So far it hasn't returned much financially and it is a struggle but we are hopeful for the future. However it turns out she has more than earnt the opportunity to try. You assume to much about the lives of others. 

I agree about social media and in particular the 'selfie' being a root cause of the rise of self absorbtion. Everyone is the star of their own carefully choreographed show with a perfect public profile, but I'm sure that inside there is the constant fear of not keeping up with others and their equally false social profile. We are well on our way to nearly everything being just a facade cloaking a fragile and even broken persona inside. Social media... Even the name is hypocritical. 

Rant over. 

I continue to believe that I am an angrier, worse-attitude version of you, Warp.  Couldn't agree more about the narcissism of people in the internet age. 

I am often in a position of having inside information in a field where there is a lot of public attention and interest (an NBA basketball team).  I will float hints of what I know to observe the responses of others as a learning experiment in human nature.  It doesn't matter how many times I've been right in the past, I can predict the negative responses I will get with stunning accuracy.  The narcissism I observe truly shocked me, initially at least.  I'm now convinced Warren Buffet could offer people amazing investment tips anonymously and he'd be ridiculed for it by people convinced that they are living embodiment of investment knowledge and aptitude. 

What's scary is that I've had to take a hard look in the mirror at my own self when I realized how badly I'd underestimated the narcissism of people.  My own narcissism had stopped me from seeing it.  

I thought my wife would be more skittish about the risks of me getting a wheel, but I failed to remember that she grew up in a rural community doing way stupider things. As if to rub that point in, she has recently pulled her inline skates out of the closet and gone on a few rides. I only found out a few days ago because she called me to pick her up from the corner of such-and-such. She had hit an oil slick and, not wearing any gear (I'm a riot cop by comparison), suffered painful minor injuries to the knee and elbow. Needless to say, I now own the high ground on safety.

The better I get at EUC, the more it reminds her of skating, and I think she would rather be riding a wheel with me. I've offered, but she has some goals regarding weight loss and fun-money making she wants to reach first. Fair enough.

1 minute ago, beast@tanagra said:

The better I get at EUC, the more it reminds her of skating, and I think she would rather be riding a wheel with me. I've offered, but she has some goals regarding weight loss and fun-money making she wants to reach first. Fair enough.

The reduction in the amount of exercise I get walking because of using an EUC is a bigger issue for me than I'd have predicted.  I hate to walk anywhere anymore if I can ride the wheel.  I still go for runs on the treadmill at the gym, but all the secondary exercise just walking around has been a casualty of the EUC and it shows in my physique.  

5 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

The reduction in the amount of exercise I get walking because of using an EUC is a bigger issue for me than I'd have predicted.  I hate to walk anywhere anymore if I can ride the wheel. 

I routinely use my wheel to commute. from my house to my car in the morning,  and then again after work from my car to my house. 

12 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

I routinely use my wheel to commute. from my house to my car in the morning,  and then again after work from my car to my house. 

I live maybe 300m from the corner store that I use to pick up snacks, etc.. you'd think that I'd just walk.  Nope.  Take the EUC.  

Haha, it’s getting ridiculous, if i used mine to go to my local shop it would take four times as long. It’s literally across the street from my front door. Like I could probably get there in 5 big lunging steps. If it wasn’t for the kerbs on the sidewalks i’d probably consider it. 

On 5/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, mezzanine said:

I continue to believe that I am an angrier, worse-attitude version of you, Warp. 

Sadly i'm a very angry person, internally at least. My British reserve just keeps it under wrap in polite company..... most the time. 

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

Sadly in a very angry person, internally at least. My British reserve just keeps it under wrap in polite company..... most the time. 

Although I'm Canadian, culturally I'm much more British than I was aware of growing up.  I only really began to realized it when I met someone at work who has British parents and we were out for lunch one day and we were talking and I started noticing a lot symmetries.  My grandmother's parents were British immigrants and she had a big part in raising me.  If there was an active British EUC forum, I'd probably feel more comfortable posting there than I do here among our American friends.  If I spoke French, I'd use the french forum.  

I have a book recommendation for you.  Hopefully you don't find it too presumptuous on my part.  Check out "Understanding Power" by Noam Chomsky if you get an opportunity.  

I just had to contribute to this.

Recently my niece got married, the groom’s family own a Manor House that is older than the USA and with its own church ( see below - the Manor House is on the right). See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teffont_Evias . I’m sure @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Will quickly spot, under “Notable People” that there used to be the kind of parties he is always hoping to get invited to ?!

Teffont_Evias_-_geograph.org.uk_-_113496

As you can probably imagine this was quite a wedding with quite a big guest list.

