Android App for KS16S

brianle

Just got my new KS16S today, and overall it's nice --- though I was surprised that without some momentum when approaching a somewhat steep hill that this powerful motor seemed to crawl up the hill (did better if I approached the same hill at some speed).  And I'm not so keen on the constant high pitched noise (on top of the more typical motor noise).

But I can't unlock it.  Installed the v4 Android app on both my phone and android tablet, and tried quite a number of times on both to scan for my unit, and not only doesn't it find it, the v4 app doesn't find ANY bluetooth devices, and I've got multiple of them around.   I can easily and immediately go to bluetooth settings and connect the EUC to play music on its speakers --- something I really and truly don't care about.   But connecting the app to the machine I cannot do.  I tried to get whatever app is available via kingsong.com support, but the download always (and almost immediately) fails, a server issue on their end I speculate.  

I'd like to unlock this thing, but the instructions I got to do so require the v4 app to be able to find the unit.   It seems like an issue with the android app rather than with the machine itself, not only because pressing the 'scan' button shows no bluetooth devices, but also because looking at my phone's bluetooth connections via android setup, I do see KS-16S-1495 displayed as an available device --- in addition to KingSongMusic.

TIA for any thoughts on this problem.

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2018 at 6:09 AM, brianle said:

Just got my new KS16S today, and overall it's nice --- though I was surprised that without some momentum when approaching a somewhat steep hill that this powerful motor seemed to crawl up the hill (did better if I approached the same hill at some speed).  

Welcome!

Which firmware do you have ?   And which riding mode do you use ?  Be sure to set the riding to "expert mode".

On 5/13/2018 at 6:09 AM, brianle said:

But I can't unlock it.  Installed the v4 Android app on both my phone and android tablet, and tried quite a number of times on both to scan for my unit, and not only doesn't it find it, the v4 app doesn't find ANY bluetooth devices, and I've got multiple of them around. 

If you have Android 8.1, I can't help you, there are all sorts of bluetooth problems with it mentioned on the web. If you have an earlier version, make sure that your app is authorized for "location" and "storage". If it does not have "location" privileges, then bluetooth will not work, and if it does not have "storage" privileges, firmware update will not work.

You should also use the latest version of the actual app, which can be downloaded from here:  http://jc.cnaite.cn/data/apk/Kingsong_Aligned.apk

After installing the app, ignore all the registration and login requests, and just go into "device" mode, which should connect you to the wheel.

Edited by HermanTheGerman
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks so much!   Someday perhaps, all the required information will be in one place ...
Fortunately I have Android 8.0, not 8.1, and looking at the app settings for the v4 app and authorizing location and storage did the trick immediately.   I was able to go through the process to unlock (helpful I only have 8 km on this machine so far), and then adjust the speeds at which various beeps will go off.

Interestingly, after turning off the level 1 and 2 beeps and adjusting 3 & 4 warning levels to the top of my speed range (34 and 35 kph respectively for the 16S), I then downloaded the latest app using the link you kindly provided and ran that.  In order to get to the speed limit setting stuff on that, I had to create login info on with King Song, but then was surprised to find that while my level 1 & 2 warnings were still set down to 0 (off) as I had done with the v4 app, the level 3 & 4 warnings were now pegged at 20 kph each, couldn't be increased.   So unlocking in the v4 app doesn't seem to do anything that the latest app recognizes?   I went back to the v4 app and made sure to re-input the settings, so hopefully I'm still going to be able to exceed 20 kph now --- will try and see tomorrow.   Wish I had a better speedometer short of riding with my phone in my hand!   Oh well.

Firmware version is 1.03, which both apps indicate is the current version for a KS16S.  My riding mode was already set to expert (perhaps an artifact of unlocking?).

Anyway vielen dank, Hermann der Deutscher, your post was a BIG help!

