What to buy? Tesla or ACM2

Hi guys, 

I’ve joined Electric Unicycle community around a year and a half ago. So basically, the first wheel that I learnt to ride on was INMOTION V5F.  Now I got to the point where I feel like I really want some crazy speed, because V5F can only do 23 km/h without reaching to tilt-back. 

I was looking for a new wheel and decided to buy Gotway. I don’t really like the new INMOTION V10F. So thought that I could ask your advice.

So here are some questions:

1) How fast you can safely ride Tesla or ACM2? 

2) Is there a significant difference between riding a wheel at 25km/h and for example 40km/h? What I mean is the overall feeling you experience.

3) I weight at around 58 kg, what range could I get from Tesla (1020wh) and ACM2 (1300wh)? 

4) What wheel would be more comfortable to ride? I know they both 16inch, but ACM2 looks like a tank compared to Tesla.

5) What’s approximate weight of both wheels? 

6) And the last, is Green Fashion shop at Ali a reliable place to buy those wheels? No unexpected  customs on Arrival?

Thank you in advance for your answers. 

14 minutes ago, theNight said:

Hi guys, 

I’ve joined Electric Unicycle community around a year and a half ago. So basically, the first wheel that I learnt to ride on was INMOTION V5F.  Now I got to the point where I feel like I really want some crazy speed, because V5F can only do 23 km/h without reaching to tilt-back. 

I was looking for a new wheel and decided to buy Gotway. I don’t really like the new INMOTION V10F. So thought that I could ask your advice.

So here are some questions:

Considering your weight, more than fast enough I would say (but don't forget to gear up :) ).

2) Is there a significant difference between riding a wheel at 25km/h and for example 40km/h? What I mean is the overall feeling you experience.

Lots of wind.

6) And the last, is Green Fashion shop at Ali a reliable place to buy those wheels? No unexpected  customs on Arrival?

I bought an Mten3 there and did not have to pay anything extra.

54 minutes ago, theNight said:

At around 10km/h. They are both Gotways you know...

YES there is! The feeling of speed increases exponentially, and passing 25km/h on an EUC it starts to turn to something different. The first time I got past my brain barrier and dared myself up to 30km/h, my instinct was to gear up. At 35km/h it is no longer the same peaceful cruising, it becomes a sport. It’s not just the wind either, even small cracks on the road become something you need to prepare for.

Now that I’m geared up I travel at my EUC’s maximum 35km/h if the road and traffic allows. If I had a faster wheel, I would sometimes go faster, but mostly just as short bursts.

3) I weight at around 58 kg, what range could I get from Tesla (1020wh) and ACM2 (1300wh)?

Rough estimate, absolute maximums 80 and 100km. In practice the fun would end somewhere at 60/80km, as the battery gets low enough requiring you to ride very lightly.

4) What wheel would be more comfortable to ride? I know they both 16inch, but ACM2 looks like a tank compared to Tesla.

@Marty Backe had an insight on this. IIRC, the Tesla is more like a fast, tiny modern sports car, and the ACM feels more like a 70’s muscle car. I think he likes the ACM2 more.

Many here have bought from there with good experiences. I would definitely confirm the tax situation from the seller before buying, not just here. Things may have changed as well.

With your weight which is close to mine, you could expect 100km easily in good conditions with an ACM 1600Wh (not called and windy) however the range will also highly depend on your riding style. Fast acceleration or riding above 30-35 will drain the battery rapidly.

Regarding confort I don't know what to say, Tesla is tall, ACM in more compact but maybe wider (not sure about that).

riding over 35kmh is dangerous in my opinion as thing comes very quickly, and the faster you go, the longer to brake, that's physics.

Tesla as a better design with a built-in trolley, however I keep preferring the ACM over the Tesla for its compactness, bigger battery and feeling. 

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

At around 10km/h. They are both Gotways you know...

YES there is! The feeling of speed increases exponentially, and passing 25km/h on an EUC it starts to turn to something different. The first time I got past my brain barrier and dared myself up to 30km/h, my instinct was to gear up. At 35km/h it is no longer the same peaceful cruising, it becomes a sport. It’s not just the wind either, even small cracks on the road become something you need to prepare for.

Now that I’m geared up I travel at my EUC’s maximum 35km/h if the road and traffic allows. If I had a faster wheel, I would sometimes go faster, but mostly just as short bursts.

Rough estimate, absolute maximums 80 and 100km. In practice the fun would end somewhere at 60/80km, as the battery gets low enough requiring you to ride very lightly.

@Marty Backe had an insight on this. IIRC, the Tesla is more like a fast, tiny modern sports car, and the ACM feels more like a 70’s muscle car. I think he likes the ACM2 more.

Many here have bought from there with good experiences. I would definitely confirm the tax situation from the seller before buying, not just here. Things may have changed as well.

