400km and still waiting on first crash

Ipsiain

On 6/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, WARPed1701D said:

It's unfortunate that modern medicine cheats Darwin of his prize. I've often thought there should be a three strike rule at ER. First injury from stupidity and we patch you up the best we can and send you home to learn from your mistakes. Second time for the same kind of stupid injury we send you home with some bits still hanging off. Leave you with some scars and a limp as a nice reminder not to be an idiot again. Third time...out of luck. You are on your own. Maybe Darwin gets his prize and the gene pool gets cleaned up a bit.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Someone once said that the best example of mankind's stupidity is the invention of the crash helmet.

Instead of doing risky activities and trying to protect you when it goes wrong, why not simply refrain from doing them? Lots of people out there will consider riding an euc "stupid" and utterly useless, no matter what gear you use.

It's impossible to draw the line somewhere when you start introducing these kinds of rules. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Someone once said that the best example of mankind's stupidity is the invention of the crash helmet.

Instead of doing risky activities and trying to protect you when it goes wrong, why not simply refrain from doing them? Lots of people out there will consider riding an euc "stupid" and utterly useless, no matter what gear you use.

It's impossible to draw the line somewhere when you start introducing these kinds of rules. 

Nonsense maybe to you but I'm at the end of my tether being surrounded by utter muppets and the world needs a correction. I'm just saying how I'd like it to work in "my little imaginary world" and honestly "my world" wouldn't be a nice place for morons, idiots, and those of questionable moral and ethical standing.

And to be more elaborate on my suggestion...if someone came into ER with a second EUC related injury but had taken reasonable steps to protect themselves from injury after their first non-protected fall then the strikes are reset. They showed a bit of savy. Congrats. There is hope for them yet we will patch you up again.  My world rules wouldn't be there to scare people into staying home for fear of injury but to weed out the morons who just don't learn.

6 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

And to be more elaborate on my suggestion...if someone came into ER with a second EUC related injury but had taken reasonable steps to protect themselves from injury after their first non-protected fall then the strikes are reset. They showed a bit of savy. Congrats. There is hope for them yet we will patch you up again.  My world rules wouldn't be there to scare people into staying home for fear of injury but to weed out the morons who just don't learn.

Still impossible to put this into decent rules.

Take motorbikes as an example. Who is the biggest idiot:

- the one that drives around only using a helmet on his chopper, never going over 50

- the one that gears up completely but participates in the Isle Of Man TT?

For those who don't know what that is:

No it's not in fast forward.

13 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Still impossible to put this into decent rules.

Take motorbikes as an example. Who is the biggest idiot:

- the one that drives around only using a helmet on his chopper, never going over 50

- the one that gears up completely but participates in the Isle Of Man TT?

The guy on the chopper. No question.

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

The guy on the chopper. No question.

Interesting, as the chance of getting seriously injured or killed is a lot higher in the IOM TT than on that chopper, if we compare the number of miles per injury. So that makes no sense at all. That's just an arbitrary rule that's not based on anything. 

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Interesting, as the chance of getting seriously injured or killed is a lot higher in the IOM TT than on that chopper, if we compare the number of miles per injury. So that makes no sense at all. That's just an arbitrary rule that's not based on anything. 

Yes they are at higher risk of injury but that is not my point. My point is that those riders will likely be wearing as much appropriate protective gear as possible. It may not help them but they get points for doing what they can and showing some sense. Note my earlier point that it isn't about people not taking risk. It is about learning from mistakes and mitigating risk. The dude on the chopper gets a point for a helmet but that is where it stops. 49mph is plenty to kill or seriously injure him. He might as well not bother with it anyway. It just means he will be conscious as he bleeds out on the highway. He'd be better off being knocked into a coma and knowing nothing of the carnage he is part of. First fall he gets patched up as best they can and he lives to ride another day. Second fall and he still just had his helmet on....that's when he goes home with a limp and a few less pain meds to make it memorable. Third time...what still no body armor.?!?!? Good luck Jack, you are on your own.

I'm really not looking to debate something that is a fanciful wish from my ever growing society induced dark side and will never see realization in the real world. I think we can probably all agree it would be nice to have a bit more common sense and a bit less idiocy in the world though and this is one way I dreamt up on a rainy afternoon that might help clear society up a little. God know it needs it. Over and out.

