Buying First EUC - Just need some advice

Hello guys!

Just joined, I'm just looking for a little bit of help from you guys on what you all think would be a good first EUC for me. I have ridden one a couple of years ago and I FINALLY have the money to buy one. I have 2 that I am looking at on facebook marketplace. 

The first is a Ninebot C+ for 280$

Second is a Airwheel X3 for 250$ (they said that the battery was bad and had to buy a new one?)

I am a complete newby on what is the best for a starter, but I do know that I will want some decent power and speed once I get the hang of it. I don't want to instantly regret not getting a higher powered EUC. Again I am like super green so I just want some thoughts on if these are good prices, what to look for when I go to check it out, or any other help that I can get. Super excited to get my first wheel, just super unsure of which one to get or what. Please let me know what you guys think! Also the Ninebot c+ has only been ridden twice if that helps. 

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Thanks! Trevor

11 minutes ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Second is a Airwheel X3 for 250$ (they said that the battery was bad and had to buy a new one?)

Welcome to the forum.

To be honest, given just the two options you quote above it is a no brainier. A new Airwheel X3 is around $399 and, at least according to the below post, a replacement Airwheel battery is around $320. Whilst you might shop around and get a cheaper one That still, in my book, makes an X3 with a duff battery worth $80 at the very most!

Perhaps others in the forum might make better suggestions and don’t forget to also take a look at our private sales.

Just now, Keith said:

Welcome to the forum.

To be honest, given just the two options you quote above it is a no brainier. A new Airwheel X3 is around $399 and, at least according to the below post a replacement Airwheel battery is around $320. Whilst you might shop around and get a cheaper one That still, in my book, makes an X3 with a duff battery worth $80 at the very most!

Perhaps others in the forum might make better suggestions and don’t forget to also take a look at our private sales.

Thank you for the welcome! I totally did not say this correctly in the first post. They said that the battery was NEW that they just recently had to buy a new one because the first one that it came with was bad. Pretty much she said "well im losing money on the deal because we just had to get a new battery from china for it." If that helps at all. 

Thanks for the reply and advice!!

2 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Hello guys!

Just joined, I'm just looking for a little bit of help from you guys on what you all think would be a good first EUC for me. I have ridden one a couple of years ago and I FINALLY have the money to buy one. I have 2 that I am looking at on facebook marketplace. 

I am a complete newby on what is the best for a starter, but I do know that I will want some decent power and speed once I get the hang of it. I don't want to instantly regret not getting a higher powered EUC. Again I am like super green so I just want some thoughts on if these are good prices, what to look for when I go to check it out, or any other help that I can get. Super excited to get my first wheel, just super unsure of which one to get or what. Please let me know what you guys think! Also the Ninebot c+ has only been ridden twice if that helps. 

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Thanks! Trevor

Airwheel X3 sucks and so does the ninebot C+.  I have both, i started on the X3, as soon as I was able to go forward, as soon as it "clicked" for me, I went out and bought the ninebot C+.  I used the C+ and abused the shit out of it to learn turning left, right, going backwards.  I used it for about a month before i again upgraded to the king song 16.  you will quickly out grow these two and I suggest that you go and look something a little better and protect it using the foam wrap.  you can get a good king song 14D for cheap used on ebay or facebook.  

Good luck and have fun!

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Airwheel X3 sucks and so does the ninebot C+.  I have both, i started on the X3, as soon as I was able to go forward, as soon as it "clicked" for me, I went out and bought the ninebot C+.  I used the C+ and abused the shit out of it to learn turning left, right, going backwards.  I used it for about a month before i again upgraded to the king song 16.  you will quickly out grow these two and I suggest that you go and look something a little better and protect it using the foam wrap.  you can get a good king song 14D for cheap used on ebay or facebook.  

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks man I had a feeling that would be the case. I am really looking into the 14D I'm liking it a whole lot from all the reviews. Do you have any idea of which seller is actually legit on Ebay? Im struggling to find a good used seller for it. I saw the ewheels.com has one for about 800 I just dont have the budget for that right now. I am looking for more like 500. Thanks so much man!!

You have to check seller reputation and contact them for more information, I think.  That is advice I have read from others about ebay,  but looking at unicycle listings, I see a lot of them that look misleading.

For your budget,  and to have peace of mind and a warranty, you might consider a new ninebot one S1 for $449.00 at ninebotus.  Top speed is only 12.5 mph though, about the same as a C+. but way better than the airwheel.

