Safe temperature?

eddiemoy

After about 15 minutes of idling, I notice the temperature was well over 146 degrees F or 63 degrees C.  It was showing red for temperature.  I also saw the instant watt go above 2000 watts or close to 40 amps.  I was idling on my KS-16, not the Sports version.

@Marty Backe, what temperature did you get the King Songs to overheat at?

Just now, ir_fuel said:

Isn't that extremely stressful for your euc?

(well, looking at the temperature it is ? )

Yeh, as I was doing it every minute, the temperature jump 2-3 degrees.  LOL  Was wondering what the limit would be before it puts me on my ass or face.  

33 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Yeh, as I was doing it every minute, the temperature jump 2-3 degrees.  LOL  Was wondering what the limit would be before it puts me on my ass or face.  

It will go into overheat mode at 79C.Slow tiltback pendulums until cooldown,includes beeping.

Edited by Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

After about 15 minutes of idling, I notice the temperature was well over 146 degrees F or 63 degrees C.  It was showing red for temperature.  I also saw the instant watt go above 2000 watts or close to 40 amps.  I was idling on my KS-16, not the Sports version.

The KS14S and 18S overheat at ~80-degrees.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, US69 said:

Actually they warn you via voice or beeps before they overheat...guess it was about 80degree Celsius?

When you love your battery(wheel), idling for any longer time, just for fun is always a bad idea. Nothing puts more stress on Mosfets, board and battery.

Thats exactly the reason why the temperature rises up fast...extrem Mosfet/amps usage....Board temp sensor starting to rise.

Actually you can follow the rise of temperature when idling in realtime, as the temperature sensor is more near the mosfets than on a GW.

When i now reread your thread...as this even was a KS16, no series, i would definitly be careful to do that again.

This are not the same strong MOS than on the S Series and the board is by far not that robust than on a S Series....beside the MOSfets, on such a extreme stress also the capacitor wires may burn...(depending on board Version)

And severe tilt-back.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Oops!  Found out today after about 6 minutes of going hardcore on the idling the overheating temperature for the KS16 is 67 degrees Celsius!  It started beeping and I thought it was a car before I realized it was coming from the below me.  Lucky I got off before it started to tiltback.  When I was wheeling it back to my car it was 45 degrees tilted!  I’ll put up the video later.  

Yeah, the older KingSong's have a much lower overheat setpoint. My KS14C would overheat at that temperature.

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2018 at 8:22 AM, eddiemoy said:

temperature

Your topic got me interested in what my Monster temperature (Gotway app) was during todays ride. I checked a  few times and it was in the low (42ish) forties (C) for steady riding with a few stops in spring weather.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Your topic got me interested in what my Monster temperature (Gotway app) was during todays ride. I checked a  few times and it was in the low (42ish) forties (C) for steady riding with a few stops in spring weather.

I want to know the temp limit of each wheel.  Lol

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I want to know the temp limit of each wheel.  Lol

All pre S-Series wheels overheat at 67-degrees. S-Series overheat at 80-degrees.

Gotway wheels overheat at 79-degrees.

Bob, you'll have to bring your Monster into the mountains to get it to overheat. Or maybe do 10-minutes of reversals :)

• Upvote 1

Going backwards on the Monster? very tricky indeed, getting it wrong could be very expensive?

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bob, you'll have to bring your Monster into the mountains to get it to overheat. Or maybe do 10-minutes of reversals :)

I think both you and @eddiemoy misunderstand my post.

The fan kicks in in this spring weather and persists while turned on and not moving. I was curious what temp this was that Gotway's app measured given that my fan kicks in. I'm a conservative rider.... not into pendulums or mountain stressing the machine.....but I ride in traffic if you catch my thought.....Your 79 degree cutoff tells me I'm a long way from reaching it.... but your number for the Monster is worth knowing in case I hit a big hill (possible) or something.

@eddiemoy good luck nailing down all the cutoff temps.

12 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The fan kicks in in this spring weather and persists while turned on and not moving. I was curious what temp this was that Gotway's app measured given that my fan kicks in. I'm a conservative rider.... not into pendulums or mountain stressing the machine.....but I ride in traffic if you catch my thought.....Your 79 degree cutoff tells me I'm a long way from reaching it.... but your number for the Monster is worth knowing in case I hit a big hill (possible) or something.