Put me in the "no safety gear is insane" category. Just being honest, however I don't support any law telling you you have to. No safety gear means you'll get killed or injured, but your lack of gear won't affect anyone else, so ride naked if it floats your boat, haha.

..I also don't support 'The Man" telling us we need to wear trousers all the time either!:eff02518bb:

I would not be able to ever go at speeds in the video @ir_fuel posted. My vision and reaction speed isn't good enough so if I blink I'd die. Or I would go slower and come in last every time.

For miles/injury that you bring up. I'd have to agree. Those two can be compared but they are individual statistics. Just because the chance of you getting hit by lightning is low doesn't make it any less dangerous. I did delivery driving for several months and put over 10,000 miles on a month and got into no accidents. Does it mean I should drive without a seat belt? No, because some idiot next to me might decide to merge without looking.

Put the same consideration into everything you do that is potentially dangerous. Always assume that the 'worst possible outcome' is just around the corner and if it happens, you will be glad you were prepared.

After 11000km total on EUCs, I crashed today. At about 20km/h the wheel sank this time in a soft spot in the gravel, and came out pointing left. I continued straight, in what must’ve been quite a peculiar position.

If I hadn’t had my new helmet with a chin protector, my face would have horrible scars from the gravel. No helmet at all and I might have a concussion or worse. If no wrist support gloves, my both hands would be full of scars and my right wrist would be sprained. No knee pads, don’t want to imagine. No motorcycle jacket and I’d have bad scars on my shoulder, right arm and my back.

Since I had all those, I only hurt my shoulder, I suppose from the weight of landing on it. It hurts when lifting my arm forward. A very gentle bruise the size of a pin on my left hand is the only superficial damage.

It is true that we all take calculated risks many times every day, on and off EUC. But when someone rides any EUC at any speed without any protection, (s)he has simply calculated wrong.

Shadows of tree trunks alone can hide a death trap. Any EUC can cut off at any time. A cut off or a bad pot hole can not be ”run off”. You might eject at a very strange position. 

Glad to hear you're okay.  I've yet to crash in gravel; only on pavement so far.  

It's your comment about the way your gloves protected your hands that is especially resonating with me.  One thing I like better about the Triple 8 Hired Hands over the Flexmeters is the integrated glove design.  I usually wear light cycling gloves under the Flexmeters, but they won't prevent injury in a crash.  I need to find a better solution.  

I finally decided to go for a full-face helmet today after resisting the move from a conventional helmet before now.  Going to cry if it doesn't fit.  

Damn, I didn't realize the TSG Pass that is so popular around here is as expensive as it is.  I'm sure it's cheaper in the states.  Ebay had a 20% off coupon today and I managed to grab a new Leatt GPX 5.5 for $200 cdn all-in.  

My next safety gear investment is probably going to be those exact knee pads.  I know warp'd uses them and likes them.  I wonder a bit about the lack of straps and whether they could slide a bit on impact, but their smaller profile design are a big plus.  

They fit tight with a stretchy mesh on the inside, they have silicone ring at top and bottom that hold them in place on your skin like glue. They don't move at all. I've worn them all day at work under my pants in my office and they were fine. I hate velcro guards because the velcro always gets weak so fast. Knee guards do little good if they fly off at first impact. 

I got the TSG for cheaper than it is on Amazon right now. I'd still buy another one if I crash in this one though, I love it.

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

weed out the morons

“weed out”?? You mean like putting them into a gas chamber or sorts? And then we get the “Uebermensch”, the genetically perfect EUC rider? ? I think, we had such ideas in history before, didn’t we? But ... without all the “morons”, how could we ever again admire the other breed that you strive for, the ones that survived the weeding. Is there an Uebermensch without a Mensch? I wonder.

7 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

“weed out”?? You mean like putting them into a gas chamber or sorts? And then we get the “Uebermensch”, the genetically perfect EUC rider? ? I think, we had such ideas in history before, didn’t we? But ... without all the “morons”, how could we ever again admire the other breed that you strive for, the ones that survived the weeding. Is there an Uebermensch without a Mensch? I wonder.

Yeah I think you just jumped the shark here. Talk about going out of your way to be offended/offensive.

Lol, this is not the time or place to be debating Nietzsche. 

“weed out”?? You mean like putting them into a gas chamber or sorts? ?