As a result the car was parked quite a long way away. During the reception I needed to fetch something from the car. Well the KingSong was in the trunk, it was a long walk back and I was in a hurry - there was, clearly, (I mean obvious to anyone surely?) only one thing to do ?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words - well - How much my wife agreed with my decision is, I think quite clear:

8EB87D5F-F78A-46A1-B10E-FAC0AD6064B3.thumb.jpeg.f4f6cb10b675a7ca618e87fc3086203f.jpeg

On 5/18/2018 at 9:20 PM, Ipsiain said:

So my girlfriend “caught me on my phone” whilst watching a movie together. Her response ; “ i bet you’re talking to people about your wheel thing, aww that’s cute “ and continued to poke fun at me. What kind of reaction do you get from your significant other regarding your riding/interest in this forum? 

Absolutely non what so ever.

Mainly I am fantastically single so I get to do pretty mush as I want...only @Marty Backe and @eddiemoytips is beginning to add up in costs ?.

Only responses I get are from my ragdoll-cats that have killed the EUC 3-4 times a day with their evil eye stare at it when ever I turn it on or park it in the hallway. They do only resent my hoover more than the EUC.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

8EB87D5F-F78A-46A1-B10E-FAC0AD6064B3.thumb.jpeg.f4f6cb10b675a7ca618e87fc3086203f.jpeg

Looking quite dapper riding in the suit, my good man!  :thumbup:  Classy way to ride.  You forgot your formal helmet as well as wrist and knee guards though!  :lol:

I didn't know your niece was Meghan Markle!   ;)

Oh yeah :dribble:my kinda people!  Except I don't think the goldfish were too happy about that.  :whistling: 

Hermione Baddeley, with her husband, rented the Manor and used it as a venue for boisterous parties (including mixed naked bathing in the goldfish pond).[24]

Keith, I love that picture. It pretty much sums up the theme of this post in one simple snap. It’s the best one ive seen on this site! Quite a different look wearing a suit, but i think it will catch on. Your wife got to accesorise with a bag and scarf, i’d say it’s only fair you get your wheel!

I’ll always carry my wheel in my car from this day onwards, Just incase I get the opportunity to upstage a bride on her wedding day! 

9 hours ago, Keith said:

I just had to contribute to this.

Recently my niece got married, the groom’s family own a Manor House that is older than the USA and with its own church ( see below - the Manor House is on the right). See also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teffont_Evias . I’m sure @Hunka Hunka Burning Love Will quickly spot, under “Notable People” that there used to be the kind of parties he is always hoping to get invited to ?!

Teffont_Evias_-_geograph.org.uk_-_113496

As you can probably imagine this was quite a wedding with quite a big guest list.

As a result the car was parked quite a long way away. During the reception I needed to fetch something from the car. Well the KingSong was in the trunk, it was a long walk back and I was in a hurry - there was, clearly, (I mean obvious to anyone surely?) only one thing to do ?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words - well - How much my wife agreed with my decision is, I think quite clear:

Lol this is fantastic, its my brothers wedding this weekend and I was contemplating best man duties on the wheel :P also your niece has done very well ???

On 5/19/2018 at 5:39 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Sadly in a very angry person, internally at least. My British reserve just keeps it under wrap in polite company..... most the time. 

Oh.. so just like the rest of us then..

On 5/18/2018 at 11:57 PM, Shemp said:

About 18 months ago, when I was researching what first EUC to get, my wife saw what I was looking at on my laptop. She thought it was supercool and decided to get one of her own. Hers came before mine, and she commutes to work on it, goes for milk runs on it, and rides it at every opportunity. She's a way better and more enthusiastic rider than me.

I met a female rider while I was riding on Market street a few months ago. She said she rides with her husband, maybe that was you!

Come out for a group ride some time with us if you haven't, they're a lot of fun.

17 hours ago, Kevin Grandon said:

I met a female rider while I was riding on Market street a few months ago. She said she rides with her husband, maybe that was you!

Come out for a group ride some time with us if you haven't, they're a lot of fun.

Blonde, 5'8", on a V5F+?  If so, yup!

Obscured some personal info about the other rider's occupation coz this is t'internetz (still good potential for trolling the blurred messages)

12 years, engaged. She's christened it 'uniball' and doesn't think it's cool, but likes that it makes me happy. Worries about my untimely demise and to be fair I'm constantly hurting myself hitting potholes on NYC's roads. Thinks I look like a tool with my pads on (80% mutual agreement).

Tried to get her into PEV and bought her an Inmotion Scooterboard, with the idea of us 'cruising' together around Brooklyn on lazy Sundays. Went down like a shit sandwich. Bad times.

She bought me motorcycle gloves and lessons for my last birthday (almost a year ago) now I wear those gloves on the uniball and haven't taken the motorcycle lessons. She's mentioned a dream of me pulling up to pick her up on a motorbike, taking my helmet off, doing a hair flick and looking all smoldering. Instead she's got this looser on a uniball ?

The EUC purchase somewhat disrupted the motorcycle dream.

2.thumb.jpg.a2a4432bbc149b167e4d1f61d6026eb6.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.35e3f06dd2098cb5da84ec42b3ff191d.jpg

3.jpg.641eff6e84a4f27d523e22586e0f5836.jpg

Archived