I was going to reply to this thread, but I think @mrelwood said it all perfectly :thumbup:

Thank you guys for all of the answers. Just an one extra question. 

Is Mten3 capable of doing 35-40km/h for a long ride? Like is it possible to safely reach those speeds with full battery without uncomfortable tilt-back? 

7 hours ago, theNight said:

Thank you guys for all of the answers. Just an one extra question. 

Is Mten3 capable of doing 35-40km/h for a long ride? Like is it possible to safely reach those speeds with full battery without uncomfortable tilt-back? 

Although the Mten3 can reach those speeds without "uncomfortable tilt-back", the ride will be anything but comfortable. This is not a high-speed wheel except for short bursts of speed. This is because it's an extremely agile wheel that is not very stable, so the wheel is always being pulled this way and that. This is not a problem at slower speeds, but requires extreme concentration when going fast.

The Mten3 is an incredibly fun wheel, but IMHO it's not a wheel for cruising. 

the tesla is slim and tall while the acm is short and wide

imo form trying out different wheels the way the tesla touches your calf higher up feels imo like it is connecting more with your body giving the stable cruise feeling. while the acm shorter grip makes it feel easier to turn (all is preference)

i have a tesla. and i love it!

it may not be for all the way the tesla grips higher up but you get used to it. but it comes down to preference

i got about 60 km on it and im 90 kg. range is descent. i never find myself running low on battery. and these wheel also seem to go fast even at lower battery levels. but thenm when it gets to about 20 percent it quickly turn limp mode and max speed of 30kph then 20kph then 10kph

but i only got so low when i was riding on a forest trail with high hills and going 25 km to another place

and the speed it starts to beep (80% of max output) is about 49 kph and my max speed ever that is a little too risky. i will not attempt that ever again. was 52 kph

i usually stay under the 3rd alarm. like everyone should for safety and that is around 49 kph

it all comes down to preference. the only things setting them apart on paper is the acm2 has plus 280wh over the tesla. and the tesla has a built in trolley handle which i just cant live without. and i would not like having to fumble with an add on that can break easily 

On 5/16/2018 at 12:39 PM, Shad0z said:

the tesla is slim and tall while the acm is short and wide

imo form trying out different wheels the way the tesla touches your calf higher up feels imo like it is connecting more with your body giving the stable cruise feeling. while the acm shorter grip makes it feel easier to turn (all is preference)

i have a tesla. and i love it!

it may not be for all the way the tesla grips higher up but you get used to it. but it comes down to preference

i got about 60 km on it and im 90 kg. range is descent. i never find myself running low on battery. and these wheel also seem to go fast even at lower battery levels. but thenm when it gets to about 20 percent it quickly turn limp mode and max speed of 30kph then 20kph then 10kph

but i only got so low when i was riding on a forest trail with high hills and going 25 km to another place

and the speed it starts to beep (80% of max output) is about 49 kph and my max speed ever that is a little too risky. i will not attempt that ever again. was 52 kph

i usually stay under the 3rd alarm. like everyone should for safety and that is around 49 kph

it all comes down to preference. the only things setting them apart on paper is the acm2 has plus 280wh over the tesla. and the tesla has a built in trolley handle which i just cant live without. and i would not like having to fumble with an add on that can break easily 

Does it feel uncomfortable to ride the acm due to how wide it is?

21 minutes ago, Bigmac0678 said:

Does it feel uncomfortable to ride the acm due to how wide it is?

Every single wheel hits your legs in different spots and therefore there's always an acclimation period before everything feels perfectly comfortable. The ACM is very comfortable to me.

My first wheel was a KS-16s and when it died (or more accurately, I killed it by repeatedly crashing it into things as I learned how to ride) I decided to eliminate my range anxiety and get the ACM2. To be honest I am still not as good on the ACM2 as I was on my KS-16s. However, I can do all of the same things and I am slowly gaining confidence in it. I don't think it is the width that is causing my issues although I can't really identify what it is so maybe it has a little to do with it. I think it just takes time. I had probably 400 hours on the KS16 and I only have 10% of that on the ACM2 right now. You can probably get used to any wheel although each will have its quirks and pros and cons, that's why many of us end up collecting so many wheels because each has an area that they excel in and things you have to compensate for. I am satisfied with my ACM2 purchase and I am sure that in time I will develop the same sense of connectedness to it as I had with my KS-16s. I didn't have that either when I first started with that wheel either so I'm not sure why I expected it when I first got on my ACM2. I guess I thought it was just general learning to ride but I have come to realize part of it is just acclimation to each wheel's quirks.

I'm looking forward to the summer when all the 2018 big wheels are out so I can choose my next one but for now, I am happy riding around the wheels I have.

Archived