No I don't and your comparison is way off base and frankly offensive. Thanks for comparing me to Hitler.

Murdering innocent people into a gas chamber is in no way comparable to suggesting people take responsibility for themselves and accept the consequences of their choices and actions. Personal responsibility and culpability is a dying trait over the last few decades and it wouldn't hurt to see a little more of it would it...you seem to think I'm trying to create a master race or something.

Like I said earlier there is no point discussing this further but your comment was below the belt and demanded a response.

8 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Is there an Uebermensch without a Mensch? I wonder.

Or, to quote 2 famous TV personalities

Beavis: Hey Butt-head, how come some stuff sucks, but some stuff is pretty cool?

Butt-head: If nothing sucked, and everything was cool all the time, then it’s like, how would you know it was cool?

Beavis: I would know. You just said, everything would be cool.

Butt-head: I mean, like, if I wasn’t here.

Beavis: Oh yeah. That would be cool.

Butt-head: No, buttmunch.

You're welcome.

12 hours ago, Hatchet said:

They fit tight with a stretchy mesh on the inside, they have silicone ring at top and bottom that hold them in place on your skin like glue. They don't move at all. I've worn them all day at work under my pants in my office and they were fine. I hate velcro guards because the velcro always gets weak so fast. Knee guards do little good if they fly off at first impact. 

I got the TSG for cheaper than it is on Amazon right now. I'd still buy another one if I crash in this one though, I love it.

Good to know about the g-form knee pads.  You are very right about the annoyance factor with velcro becoming weak.  My Hired Hands are becoming borderline dangerous exactly because of this phenomenon.  Interestingly, the Flexmeters seem a lot better in this regard.  I don't know if they're using a better kind of velcro or what, but it seems much stronger and more durable.  

12 hours ago, Hatchet said:

@mezzanine

I agree with @Hatchet that the knee pads a very comfortable even for long usage. Be sure to get the Elite version rather than the Pro-X ones that are thinner, do not have as much coverage, are not MC rated, and do not have the lower silicone band on the leg tube.

The elbow pads are a little less comfortable if you bend your arm beyond 90 degrees but mine are super tight on the forearm and elbow to make up for the fact I have the biceps of a new born baby.

I've not crashed in them and I don't know of anyone with the Elite's who has so they efficacy when it matters is as yet unknown. You also give up the smooth plastic outer shell of regular pads so sliding out of a fall is less likely. I wear mine under clothing so that the clothes are subject to initial twisting/abraision forces of a fall rather than the pad itself.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:52 PM, Mark Lee said:

It's not illegal to be stupid but it's always expensive and/or painful... :whistling:

Being stupid or doing something stupid isn't entirely the same thing. However the consequences could be the same. 

Turning this to EUC riding....I am pretty sure all of us here do not want an EUB-ban. 

Getting into headlights for stupidity or consequences or status that give authorities argument to pass laws for a ban is simply put bad. 

Imho I still think an EUC-licence similar to a driving licence for a car could benafit all. So people get aware of what a potential deadly drive they are about to do unless they act responsible and with knowledge. Hinch minimize face plant risk or injure an innocent bystander.

City traffic is not for the faint hearted. People tend to take less respect/regard for other people.

Licensing anything is always always always a disaster. You think licences are about safety? They are a cash grab, and gov't control over yet another aspect of your life. 

The gov't is not your friend. To hell with that, the gov't has no business deciding if I get to be mobile.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Being stupid or doing something stupid isn't entirely the same thing. However the consequences could be the same.

What? :blink1: 

Turning this to EUC riding....I am pretty sure all of us here do not want an EUB-ban. 

Getting into headlights for stupidity or consequences or status that give authorities argument to pass laws for a ban is simply put bad. 

Act stupid and it'll be expensive guaranteed.

Imho I still think an EUC-licence similar to a driving licence for a car could benafit all. So people get aware of what a potential deadly drive they are about to do unless they act responsible and with knowledge. Hinch minimize face plant risk or injure an innocent bystander.

Keep that ideology in your country.  We enjoy individual freedom here.  No nanny state.

City traffic is not for the faint hearted. People tend to take less respect/regard for other people.

So far, cars make room for me, maybe because they've never seen one before and have respect.  We still cherish excellence here...

Archived