The future is not 30 mph EUCs

Jerome

Some people think this forum should be about helping newcomers immerse themselves into the euc life. Others think it should be about sharing our experiences with our wheels so that we are all better informed. Some think its about mastering the machine and showing ones prowless. Still others are here just to find out what EUC will give them the biggest thrill or stature. In truth the forum is about whatever the dominate posters and respondents make it. 

I find the postings and responses to often be informative, sometimes humorous and rarely annoying. I have yet to see a posting, however, mentioning the white elephant in the room. Do people really believe that riders will continued to be allowed to ride >=30 mph vehicles without registration/insurance/type acceptance standards, etc. very far into the near future? Maybe in CA .. maybe. Its a numbers game.  If the number of  powerful EUCs or even powerful e-scooters like the Dualtrons and Speedays make them significantly more on the radar, and the irresponsible yahoo types do their thing (and we know they will), even CA may cave in to more restrictive laws. The rest of the country will become aware that EUCs are not one wheeled Segways and are capable of leaving mopeds in their dust. Europe is already there. They may rescind the ban on EUCS but they are not going to allow them to be high speed vehicles. Most of Asia is restricted on the speed. Singapore once a Dualtron-Speedway e-scooter heaven has recently enacted some new draconian laws that restricts the speed on all so-called PMDs (personal  mobility devices)  including pedal bikes! It is not only the "wisdom" of bureaucrats that will be pushing the upcoming purge. It will Be companies like Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio, Moped vendors, "purest bikers", "concerned citizens" etc. Some commuter at a light on their new 50cc scooter in which they spent a couple of thousand dollars on, had to get plates, insurance, etc. sees someone on a powerful EUC keep pace, ride on and off the sidewalk when inclined, squeeze pass cars in the narrowest of corridors, obey or not obey stops signs, and take their vehicle inside when you both arrive at work. I sure some will come up with the smug response that they should sell the Honda and get a wheel. Well that is not likely what will be going through their mind and certainly not through their Honda dealer's mind that sold the scoot. There is absolutely no justification for a 30 mph EUC to be classified as a non vehicle with all the privileges there-in. It's not going to last boys and girls. My next purchase is likely to be banned or restricted in the coming days. I hope to get a lot of use before that happens. The white elephant in the room is currently standing, but when it sits (and it will sit) its going to squash a lot of enjoyment and investments in the process. Enjoy while you can. Only Marty and his crew will still be riding .. riding  .. riding in the lawless Badlands trails of Southern Ca.

Yeah, I think many of us are aware that we're currently operating in a grey-area where these devices are concerned.  

Just a tip, but include paragraphs in your posts.  It will make it much easier for others to read what you have to say.  I would hate for folks to just see a wall of text and give up on reading something you put effort into.  

I'm just here to hit on the hot electric unicycle women.   Where are all the hot electric unicycle women?  Please direct me to where these women are.   All I got are middle aged men and pre-middle aged men following me which BTW is just a little bit creepy.   :ph34r:

As to the legalities of these wheels, I wouldn't worry too too much for the time being.  EUCs are still fairly rarefied as to not register on most people's radar.  As long as we all ride safely, smartly, responsibly and respectably it will help the community continue to be seen in a positive light.

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm just here to hit on the hot electric unicycle women.   Where are all the hot electric unicycle women?  Please direct me to where these women are.   All I got are middle aged men and pre-middle aged men following me which BTW is just a little bit creepy.   :ph34r:

As to the legalities of these wheels, I wouldn't worry too too much for the time being.  EUCs are still fairly rarefied as to not register on most people's radar.  As long as we all ride safely, smartly, responsibly and respectably it will help the community continue to be seen in a positive light.

I'm noticing more hot younger women actually ask me about EUC they never seen before... Just waiting for the right one to show how it's done... Hunka you need to get out more...

I believe that in the UK, where pedalecs are limited to 15mph, you can actually buy a speed pedalec (up to 28mph) but your have to register it as a moped, obtain all required insurance, fit a plate, and follow the associated rules (no sidewalks... Ever) . It is rarely done and difficult to find someone who knows how to do it. 

For these devices the era you speak of is already here in some countries. It is just a matter of time until the US catches up, and the of course it will vary from state to state. 

The premise that the same measures we use to regulate other vehicles should apply to EUCs is flawed.

EUCs should not require insurance. They just don't pose a substantial threat to others. 

EUCs should be allowed on sidewalks (which for the most part go unused). 

There is no good reason why an EUC shouldn't be allowed to travel at speeds of 30+ mph. The capacity to travel at higher speeds enable EUCs to be safer around traffic, and the extra power acts as a buffer that reduces the chance of a cut-out. 

Here in Florida, mopeds can travel at higher speeds and do not require any insurance. E-bikes that can travel at 28mph and mopeds with pedals can do so on sidewalks.

I'm not saying that EUCs should not be regulated. All I'm saying is that the regulations should make sense. It is up to us to educate others about the nature of EUCs and help create a framework that works.

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Good to know!  I have been trying to hook my friend up with the right person for years, so you are in luck.  Here is her pic.   Don’t forget to invite me to your wedding!  ???

086275CE-4445-4234-B897-78A21A04A827.jpeg

50 minutes ago, wheelr said:

The premise that the same measures we use to regulate other vehicles should apply to EUCs is flawed.

EUCs should not require insurance. They just don't pose a substantial threat to others. 

There is no good reason why an EUC shouldn't be allowed to travel at speeds of 30+ mph. The capacity to travel at higher speeds enable EUCs to be safer around traffic, and the extra power acts as a buffer that reduces the chance of a cut-out. 

Here in Florida, mopeds can travel at higher speeds and do not require any insurance. E-bikes that can travel at 28mph and mopeds with pedals can do so on sidewalks.