If you can find a Kingsong 14D, that would be a much more powerful and faster wheel than the ninebot.  Good luck!:)

Edit, just found this IPS S5 on craigslist for $500.00 in Dallas.  https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/d/ips-s5-electric-unicycle/6570808327.html

See if you can find a used Gotway MCM3. That was my first (and only) wheel I bought a couple months ago. I'm very happy with it, considering it's roughly comparable to the KS-14D in performance and durability and reliability. 

I didn't want to buy a low performance 500 watt (or lower) wheel, knowing that I'd outgrow it in days. After TONS of research, I bought my MCM3 340wh wheel from TecToys for less than $500. I think I bought the last 340wh wheel though, they're out of stock.

The only version of the MCM3 they have is the 680wh version, and it's $650. 

If I were you, I'd see if you can find any used MCM3. The price will probably be great and come in well  within your $500 budget. 

It's not a pretty wheel like the KS14D, and it doesn't have the same features.

image_2048x2048.jpeg?v=1462082752

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version?variant=15657882883

Another wheel worth looking into would be a used KingSong KS-14C. It's not as good as the KS-14D, but it's the same basic idea, and a much better wheel than those other wheels you're looking at.

Always better to buy a better (800 watt) USED wheel than a brand new crap wheel.

Here's something else to check out. If there was one 500 watt wheel to buy (rather than an 800 watt wheel used), it would probably be the Inmotion V5, aka the Solowheel Glide 2. The full Glide 2 is $599, but the Glide 2 Lite is well within your budget: 

Solowheel Glide 2 Lite Electric Unicycle

$399.00
ADD TO CART

Limited Edition & Promotional Offer

• Battery Range: 9-12 miles max (160Wh)
  • Top Speed: 12.5 mph
  • Wheel Size: 14 inches
  • Hill Climbing: rated for 18 degrees slope sustained
  • Weight Limit: 200 lbs max load. Best for lighter weight riders. 
  • Weatherproof: IP55 rated
  • Ultra Compact: easy to carry and stow. Optional folding handle accessory sold separately.
  • Front and Rear Lights
  • Intelligent Safety Tilt Back and audio warnings prevent you from pushing Solowheel past mechanical limitations based on available power. 

https://www.myinmotion.com/products/solowheel-glide-2

Glide_2_Pulled_Def-Edit_1000x1500.jpg?v=

2 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Thanks man I had a feeling that would be the case. I am really looking into the 14D I'm liking it a whole lot from all the reviews. Do you have any idea of which seller is actually legit on Ebay? Im struggling to find a good used seller for it. I saw the ewheels.com has one for about 800 I just dont have the budget for that right now. I am looking for more like 500. Thanks so much man!!

There was a guy on FB selling his for $400 pretty much new he said.  Though he thought it was a 14S until I pointed it out.

18 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Solowheel Glide 2 Lite Electric Unicycle

$399.00

I think they had a 'get one free' promotion a couple of months back on these (free Lite with Glide 3 or something like that). The former InMotion Marketing Team was sure the Lite would be THE hot selling wheel for beginners/novices... Not sure, did these sell a lot? (Either these have sold like hotcakes or they can't give them away...) After all, they would seem to be comparable to (already released) Ninebots. Unfortunately, I can't recall anyone on this forum mentioning having one. :efeff54d4a:

IMO, being new, I wouldn't buy used.  You have no idea what it has been through.  EUC is a major do it yourself project.  You may think you save money buying used at $250 or $350  but you may find other problems.

I highly don't recommend it.  Wait until you have the money and get the wheel you want.   It's expensive and you want to wait to get the one you really want and is safe for you.

5 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

I am really looking into the 14D I'm liking it a whole lot from all the reviews. Do you have any idea of which seller is actually legit on Ebay? Im struggling to find a good used seller for it. I saw the ewheels.com has one for about 800 I just dont have the budget for that right now. I am looking for more like 500. Thanks so much man!!

I have a nice 14d . I will sell for 500 plus shipping. I bought it here on the forum and I believe it’s still under warranty from ewheels.

I bought it for my son a few months ago, he is ready for something bigger now . Nothing is wrong with the wheel.

If you don't end up going with that 14D from JPD above, because it's $50 out of your price range, I found an ebay site that sells new Gotway MCM3 240wh wheels for $395.

Hopefully you can raise the extra $50 to get the 14D, but I know what it's like to have brutally unforgiving budgetary restrictions

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotway-MCM-performance-unicycle-19-mph-800-Watt-motor-large-pedals/262454281211?hash=item3d1b7e83fb:g:OAAAAOSw44BYh9kl

14 hours ago, Jpd said:

I have a nice 14d . I will sell for 500 plus shipping. I bought it here on the forum and I believe it’s still under warranty from ewheels.