From my Monster experience the fan kicks in at about 38-39 Celsius.

Which means it is running nearly all times. I have the Feeling the Monster is very temperature sensitive. Some (very small) hills or something other than slowly cruising, some accelerations or brakings, and the temperature gets very easy to 55-60 degree on my Monster. No matter if the Fan is running and no matter what the Outside temperatures are. (While on a a 30degree summer day this all goes up even faster)

I am thinking of giving my Monster some extra circulation...doing 2 holes in the Shell, nicely secured by some foam to protect it from dust, and also another fan to push some air through the Shell!

I have made great experience with such a mod on my old 1200W KS18a....which also had the tendency to run hot very fast. It has brought down the main temperature about 10degree without fan, and even more down when the fan was running then.

We will see, if i really do so, i will do a Review about this mod.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, US69 said:

Which means it is running nearly all times. 

Yeah.....

Ninebot doesn't have a fan so the sound of it running on the Gotway Monster is new to me.

I too am interested in things that are potentially hot......Let me make this point straight .....like this recently rendered scene. 

@eddiemoy , @Marty Backe 

https://flic.kr/p/26bBJq1

?

but I'm a bit fearful of things that get 'flash hot' with the Monster like the older woman on a bike with a friend during my Newburyport ride who said angrily 'that's cheating', or the Asian  looking guy who got on the train with his bike a stop before I got off and essentially said 'I really was planning on using your seat' in the  bike area of the car where I used two seat spaces (Monster in one space) on a near empty car and with ample bike space in the next car.

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Just to clarify for you or anyone else reading this, the wheels do not cut-out when you reach the over-heat temperature. They simply beep at you and tilt-back.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I'm a bit fearful of things that get 'flash hot' 

@Marty Backe

When I was in college and high school, after moving to the area from out of state, this missle site was active. My new route takes me near (in a nice residential community) but on the opposite side of the pond (in photo ) from the site. I could clearly see the pond on my last ride.

http://www.coldwar-ma.com/B-05_Danvers.html

http://ed-thelen.org/J-McGrath/NDANVERS.HTM

The Danvers rail trail, motorized vehicles not allowed, passes a bit north of the site. I've read that an actual Army post of some type exists now at part of the remaining site.

The Topsfield fair and fairgrounds, an annual event going back to that time in my memory, are just north and 180 degrees politically (?) from the former site.

?

Edited by Bob Eisenman
update url
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

@Marty Backe

When I was in college and high school, after moving to the area from out of state, this missle site was active (till 1974). My new route takes me near (in a nice residential community) but on the opposite side of the pond (in photo ) from the site. I could clearly see the pond on my last ride.

http://www.coldwar-ma.com/B-05_Danvers.html

http://ed-thelen.org/J-McGrath/NDANVERS.HTM

The Danvers rail trail, motorized vehicles not allowed, passes a bit north of the site. I've read that an actual Army post of some type exists now at part of the remaining site.

The Topsfield fair and fairgrounds, an annual event going back to that time in my memory, are just north and 180 degrees politically (?) from the former site.

?

The Nike sites numbered in the hundreds worldwide. 16 in the Los Angeles area.

One site at 2200 Redondo Ave, Long Beach

One well preserved site at

http://www.coldwarla.com/la-94.html

1964 .....end of  Nike missle era in LA. Short range 25ish miles, multiple control radar sites to detect threats and direct missile direction. Nuclear tipped in some facilities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.presstelegram.com/2015/04/21/recalling-the-mighty-nike-missiles-of-long-beach/amp/

"My brothers and I remember a time in the late 1950s when somebody (Air Force, Army??) built a Nike missile base near the Long Beach Airport. We used to play in the field and sneak up on the soldier during their drills. The missiles and living quarters were all underground. Do you remember any of that?”

Ah, yes, those sweet days of yore when we went down to the creek to collect polliwogs in glass jars and attack armed soldiers and rush home when the street lights came on to watch “Gunsmoke” while eating a Swanson’s Salisbury steak on a TV tray."

On 5/15/2018 at 2:22 PM, eddiemoy said:

I get spikes of 80/100 amps at times on my Msuper v3s+ xD Temp stays around 40c. 

• Like 1