I'm not saying that EUCs should not be regulated. All I'm saying is that the regulations should make sense. It is up to us to educate others about the nature of EUCs and help create a framework that works.

I think ebikes are actually limited to 20mph on Florida. Last I read there was no recognition of speed pedelecs at all and nowhere else in the US where they are recognized have I seen it being legal to use them on sidewalks, bike paths, or trails. If you've seen otherwise please let me know. 

1 hour ago, Meghan said:

Good to know!  I have been trying to hook my friend up with the right person for years, so you are in luck.  Here is her pic.   Don’t forget to invite me to your wedding!  ??

:dribble: Be still my beating heart!  I'm sure my Tesla and your friend would have many beautiful MTen3 babies together, but I was kinda thinking along slightly different lines.  But whatdaheck I'll take it!  :w00t2:

1 hour ago, Meghan said:

Good to know!  I have been trying to hook my friend up with the right person for years, so you are in luck.  Here is her pic.   Don’t forget to invite me to your wedding!  ???

086275CE-4445-4234-B897-78A21A04A827.jpeg

Forget your friend. Can I please have her with my trade-in wife?

I think we are likely to see the speeds these things can reach go up until we hit catastrophic (someone will probably kill themselves by winning the Darwin Award) and then drop again.  In this sense, we're probably looking at 40+ mph eucs before they stop going up in speed.  

I don't see them becoming popular enough to be very recently or heavily regulated in Florida. Too many "I could never ride that!" self limiters here.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Rehab1 said:

giphy.gif

?

A warm welcome to the forum Mrs. Rehab1. With your awesome name comes great responsibility. Compliment others when they deserve it, be polite and kind, be generous with your belongings, be honest, be a forward thinker, and have a sense of humor while always remembering that if you dish it out be prepared to take it. 

Oh...one last thing....Pay Backs Are A Bitch.  :roflmao:

19 hours ago, wheelr said:

Sidewalks may go unused in Florida but that is only because being a pedestrian in Florida is to be living in a killing field. Eight of the 10 most dangerous cities are in Florida. 

Having any sort of mixed traffic sharing a space with a big speed differential is dangerous. That is why they don't allow bicycles on interstate highways. If you allow EUCs on sidewalks and they can go ten times faster than the pedestrians sharing the space, there will be bad accidents. 

i don't know - they're still kind of niche, and when people do ask me questions and/or express interest their tone is usually a mixture of awe, puzzlement and fear. i try to make it sound easy, but also mention how bashed up my lower legs and and ankles got (and sometimes still do ;) ) learning. i usually mention this forum if they seem extra-curious. only a handful of people i've interacted with seemed to seriously consider looking into buying one... but that's just my guess.. who knows?

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

EUC's should be allowed where bicycles are allowed. Simple as that.

That's the law in California :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's the law in California :thumbup:

Yes, CA got it right. Other states keep modifying laws based on strength of lobbyist. PA, Philadelphia in particular has a strong bicycle lobby. Consequentially electric bikes are classified as bikes "including" those that can be ridden only using throttle. Electric kick scooter are banned, even those that go around 15 mph. EUCs and e-boards are in a grey area. Even if EUCs are included in the EPMD category they will be limited to Segway 12.5 mpg speed.

An enlighten approach for all states would be to subject bikes and EPMDs to the following maximum speeds: 12.5 (speed of traffic in dense areas) when ridding on sidewalk with pedestrian traffic, 30 mph in bike lanes or extreme right side of road when no bike lanes available, and 20-25 on hiking trails or at posted speeds by local authorities. EMPDs should includes EUCs, E-boards, e-bikes, and e-Kickscooters.  EMPDs that go faster than 30 mph should have to ride in regular traffic. Plates, insurance not required as Darwinian laws will prevail.?

48 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Yes, CA got it right. Other states keep modifying laws based on strength of lobbyist. PA, Philadelphia in particular has a strong bicycle lobby. Consequentially electric bikes are classified as bikes "including" those that can be ridden only using throttle. Electric kick scooter are banned, even those that go around 15 mph. EUCs and e-boards are in a grey area. Even if EUCs are included in the EPMD category they will be limited to Segway 12.5 mpg speed.

An enlighten approach for all states would be to subject bikes and EPMDs to the following maximum speeds: 12.5 (speed of traffic in dense areas) when ridding on sidewalk with pedestrian traffic, 30 mph in bike lanes or extreme right side of road when no bike lanes available, and 20-25 on hiking trails or at posted speeds by local authorities. EMPDs should includes EUCs, E-boards, e-bikes, and e-Kickscooters.  EMPDs that go faster than 30 mph should have to ride in regular traffic. Plates, insurance not required as Darwinian laws will prevail.?

If I remember correctly, the only speed limit mentioned in the California rules is 20-mph. None of this 12-mph garbage.

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If I remember correctly, the only speed limit mentioned in the California rules is 20-mph. None of this 12-mph garbage.

Yeah, but 20 mph on sidewalks doesn't play on the east coast. You couldn't go faster than 5-8 mph even if there was no limit. Where you live you see the occasional dog walker on the sidewalks. We see as many people  that live in your whole neighborhood, within two city blocks in some locations. Even residential areas have significant traffic to make 12.5 mph more than enough. Bike lanes are the way to go on the "right" coast. That said I would gladly embrace CA laws here in PA, NJ, NY, MD!?

I'm comfortable and satisfied with 20-25mph for EUCs. At 30mph+, impact energy is double what it is at 20mph, and when operating at those speeds, they can be pretty dangerous. Especially when you consider that there really isn't anywhere for you to ride at that speed other than in the street with the cars.

Archived