I bought it for my son a few months ago, he is ready for something bigger now . Nothing is wrong with the wheel.

Hey man this is actually something I am very interested in. Could you PM me? I'd love to see some pics of the wheel and pin down if there is still a warranty and for how much longer. That is awesome!! Thanks so much for the offer. I was only allowed to post 3 times yesterday I guess cause my account is new. If that happens again today just know that I will message you back tomorrow!

Looks like it is a great choice for a first wheel. 

13 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

If you don't end up going with that 14D from JPD above, because it's $50 out of your price range, I found an ebay site that sells new Gotway MCM3 240wh wheels for $395.

Hopefully you can raise the extra $50 to get the 14D, but I know what it's like to have brutally unforgiving budgetary restrictions

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotway-MCM-performance-unicycle-19-mph-800-Watt-motor-large-pedals/262454281211?hash=item3d1b7e83fb:g:OAAAAOSw44BYh9kl

Hey man! I was looking into this for sure. I already saw this on eBay and it definitely was one of my top 3 choices. I was a little worried about it because it didn't look like it had a warranty. 

Now that Jpd so kindly offered the 14D I am super torn because I was really wanting one of those.

Last night I had all but made up my mind on this mcm4 (high speed????) https://www.ebay.com/itm/252398323784?ul_noapp=true
I asked the seller last night and they assured me that it was the HS version... For 599 brand new I dont think it is too bad of a deal at all. Please let me know what you think between the 2. I also just asked the seller if there is any type of warranty I can add on to the wheel, awaiting reply for that. This is over my budget but I feel like I wont outgrow this wheel for quite some time which I also believe to be true for the 14D.

the 14d has the 420wh i believe 

and the mcmv4 has a 360wh avail. Im not sure what to make of that other than I think the 14D will go further correct? 

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to look around for me!

24 minutes ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Hey man! I was looking into this for sure. I already saw this on eBay and it definitely was one of my top 3 choices. I was a little worried about it because it didn't look like it had a warranty. 

Now that Jpd so kindly offered the 14D I am super torn because I was really wanting one of those.

Last night I had all but made up my mind on this mcm4 (high speed????) https://www.ebay.com/itm/252398323784?ul_noapp=true
I asked the seller last night and they assured me that it was the HS version... For 599 brand new I dont think it is too bad of a deal at all. Please let me know what you think between the 2. I also just asked the seller if there is any type of warranty I can add on to the wheel, awaiting reply for that. This is over my budget but I feel like I wont outgrow this wheel for quite some time which I also believe to be true for the 14D.

and the mcmv4 has a 360wh avail. Im not sure what to make of that other than I think the 14D will go further correct? 

Please be aware that unless you buy from a major EUC Dealer, warranties are basically worthless.

The MCM will certainly be the faster wheel, but that's a small battery. Expect 15-miles or less for your range. You can expect ~20-miles on the 14D. 

I bought my first wheel 2-3 months ago.   I found a used 14c with a bent rim for cheap.   Everyone has a different opinion, some say don't bother with a "beginner" wheel, some say its totally worth it.  If you keep an eye out, you'll find something.  A 14d for $500 isn't too bad if its in good shape and low miles.

I'm think a beginner wheel is a great idea.   I've wrecked at low speed so many times, if I'd had a new wheel, I would have been so worried about tearing it up and my learning curve would have taken so much longer.  You'll hit the speed limit right away, 12mph is really not very fast at all on these things, but it forced me to practice other stuff (backwards riding, pendulums, slow riding, lots of types of turning) while a wait to get a big boy euc (My v10f is on the boat).  It will be a good loaner wheel when I get a better one.

1 minute ago, that0n3guy said:

I bought my first wheel 2-3 months ago.   I found a used 14c with a bent rim for cheap.   Everyone has a different opinion, some say don't bother with a "beginner" wheel, some say its totally worth it.  If you keep an eye out, you'll find something.  A 14d for $500 isn't too bad if its in good shape and low miles.

I'm think a beginner wheel is a great idea.   I've wrecked at low speed so many times, if I'd had a new wheel, I would have been so worried about tearing it up and my learning curve would have taken so much longer.  You'll hit the speed limit right away, 12mph is really not very fast at all on these things, but it forced me to practice other stuff (backwards riding, pendulums, slow riding, lots of types of turning) while a wait to get a big boy euc (My v10f is on the boat).  It will be a good loaner wheel when I get a better one.

