How long can you physically ride for?

Meghan

Greetings!

I have never driven an electric unicycle but have one on order.  My experience thus far = borrowing my friends Onewheel and zipping around the beach.  I am hoping to use the unicycle for local transportation over the summer.  How long can you ride  before you get tired and your feet and legs start to hurt?  Is it realistic to think that this could be a good substitute for a rental car?  I am not sure if long journeys are possible or if I need to come up with another plan.  (This is after I can master riding on one of these things of course.)  I justified buying my onewheel because it worked out a lot cheaper than a rental car or multiple daily Uber rides.    Just wondering if I made the right decision or if I might need to come up with another plan.  I know that my arches start to kill me about 5 minutes in to using the Onewheel...not sure if the Unicycle will be the same or not.  

Meghan

Even motorcycle riders take a break every hour or two, so just take a foot break whenever you need to. Seems like just getting off the wheel for 15 seconds does the trick a lot of the time

It depends on the individual. More than likely you will have stops for lights, stop signs, etc., if you are going to use it for commuting and errand running. That is enough relief for many to be able to go 1,2 .. hours. How far you can go is a function of time and speed. If you can ride for one hour with out taking a deliberate break, then your average speed will determine how far you can go. On a slow wheel or slow riding style that may be <= 10 miles. A faster rider may average 15 mph or more. What wheel have you ordered and what type of range do you need/expect?

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

I get tired after about 10-15 miles and need a foot resting break. Some of these guys laugh at that though, so it depends on your feet :D

:efefe00999: :) :D :laughbounce2: :roflmao:

10-miles is a warm-up for me. I can ride 50-miles with nary a stop.

It depends on the route for me. If it's just straight and empty space like on a bike path I tend to get numb feet after a short while. If I go off-road, for the other extreme, I usually don't have to stop at all and just happen to step off the wheel because of obstacles. The more variety in the track the less tired I get, I guess. 

About 1 hour.  When I ride for longer than an hour I take the King Song KS-18S.   It has a seat so you can go for hours, not a problem.  You do have to learn to ride seated to give your feet some rest.

Depends a lot on your shoes and the terrain.

My normal shoes are for some reason much more comfortable than my ankle covering hiking shoes.

Riding on flat asphalt gets tiring soon, while riding on non-paved dirt/gravel roads/paths basically massages your soles and adjust your position constantly, much more pleasant.

So the consensus seems to be between 1-50 miles.  LOL.  Thanks guys!  ?Guess I will have to get mine and see what I can do with it.   Sadly I wasn't born with hooves so I will have to see how I do with plain human feet + skateboard shoes.   I don't have far to go for most places (5 miles on average) , but I thought it would be cool to pick a few further away destinations (34km) to see if I can make it or not.  I really don't want to have to pay to rent a car if I can have fun on my unicycle outside instead.  Can't wait to get it and get past the learning phase.  I can ride a Onewheel, so fingers crossed that this will give me an advantage.

22 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I get tired after about 10-15 miles and need a foot resting break. Some of these guys laugh at that though, so it depends on your feet :D

Drat.  My feet start to hurt almost instantly on a Onewheel, but I am a bit of a newbie.  Hopefully I won't end up wheeling my unicycle beside me everywhere instead of riding it.

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My normal shoes are for some reason much more comfortable than my ankle covering hiking shoes.

Riding on flat asphalt gets tiring soon, while riding on non-paved dirt/gravel roads/paths basically massages your soles and adjust your position constantly, much more pleasant.

The city I will be riding around in consists of pretty smooth roads.  I foresee me needing to take lots of breaks.  I shall have to map out all the coffee shops on my route well in advance I guess.

20 hours ago, nte said:

I use these to help reduce the foot cramping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Foot-Anti-Fatigue-Compression-Sleeve-Circulation-Health-Relief-Ankle-Swelling-L/272627936400?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My right foot stays on on the wheel while my left is the foot on the ground and used to push off. My left foot starts cramping after 1-2 miles. So far I have 180miles and 35hours riding time on the wheel and I still get bad cramping. I also have a connective tissue tho. I'll be trying shoes with a stiffer sole next.

Hmmm.  I have started incorporating some one legged kettlebell deadlifts into my gym workout sessions.  I find balancing on the one leg  makes my feet hurt a lot, similar to how I feel when on a Onewheel.  I am hoping that working these unused muscles will make riding on a unicycle easier for me.  Thanks for the link - I will order these just in case and I make sure my feet are properly situated on the pedals. :)

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:efefe00999: :) :D :laughbounce2: :roflmao:

10-miles is a warm-up for me. I can ride 50-miles with nary a stop.

Wow.  Did you have to work up to that?  ?  50 miles is quite the ride!

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

By normal shoes do you mean flat bottomed skateboard friendly shoes?  I am guessing that these would work out better because there is more rubber gripping the surface of the pedal?

Archived