7 hours ago, brianle said:

Interestingly, after turning off the level 1 and 2 beeps and adjusting 3 & 4 warning levels to the top of my speed range (34 and 35 kph respectively for the 16S), I then downloaded the latest app using the link you kindly provided and ran that.  In order to get to the speed limit setting stuff on that, I had to create login info on with King Song, but then was surprised to find that while my level 1 & 2 warnings were still set down to 0 (off) as I had done with the v4 app, the level 3 & 4 warnings were now pegged at 20 kph each, couldn't be increased.   So unlocking in the v4 app doesn't seem to do anything that the latest app recognizes?

Yeah, sorry I didn't warn you about that.  For some reason only the Kingsong folks know, the speed settings of the old app are ignored by the new app, and one needs a userid at Kingsong to reapply them with the new app (but it is not necessary).

If you are happy with the old app, stay with it, delete the new one, if you don't intend to do a fw upgrade.

Although the latest firmware is 1.05, there is no real need to upgrade, nothing useful has been added (as I have learned the new motordriver was included with 1.02 or 1.03). And the chinese servers are veeery slow, so it's often difficult to catch the new fw.

If you want to try a decent wheel app, give wheellog a chance, the developers are also here in the forum, latest download is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-MXRuVNMZMEnt97761abYbKB0ikAZPl/view?usp=sharing

Thread about it is here:

7 hours ago, brianle said:

Anyway vielen dank, Hermann der Deutscher, your post was a BIG help!

You are welcome!  Have fun with the wheel, as I do.

• Like 1

I used Wheellog today for a 5 km jaunt, a fine app.  Turns out that now that I have an unlocked unit that goes faster, at 25 kph or so I was already feeling nervous. I got to nearly 28 kph and quickly backed off. 

Perhaps a little more nervous than usual from a minor fall yesterday that left both wrists sore today (today I was wearing the wrist brace protectors!).   But I don't think so.  My other EUCs are capped at about 18 kph, and I was periodically wanting to go a bit faster without beeping or warnings or tiltback as a result, but at this point I'm doubting that I'll ever take it above 30 kph.  At least not without chin guard on helmet, wristguards, knee and elbow pads --- a suit of armor might be not be amiss either, or at least a lot of leather!

So nice now, though, to be able to just go the speed that I feel like going.  Thanks again.

17 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Although the latest firmware is 1.05, there is no real need to upgrade, nothing useful has been added (as I have learned the new motordriver was included with 1.02 or 1.03). And the chinese servers are veeery slow, so it's often difficult to catch the new fw.

Hy Herman,

i guess i have to jump back a bit with whats in the update and whats not....

Yesterday i updated my 18S to V1.06, finally they now set the Servers free for IOS, too!

...and while i have been told there have been no Motor Firmware changes, i  definitly experienced a better torque and could do easier idling because of the new firmware. Even the Sound of the wheel humming got a bit less loud in my view!

SO i have to ask again what really changes and what not. Sorry, when confusing or leading you a wrong way...i would definitly advise to upgrade to newest Version with These changes :-)

What i also got with the new update was a new LED light mode, even on the 18S, which only has the small 10 LED bar in front.

When playing Music over Bluetooth, the battery LED's now flicker like a Equalizer in Music rythm!

I have seen that "new LED mode" in Video on the 18L and so i would guess this new LED mode now is also implemented on the 14d/s and 16S series, also.

Making a Kind of LED boombox out of your wheel :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, US69 said:

Hy Herman,

i guess i have to jump back a bit with whats in the update and whats not....

Yesterday i updated my 18S to V1.06, finally they now set the Servers free for IOS, too!

...and while i have been told there have been no Motor Firmware changes, i  definitly experienced a better torque and could do easier idling because of the new firmware. Even the Sound of the wheel humming got a bit less loud in my view!

SO i have to ask again what really changes and what not. Sorry, when confusing or leading you a wrong way...i would definitly advise to upgrade to newest Version with These changes ?

What i also got with the new update was a new LED light mode, even on the 18S, which only has the small 10 LED bar in front.

When playing Music over Bluetooth, the battery LED's now flicker like a Equalizer in Music rythm!

I have seen that "new LED mode" in Video on the 18L and so i would guess this new LED mode now is also implemented on the 14d/s and 16S series, also.

Making a Kind of LED boombox out of your wheel ?

Do you think these also apply to the 14S?