For sure man, I am not super worried about the learning curve. When I rode one a couple of years ago it came to me pretty naturally I just learned in the grass with I believe a ninebot unsure of which one it was it was just a guy at my apartment complex that was like sure you can try it out. So I road around in the grass and had it down within a couple of hours. I can balance decent due to being a gymnast all my life. So the main thing is for me that I dont wanna spend 300-400 on a beginner wheel when I could put in a couple hundred more and feel much better about it with it being a more powerful wheel that I wont outgrow in the first few days. Thank you so much for your input though. I guess now I have to decide on the MCM4 or the 14D, Im not really sure on mileage and what not for the 14D so hopefully you guys can help me once we find out that info. 

Thanks again!

17 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

BTW, I don't consider the 14C a beginner wheel. That was a powerhouse of a 14-inch wheel. Put many hundreds of miles on mine.

5 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

That MCM4 isn't a great deal because of the small battery. The MCM3 is actually the same wheel basically, just in a (cheaper) older case that isn't as attractive. But the MCM3 case is actually a lot more bulletproof than the MCM4 case. 

360wh (MCM4) is less battery power than 420wh (KS14D), and also the KS14D will get better mileage than the MCM4 or MCM3 per wh. So the KS14D will go significantly further than the MCM4.

Here's a brand new MCM3 with a 680wh battery, for $650. It's a pretty good deal.

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

But that KS-14D used is an even better deal, and the KS-14D is a better wheel, because it has all those features like trolley handle and lights that attracted you to the MCM4

20 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

That MCM4 isn't a great deal because of the small battery. The MCM3 is actually the same wheel basically, just in a (cheaper) older case that isn't as attractive. But the MCM3 case is actually a lot more bulletproof than the MCM4 case. 

360wh (MCM4) is less battery power than 420wh (KS14D), and also the KS14D will get better mileage than the MCM4 or MCM3 per wh. So the KS14D will go significantly further than the MCM4.

Here's a brand new MCM3 with a 680wh battery, for $650. It's a pretty good deal.

https://tec-toyz.com/products/gotway-mcm3-high-speed-version

But that KS-14D used is an even better deal, and the KS-14D is a better wheel, because it has all those features like trolley handle and lights that attracted you to the MCM4

Thanks for the input thats really all I needed. It sounds like the 14D is the clear winner here. I think I am going to go with that! The 14D only has 400 km on it and very minor wear on it. Looks like a pro has been riding it since it was taken out of the package also seems like Jpd really cares about his wheels so I know it has been in good hands. Plus it has a warranty for a couple more months? I don't think it can be beat!!

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I don't consider the 14C a beginner wheel. That was a powerhouse of a 14-inch wheel. Put many hundreds of miles on mine.

I wasn't calling it a beginner wheel from a power or performance standpoint, I was calling it beginner as it is cheap and I don't care if I beat it up :).

22 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Its done boys me and Jpd made a deal!!! Money is sent and the wheel should be on its way by Monday!! Im like a small 23 year old child waiting on Christmas. Thank you guys for all the help and thanks Jpd for the sweet ride!

Congratulations on your wheel!

I know I'm late to comment, but I hope its still helpful. I learned on the Airwheel X3 that I borrowed from a friend around mid April 2018. I've recently switched over to his Airwheel X8, I like the 16 inch wheel over his 14 inch wheel for city use. What surprised me the most was how quickly you will outgrow a 18kmh wheel. Less than two months of experience and I feel like I'm ready to move up to a more powerful 16 inch wheel. I think when you're buying you have to be mindful of your needs beyond learning to ride, or else you'll be set back hundreds of dollars.

I'm now researching to find which wheel is right for me so I can stop bumming my friend's wheels and keep up to his Gotway Tesla.

16 hours ago, NeGeN said:

Congratulations on your wheel!

I know I'm late to comment, but I hope its still helpful. I learned on the Airwheel X3 that I borrowed from a friend around mid April 2018. I've recently switched over to his Airwheel X8, I like the 16 inch wheel over his 14 inch wheel for city use. What surprised me the most was how quickly you will outgrow a 18kmh wheel. Less than two months of experience and I feel like I'm ready to move up to a more powerful 16 inch wheel. I think when you're buying you have to be mindful of your needs beyond learning to ride, or else you'll be set back hundreds of dollars.

I'm now researching to find which wheel is right for me so I can stop bumming my friend's wheels and keep up to his Gotway Tesla.

For sure man, thats why it took me so long to make a decision!! Thank you for the insight and congrats!

Archived