V22 Osprey photo

@Rehab1

This picture is from the (OpSail 2012 two hundredth anniversary of war of 1812)Tall Ships in Boston 2012. The photo is of a V22 Osprey on the deck of a ship in port.

If I remember correctly the deck below the exhaust of the engines was a special treatment , maybe for heat resistance.

A public walk through was allowed.

Your accumulated helicopter flight time reminded me of this picture that I recently recovered from an old camera.

https://flic.kr/p/24kNrFf

Thanks Bob. Did it reminded you of the helicopter crashes I was involved in? The V22 is controversial given the numerous crashes and excessive cost per flight hour ($88,000) but the concept is extraordinary. 

35 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Did it reminded you of the helicopter crashes I was involved in?

Not really. I'm sometimes surprised that a flight capable guy like yourself has such a strong interest in riding an EUC rather than flying (whatever your pleasure).

35 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The V22 is controversial

But to keep up the image of a successful aircraft it's been deployed in many operations. Looking at it in 2012 on the deck ,from the front , there was a few degrees lateral tilt linkage on each engine...no doubt to make ingress and egress laterally onto the flight deck more easy to accomplish. The recovery from full speed forward flight to hover is supposed to be a bit queasy with all kinds of induced stalls and rotor tilt occurring. Takeoffs are supposedly  reasonably achievable in a short take off scenario with rotors forward pitched. God forbid your wingman passes too close overhead on landing in billowing sand conditions or whatever obscures situation awareness.

A V22 Osprey landed on Boston Common a few years ago. Several large tree limbs broke off from prop wash down as the Osprey passed low towards the landing point

The presumed pilot (2012 flight deck) wearing colored glasses seemed a bit uneasy with the public openness of the display aboard the amphibious assault ship. Cobra gunship farther down the flight deck and mondo (really big) twin engine hovercraft was below decks at the water line, vehicles for landing aboard it. A variety of small arms on display below deck by active crew members.

I had a fascination with flight Sims for a few years. Numerous sims do the v22.....which in reality (up close) is a very different impression. In the sims the flap settings (automatic) play a major role.  Around that time (2012?) a v22 flew over where I lived with rotors tilted at about 30 degrees off the vertical in a kind of cruise-hover mode.

Archived