Qflash BIOS on computer boot up

Qflash BIOS utility on boot

Last Monday I sat down at my desktop PC to do some work. I booted the Windows Vista PC, a build it yourself project from a few years ago, and instead of going to the Windows login screen after hard drive posting it went to the built-in BIOS flash app called Qflash.

Qflash allows the user to either save the current BIOS to flash media or to load a BIOS from a flash drive to reprogram the BIOS ROM.

I tried saving and reloading the current BIOS, clearing the CMOS by shorting a jumper on the main board and I tried replacing the main board 2032 button battery. All of these failed in an effort to reach the Windows login screen. Less advised and not attempted was to upgrade the BIOS version.

What solved the problem, a bad USB keyboard , was to use an older non-usb keyboard which did not create keyboard based errors causing the Qflash screen to appear.

So.....a bad USB keyboard  had caused the problem of Qflash appearing on boot.

Using the suspect keyboard on another Gigabyte main board Ubuntu PC while booting.......... launched.....you guessed it....Qflash BIOS utility......rather than the Ubuntu login screen. Replacing the suspect keyboard with another USB keyboard resulted in a successful boot to the Ubuntu login screen.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...